May 17, 2024, 11:34:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565026 times)
Mendalot

« Reply #6645 on: August 09, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »

Would be a shame to paint it, it looks like its been custom made for the truck ....... Unique Cool Cool

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #6646 on: August 10, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »

Paint it. The pop is getting painted

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Olds

« Reply #6647 on: August 10, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »

Think MM will have to either paint, plate or powder coat, as it rusts as soon as anyone touches it.
Hmmm, a bit like the pop does  Wink
(Note to self -  buy shares in Scotch-Brite )

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6648 on: August 10, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »

Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6649 on: August 10, 2013, 07:26:14 PM »

Yeah, must admit scrubbing the rust off a couple of times a week is starting to lose it's novelty value already. Spent an entire afternoon a couple of days ago wire wheeling it clean, only to pull the tarpaulin off today to find it creeping back -& I hadn't even used it in between.
Saturdays are a normal working day for me, (I'm a Postie), so I didn't get to the 'shop till about 3 this afternoon. Mr Kapri was there in his model A pick-up. Nice to see you as always mate. I didn't want to be anti-social but also wanted to get the new wheel fitted for a local classic car show tomorrow. So I made a start on drilling the hub sections. Didn't have the right sized drill bit & only a cheap & nasty 4mm tap though. So I'll have a look for a better one at the autojumble tomorrow. Ended up just Scotchbriting the surface rust off the bodywork instead. Loony says it's O.K to use a clear wax or lacquer on it, as long as we know it's there & can remove it before final paint. The problems start when he tries to paint apparently clean surfaces that have been waxed for example. Need to do something with it soon before the weather breaks.
Seems like I may need a new starter solenoid. Chris tried to start the Pop, but the solenoid kept clicking, only actually turning the engine over every 3rd or 4th go. It's done it to me on the first turn of the key once or twice, but only on long runs when the engine's hot & always started second time. I tried it again later this afternoon & it fired first go. Just my luck it'll let me down right in the middle of the showground tomorrow.
Next weekend is a local motorcycle autojumble, so I don't need the Pop for that. So I can pull the starter motor off & take it to the guy who replaced the brushes for checking.
The engine's drinking oil but doesn't appear to be leaking or smoking. The tail pipes are sooty but the spark plugs are spot on. So I topped it up again today & checked the radiator. Coolant level's fine. Borrowed Mr Newbie's grease gun a couple of days ago & re-greased the kingpins on the front hubs.
The steering wheel will eventually be powder-coated gloss black, with the interior upholstered in black & the dashboard & "roll cage" tubes in pale green, same as the body -but that's a long way off yet. I'd like to get a good coat of satin clear lacquer on it all before the Holland trip in November.  

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6650 on: August 11, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »

Took the Pop to the Newbury classic vehicle show at Newbury racecourse today, about 15 miles away.
There was light rain in the air when I arrived at the workshop this morning so I sat in my daily driver for about half an hour, waiting for it to stop before I pulled the tarp' off. Almost didn't bother, but I'm glad I went -it turned out to be a great show & for a cancer charity, so worth doing my bit to support it.
The engine fired first time, but the solenoid clicked once, then fired second time after I'd filled up at the petrol station. Mr Kapri was at the show so I spoke to him about it. I've had motorcycles in the past with starter motor solenoids that would just click like that if the battery was flat. My alternator's mounted low & right at the front of the engine bay, so there might be water in the terminals, or the terminals of the starter motor.
I bought a small grease gun from one of the autojumble stalls for 3 quid -worth that just for the fresh grease in it, plus an offcut of steel for Mr Newbie to make the steering wheel centre cap from if needed, for a quid, as well as a new 4mm tap.
The motor felt a little rough at low speed on the way home, though it ran fine when I put my foot down a bit. Almost like fuel starvation of just dirty fuel. Could be that or maybe not charging enough?
Bumped into Phil Silk at the show. He's the local upholsterer who covered the seat bases for me. He thinks it might be easier to fit sprung wires across the roof interior & make a normal headlining, using the "tuck n roll" material I've got, rather than making a removable interior panel & covering that. When Mr Loon gets time to weld the roof, I'll take it over to him to do I think.
Seemed to go down well at the show. For once it was actually parked on the showfield, rather than just in the public carpark, so now it's officially a blingy showcar!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:11:54 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6651 on: August 11, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6652 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »

Finally fitted the new steering wheel this afternoon -thanks Mr Newbie for your help & patience with my engineering ineptitude.
So I now have a reproduction 1930s/40s Fordson tractor wheel, bolted to a Morris Minor steering column, using a modified Mini steering wheel hub.
I like it. I was concerned it'd look a bit gimmicky & fitted just to be different, rather than because it suited the car. But I checked with Mr Loony, my regular second opinion advisor, & he pronounced it "Cool". So it's staying. I'll keep it in bare metal for now, but it'll eventually be gloss black. All it needs now is a push-on centre cap to cover the nut & hold the etched Monkeyhead badge that Newbie made for me previously.
Wheel fitted, truck checked over & warmed up, all ready for a drive out to the local bike meet at Alton in Hampshire this evening -so of course, it rained. Just as I was putting the tools away the heavens opened. So now my new steel steering wheel's soaking wet, as is the rest of my bare metal truck. I've drowned it all in WD40 & covered it up again, but it'll be bright orange with rust next time I take the cover off. Getting fed up with wire wheeling it clean now!
Chris, ("Forgotten" here on the forum), tries the new wheel for size. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6653 on: August 14, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »

kapri

« Reply #6654 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »

Break out the satin lacquer and 4" radiator roller ,it'll only take an hour to paint Smiley
Baychimp

« Reply #6655 on: August 14, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »

Steering wheel looking cool Andy, I think its much better than the old one.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6656 on: August 18, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »

I broke my truck  Sad

Nipped down the road to a local motorcycle show & autojumble today. The annual "Megameet" at Popham airfield on the A303, just 6 miles from home.
I hadn't intended to take the Pop, but I was going to another meet in Kent last night & it got rained off, so I just wanted to make the most of the sunshine today.
A small hiccup at the entrance as it ran out of sparks & coasted to a halt in the carpark. Bugger. Turned out to be a loose wire on the coil. Easily fixed by buying a pair of crimping pliers for a quid from one of the autojumble stalls & a packet of crimp-on terminals.
Problem solved, Postie Dave hopped in the cab & Archie climbed in the pick-up bed to drive back down the hill to the showfield. I may have accidentally ragged it once round in a circle on the loose gravel before trundling down the hill.
We parked up but when I opened the door to get out it scraped on the ground. Must've parked in a rut. Thought no more about it & we went off to wander round the show.
When we came back later in the afternoon something definitely wasn't right. Oh poo. Didn't take much mechanical know-how to spot the problem.
I've snapped one of the rear coil-over shocks. Not bent it, or broken a spring collar, but actually snapped the plunger rod clean in half. The top eye's still securely bolted to the chassis mount & the main body's still attached to the axle, though it's bent the bottom mounting bolt. It's the bit in the middle that's buggered. Snapped at the base of the top eye & also at the top of the body. The coil spring's bent double as the weight of the truck's sat on it.   

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6657 on: August 18, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »

It should look like this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6658 on: August 18, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »

They're adjustable "Gaz" gas filled shocks. 258 quid a pair, (I've just found the receipt). Bought in 2008, but obviously only done this Summer's mileage, about 1 1/2 thousand miles.
The axle shouldn't have been able to tramp sideways or rotate cos it's located by a triangulated 4 bar set-up & the propshaft, but it presumably must've tried to pull backwards on that side, (I slid round in an anti clockwise circle, just the once, honest).
I blame Archie.  Tongue

Olds

« Reply #6659 on: August 18, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »

OOOPS.  Shocked
Didn't think Archie was that heavy.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: