May 17, 2024, 08:48:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554147 times)
Archie

« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »

cheaper - doubtful

easier - definately
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »

Haven't even opened the door of the shed for weeks. Ventured in there this morning & it's full of cobwebs & has that musty, damp smell, (the roof leaks like Niagra Falls).
I finally picked up a pair of finned exhaust clamps from Ebay a couple of weeks ago & also bought a pair of 930 Amal concentric carbs. The guy I bought them from was very nice on the phone, but lousy at shipping stuff out -I Paypal'd him the money nearly 5 weeks ago & they finally arrived this morning. I was on the point of contacting Paypal. Although my particular carbs weren't advertised on Ebay, he sells stuff there regularly, so I wasn't sure what I could do to get my money back.
Anyway, they've arrived safe & sound & he threw in a set of gaskets, plus fitted the correct size main jets for me, so I'm happy. No real reason for switching from the standard Mikuni vacuum carbs, other than I'm old fashioned & like something mechanical that even I can understand, that's easy to adjust & which I can buy new repair parts for if necessary -plus I think they look cool. Burlen Fuel Systems, who still make Amals as well as the SU carbs fitted to Reliants, sell polished aluminium bell mouths for these. They also do cast aluminium ram pipes,, which I'll probably go for, just cos I think they look better.
Still waiting for Loony's frame building jig to become available, but I'm quite looking forward to tinkering with this project over the Winter.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:54:10 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »

Japanese Mikuni vacuum carbs

British mark 1 Amal concentric carbs

Tony oily bike

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »

Cool.

Putting on a couple of 'real' roundslides as opposed to the old CVs sure makes the old XS look better (older/more traditional), and makes fettling a whole lot easier!!!!
Plus all the bits are so easily available for the amals too.

About to change my XS's CVs for a pair of Mikuni VM32s which ironically is what comes in replacement kits for ’69 – ‘78 Bonnies replacing the Amals, (maybe that's where your chap gets them from!!)

Depending on the space available, changing the inlet trumpet’s length will change the engine chracteristics (low down torque or top end oomph). Good old Phil Irving explains all in "Tuning for Speed".

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
hornet6

« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »

Hi. I like the way the tank looks in bare steel. Ive started to make my own seat pan which i might be selling on the good old ebay soon.I will try and get some pics on at the weekend.They will be the basic pan shape similar to your seat,but made in stainless steel with a swirled pattern edge,to give it a hot-rod look about it.Then a smaller piece fits over the top,which can be padded.When you see it you,ll know what ime on about.

no projects ever finished
Mr_G

« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »

Coming on nicely I see

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2010, 10:02:48 PM »

Smiley
Just collecting parts at the moment. Haven't built a chop for decades. I want to keep it real bare-bones simple -no electric start, nothing it doesn't need to make it go, stop & point in roughly the right direction.
Seat sounds interesting -I'd like to see some pics of that.
Mr Oily- I'm only fitting trumpets for the looks -so which is better for normal road use -long or short 'uns? (found me a buyer for that pair of 26 mills yet?   Smiley  )

Cabman77

« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2010, 09:30:31 AM »

I`ve got a pair of those Amal carbs sitting here doing nothing. Did start to fit them to my virago but had a new standard set land in my lap so took the easy route.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »

Now you tell me! Typical.
I bought a pair of 26mm ones from Ebay by mistake -too small. The latest set are 30mm.
So if anyone wants a pair of 26mm mark 1s, taken off a 1972 Triumph Daytona 500cc twin, they're going for 30 quid the pair.

Archie

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:01 PM »

I want to keep it real bare-bones simple -no electric start.

Did you not see the effort trying to get mine running again today. And when it folded it sidestand up, fell over where i caught it and trapped the bridge of my toes / foot between the frame rail and ground. I swear it was in the air balanced on my foot.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2010, 12:01:48 AM »

Ha, ha, ha!!
Experience lad -I come from an age when youngsters knew how to use a kick-start. 

Tony oily bike

« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »

Mr Manky sir, re your Trumpets.

Today, you should be mostly using............................. long trumpets (for low down power)

Shorter trumpets/velocity stacks are for the higher rev range.

Whether you'll actually notice any difference is perhaps a different matter

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Clive

« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2010, 05:22:19 PM »

I want to keep it real bare-bones simple -no electric start.

Did you not see the effort trying to get mine running again today. And when it folded it sidestand up, fell over where i caught it and trapped the bridge of my toes / foot between the frame rail and ground. I swear it was in the air balanced on my foot.

Man up wet pants!!! Cheesy

Real bikes have kick starts, Sh*t Bust!!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
hunter

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »

This is a real Bike. an original Bobber.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/spares_photos/Picturewhatamess014-1.jpg
Manky's XS650 Yamaha

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2010, 11:36:16 PM »

Grin
Tis jolly nice too mate.
Thanks Tony. I'll be buying a pair of long trumpets, (trombones?), then.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: