May 17, 2024, 09:49:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565001 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6015 on: April 19, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »

Just received my ammended V5C registration form in the post.
I had to send the original back cos they'd wrongly listed the Pop as a saloon. Now it says pick-up. I've also changed the colour from black to green & my home address. Took exactly a month, (19th of March to 19th of April), for them to process it & get it back to me.
Just realised though that I haven't got an MOT certificate. It got handed in at the DVLA office when I completed the registration paperwork. Do I need a copy? If so, how do I get one? From DVLA or the MOT garage? I'll have to trawl back through this thread now to find the date of the test, so I know when to renew it next year.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6016 on: April 19, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »

You can check that online, same as you can the tax.  You don't really need the bit of paper (neither did the office!) because it's all online now.

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECSID-Internet-Status-Request.jsp
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:55:21 PM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
poprodder

« Reply #6017 on: April 19, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

great news andy with the v5 turning up,

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6018 on: April 19, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »

Yeah, I feel happier now, knowing I've got the paperwork all in order. I've been carrying the tax disc about in the glove box of my daily driver for weeks. Better go & stick it in the Pop windscreen now.  Smiley

kapri

« Reply #6019 on: April 19, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »

DVLA LO should have issued you with a replacement MOT showing the new number , check your paperwork stash, especially the packet with your number plate authority came in.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6020 on: April 19, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »

Found it! It'd somehow migrated to the bottom of my "Pop Stuff" box. MOT expires on the 2nd of February '14.
Now I'm chasing up the insurance paperwork -I rang the company, (Adrian Flux), to change my home address, vehicle colour etc & they emailed me an updated policy document. Now I've checked it though, it needs several more changes. "Is the vehicle Q plated? -no. Yes it is, it lists the registration number on the same line of the document. First date of registration -1953. No it wasn't. The original donor body came from a '53 Ford, but it's a newly built & registered vehicle. Etc, etc.

Not much achieved today. Stuck the tax disc in the 'screen, discovered the squeek from the front brakes was caused by the caliper/mudguard mount bolts being loose, (I'll replace the spring washers with fresh bolts & nyloc nuts), then had a look at the carb.
Mr Phunkie suggested the flat spot in the acceleration might be cured by moving or replacing the accelerator pump cam. That's a small plastic cam attached to the butterfly spindle. The pump operating arm runs against it, to depress the diaphragm in the pump as the throttle's opened. They come in a range of cam profiles which are colour coded. Mine's white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRIfcrc2yA&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/20-12/10002/-1

No, I'm not going to play with it till I have someone to supervise me! 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:01:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #6021 on: April 19, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »

Is it even squirting fuel when you open the throttle Andy ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6022 on: April 19, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »

That was going to be my next check Kev. I half expected to find there wasn't a plastic cam fitted cos I couldn't remember seeing one, but it's there. Chris thinks it can be fitted in 2 positions. It's in the lower one at the moment. Raising it would probably squirt the extra shot of fuel in sooner. I'll pull the air filter off after work tomorrow & see what's happening.

kapri

« Reply #6023 on: April 20, 2013, 08:09:25 AM »

The other possibility is that the vacuum secondary is dropping in too soon and that will give a big flat spot . I intend to disable it temporarily to see if that's what's going on AFTER I've had a drive to feel what it's like.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6024 on: April 20, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »

You'll have to wait till next week for that test drive Kev.
Chris came over today, while I was still at work, & moved the accelerator pump cam to the second position. When I got there we took it for a quick blat up the lane & through the local village. It definitely accelerated slightly better, but is now spitting, backfiring & generally driving like a bag of poo. Odd cos it wasn't doing that when I took it to the diner a couple of days ago. Feels like a fuel problem, or maybe an air leak, (at the carb, rather than the exhaust). There's fuel in the filter, just before the carb & it looked reasonably clean. There's a second filter between the tank & fuel pump.
He took the fuel metering block off. The various jets & passages appear clear & the power valve's working, but there was a layer of yellowy, chalky gunge on the inside faces -possibly gum residue from old fuel? We used 2 different brands of tank sealant in the fuel tank, so it's possible it's dissolved & found it's way into the carb, but hopefully not. Loony dunked the metering block in his sonic cleaning tank with a splash of thinners, which seemed to work.
Anyway, Chris ended up taking the carb off & has taken it back to his workshop to strip & properly clean.
While he's doing that I'll pull the exhaust headers off & reseal them against the heads with some Gun Gum to stop any air leaks there, as well as putting a smear of blue sealant under the carb spacer block that sits on the inlet manifold.
Lots of bodywork jobs to do over the next week, as well as drilling out & rebolting the caliper/mudguard mounts using larger, shouldered bolts. So plenty to be getting on with.
You know you're more than welcome any time though Kev.  Wink
Nice to see Old Newbie too by the way, though I didn't get to chat to you much mate. Hang in there with the trike paperwork -it'll all fall in to place soon!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:02:11 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #6025 on: April 20, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »

Not a problem with the test drive Andy, you've got the right man on the job with the carb , I'll know it will be working 100% or condemned to the bin by Chris Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6026 on: April 20, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »

I'd still appreciate you taking it for a drive next time you're up this way Kev.
I'd like your opinion on the way it handles & performs please.

panthershaun

« Reply #6027 on: April 21, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »

throw that old V away and fit an oil burner mate  Tongue Tongue

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
spanners

« Reply #6028 on: April 21, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »

throw that old V away and fit an oil burner mate  Tongue Tongue
3.8 BMC  Wink Wink outta a jcb or nuffield tractor   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6029 on: April 21, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »

Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: