May 17, 2024, 08:11:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554141 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #525 on: September 21, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »

Been a while since I worked on the bike. Other projects getting in the way.
Had a couple of hours to myself in the workshop this evening though, so I cleaned up the rear numberplate mount I began a while ago. Bashed out of a flat sheet of steel & rolled & bent, then bashed some more, until it fitted under the mudguard. I had to cut it in a couple of places to follow the shape I was after, so Mr Loon then welded the gaps up & I cleaned the welds back. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #526 on: September 21, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »

Bolted in place under the guard. I hate side mount numberplates. I've had them on several of my old bikes, but never been happy with them. So I'm using a 5" x 7" plate, curved to the profile of the tyre.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:55:15 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #527 on: September 21, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »

I'm going to re-register the bike, but found a place on Ebay selling flexible Perspex plates, for trials bikes, & wanted to see how much they'd bend. They were only 6 quid, so I had one made with the original bike reg on it. They're normal hard Perspex, so are reflective, but have enough give in them to curve around the tyre. I'll add a yellow plastic numberplate screw in each corner to keep it in place, (taped in place for now). I have a small LED light that'll tuck up under the lip of the guard to illuminate the plate.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #528 on: September 21, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »

That looks quite smart - and legal as well!  - a bonus!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #529 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »

Plate size should actually be 7" x 9". The digits are the correct size, but the spacing between them is less than it should be & the overall size is 2" smaller each way than standard. I've run this sized plate on most of my bikes in the past though & never had a problem. A lot of sports bike riders use 4" x 6", which is literally the size of a postcard & unreadable from more than 10 feet away.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #530 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »

This is the size I have used for many years, and is a standard plate, turned through 90 degrees and shortened accordingly!and I have had no probs. to date! Roll Eyes...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #531 on: September 22, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »

I'm going to re-register the bike

Hi Andy, maybe I've missed something  Roll Eyes, but why are you re-registering?
Thought you still have:
The original headstock/front frame section section and hence VIN as per log book.
Original engine number as per log book.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #532 on: September 22, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »

And a frame that's been cut in half.
Yamaha, (or any other high volume manufacturer), is granted a licence to build bikes, based on a sample batch of vehicles submitted to VOSA for testing. They guarantee their quality control will ensure every bike will be the same & meet the same test standards. In return, they get a licence to build, say, 10,000 bikes. All the same.
Some muppet in a shed hacks the frame in half & builds his own back end from whatever he's got laying around, chrome moly, ERW, cheese, whatever. However good he may think he is, it's not the same vehicle any more. It hasn't been tested & may well be lethal, not just to him but to every other road user. It's supposed to be tested & given a new identity.
If you build a hotrod you can use an old chassis & can add extra outriggers or strengthening, but can't remove anything, to stop you compromising it's structural integrity. Same with a bike. Older British bikes had 2 part frames that bolt together in the middle, so you can mix & match front & back ends. All modern bikes are one piece. Cut it in half, it should be re-registered.
There's a million hardtailed bikes out there though & no-one seems to bother with re-registration. Presumably the relevant authorities just aren't as clued up as the car guys. Things are changing though & the whole system's gradually tightening up. Having put my truck through the test & now starting a roadster build that'll also be properly tested, I know it ain't as hard to pass as some think & I'd rather get it right now, than have an MOT refused somewhere down the line & a letter telling me to submit it for testing.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #533 on: September 22, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »

OK, can see some logic. Have no issue in road going vehicles being "fit for purpose" (so long as its not by the cheese-builder).

If the bike is examined (and passes), does it therefore loose it identity as a Yamaha (as per the four wheeled Manky Wagon?) and require a new frame number along with a new registration number?

Will reg number be a Q plate?

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
digger06

« Reply #534 on: September 22, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »

A lot of sports bike riders use 4" x 6", which is literally the size of a postcard & unreadable from more than 10 feet away.

Sad not round here though, you can get away with an inch or so, but thats about it...

kapri

« Reply #535 on: September 22, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »

OK, can see some logic. Have no issue in road going vehicles being "fit for purpose" (so long as its not by the cheese-builder).

If the bike is examined (and passes), does it therefore loose it identity as a Yamaha (as per the four wheeled Manky Wagon?) and require a new frame number along with a new registration number?

Will reg number be a Q plate?

Yup, to all of those.
andbolt0

« Reply #536 on: September 22, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »

when a bike is cut in halve and a new back end usualy hardtailed does it under go any sort of weld testing
kapri

« Reply #537 on: September 22, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »

when a bike is cut in halve and a new back end usualy hardtailed does it under go any sort of weld testing

MSVA  has non destructive inspection ie it has a good looking at ,if it looks like a pigeon has been near it then it's going to fail Wink
merv

« Reply #538 on: September 22, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »

MSVA  has non destructive inspection ie it has a good looking at ,if it looks like a pigeon has been near it then it's going to fail Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #539 on: September 27, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »

Got the exhausts back from the chromers today. £175. Ooh shiny!

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: