May 20, 2024, 10:06:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554753 times)
Tony oily bike

« Reply #720 on: June 13, 2015, 10:11:13 AM »

"Classic Bike Meet" on August 16th ? - you guys going to the Ramsgate Sprint Revival (vintage & classic bike show, Wall of Death, Funfair, live music, Sprint Demonstrations) ?

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14522.0

http://ramsgatesprintrevival.com/index.html

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #721 on: June 13, 2015, 08:57:39 PM »

Popham Megameet at Popham airfield.
I have to work all day on Saturdays, so it's Sunday-only events for me I'm afraid.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #722 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:05 PM »

Lovely little chop mr manky..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #723 on: July 28, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »

Thank you.
Not sure if I've mentioned it before in this thread, but now I'm in my 50s, I've decided I don't want to spend the rest of my life building things -I want to get out & enjoy the vehicles I've got. So my truck & my bike are my last, but they're the keepers.
I've had half a dozen XSs over the years. Lots of other bikes in between, but I keep coming back to them. They're the level of biking I'm comfortable with. Fast enough to be fun without being stupidly fast, basic enough to be fixable, stylish enough to be cool. I'm hoping this one will be a good, rideable mile muncher. If it makes me grin it's doing it's job  Smiley
Hope to have the frame powder coated & the tank painted in time for the Popham show, but it won't be finished. Not far off though.

kapri

« Reply #724 on: July 28, 2015, 07:54:02 PM »

"Not sure if I've mentioned it before in this thread, but now I'm in my 50s, I've decided I don't want to spend the rest of my life building things"

Yeah, I keep saying that as well Andy but can't seem to follow it through. 
stinkey

« Reply #725 on: July 28, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »

I'm getting where your at dude..and feeling the same way some days..being at home every day ( albeit poor health ) does allow me more building time..defo no more hot rods for me..but iv got to do something ,life's boring otherwise

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #726 on: July 28, 2015, 08:19:11 PM »

Smiley I'd love to have the time & money to try other stuff. Got no intention of giving up, but if I weren't always working on projects, I'd have the time & the money  Smiley
I figure if I say it often & publicly enough, people will stop me taking on anything else!

kapri

« Reply #727 on: July 28, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »

I'm getting where your at dude..and feeling the same way some days..being at home every day ( albeit poor health ) does allow me more building time..defo no more hot rods for me..but iv got to do something ,life's boring otherwise

Like yourself I HAVE to do something .Without doing it I'll sit about slowly seizing with increasing pain. At least if I do something I have a reason for the pain Wink
stinkey

« Reply #728 on: July 28, 2015, 11:48:46 PM »

Iv Sussed it..kev and I can watch monkey build the stuff while we direct from the sideline while eating jaffas and drinking tea..   " don't do it like that,do it like this !"

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #729 on: July 28, 2015, 11:54:24 PM »

you could be the Manky Monkey peanut gallery!

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
stinkey

« Reply #730 on: July 28, 2015, 11:57:47 PM »

Do we spit out the peanuts thru peashooters..he,he..

kapri

« Reply #731 on: July 29, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »

Iv Sussed it..kev and I can watch monkey build the stuff while we direct from the sideline while eating jaffas and drinking tea..   " don't do it like that,do it like this !"

That's mostly my current mode of operation but I struggle to get the staff Wink
stinkey

« Reply #732 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »

Yes why is it they don't want to do it for us old crips?  It's not like we know it all or we're grumpy ?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #733 on: August 07, 2015, 05:59:36 PM »

So. With just a week or so till the Popham Megameet bike show & with the Yam' all in one piece in bare metal in the garage, it's time to pull it all apart, paint it, then panic about getting it back together in time.  Tongue
I've got a couple of wiring holes to drill & a mounting tab to make for the rear brake reservoir, but otherwise, it's just a case of cleaning up some scruffy welds around the back of the engine cradle & sorting through the pile of bike parts I've taken off to decide what needs powder coating. The frame, yokes & any small parts will all be gloss black. Hopefully I can aerosol spray the tank in green before next weekend too.
Had a minor panic when I suddenly realised the battery box is missing. I remembered taking it to the coaters about a month ago, but not actually collecting it. A quick call to them confirmed it's still sitting there waiting. So I'll pick that up when I drop the frame off on Monday. It'll be tight, but they reckon they can have everything coated by Thursday night.
While that's being done, I've been collecting some of the service parts I need -new headstock bearings, fork seals, front & rear wheel bearings, clutch cable, sprockets etc. I'll clean up & fit as many as I can while it's apart, but it's just going together again for the show. I'm not planning on having it road worthy till the Spring now. I've rented a van to take Tom's XS & mine to the show next weekend.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #734 on: August 07, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: