May 17, 2024, 08:25:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564967 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5880 on: March 30, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »

Thanks Rick!
Had a few errands to do today & got a family lunch to go to tomorrow, so no progress this weekend. I did call in at the workshop this afternoon though & fitted the second windscreen wiper.
Time to assess what needs doing to sort the running problems out & collect the parts needed. Having spent ages searching the cab for the door latch bolt that fell out on the way home, Loony Senior spotted it lying inside the door. So at least that'll be an easy fix.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5881 on: March 30, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5882 on: March 30, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »

kapri

« Reply #5883 on: March 30, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »

What sort of revs is the flatspot? always a possibility that the vacuum secondaries need 'respringing' to suit the engine.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5884 on: March 30, 2013, 11:07:31 PM »

Yeah, was going to ask my brother Brock about that when I see him tomorrow. You mentioned respringing once before -what exactly does that entail Kev? No rev counter fitted, but just seems to be lacking something at mid revs. Also when we try to pull away fast -it'll go, then flatten off. Larger main jets have been suggested. Also wondering if the tall rear tyres & Sherpa axle are messing things up as it seems to be revving quite high for the speed we're doing -again, kinda hard to judge though when we haven't got a speedo yet.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:33:04 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5885 on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:20 PM »

A couple of snaps lifted from the RetroRides forum.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5886 on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »

steven brock

« Reply #5887 on: March 31, 2013, 12:04:25 AM »

Yeah, was going to ask my brother Brock about that when I see him tomorrow. You mentioned respringing once before -what exactly does that entail Kev? No rev counter fitted, but just seems to be lacking something at mid revs. Also when we try to pull away fast -it'll go, then flatten off. Larger main jets have been suggested. Also wondering if the tall rear tyres & Sherpa axle are messing things up as it seems to be revving quite high for the speed we're doing -again, kinda hard to judge though when we haven't got a speedo yet.

Would it not be best to get it tuned on a rolling road?

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
spanners

« Reply #5888 on: March 31, 2013, 04:37:21 AM »

tall tyres etc,, should make it high geared (lower revving in relation to road speed) not high revving  is the auto getting all gears,, I.E, is she going into top ,?

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5889 on: March 31, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »

Might use a rolling road for the fine tuning, (took my last trike to one near Winchester, owned by Tom Airey, an old grass track racer. Made a huge improvement), but just trying to get the basics right at the moment.
Yes Mike, we're getting all 3 gears, but very clunky between 1st & 2nd when it's hot. You're right of course, larger diameter tyres should make it less revvy, but I'm not sure of the gearing in the rear axle, (it's a 2 litre Sherpa one).
I don't particularly want to race it -if it did 70mph flat out but did it comfortably & reliably I'd be happy, but it just sounds like it's working a bit too hard at the moment. Mind you, we are sat in a rattly, windy biscuit tin with no sound proofing etc & very basic front suspension, so it's bound to be a bit loud n bumpy.
I'm going to dismantle the grille shell & move the oil cooler from above the radiator to below it. The auto oil only circulates, it's not designed to pump it 3 feet uphill to the cooler. So lowering it & getting it away from the heat of the radiator might help.

kapri

« Reply #5890 on: March 31, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »

Reviness is also down to what you are comparing it with. If you drive a modern car with an overdrive box then any stock 3 speed auto is going to sound busy by comparision. My Rover 75 does 30mph /1000rpm  in 5th , a standard Rover SD1 does around 21 /22 mph per 1000 rpm in top ( 4th 1:1 ratio) .
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:50:11 PM by kapri » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5891 on: March 31, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »

Good point Kev. I had a couple of Morris Minors, maybe 20 years ago & my first car was a Vauxhall Viva, but other than that I've been riding motorcycles & trikes most of my life with cars limited to fairly modern daily drivers.
As I said to you, I don't plan on racing the Pop, (Loony does!), I just want a good, useable driver that'll behave itself in traffic. It'd be nice if it'd pull away smoothly & cruise sedately when I want to. At the moment it's all a bit ...primitive. Kinda put your foot down & wait to see what it does, with lots of flat spots or revving. I'm not a mechanic. I can build a vehicle around an engine but fault diagnosis & engine tuning aren't my strong points.
Kev's found a couple more snaps of it at WheelsDay.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:01:49 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5892 on: March 31, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5893 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

That's an excellent pic of the Pop coming out of the junction - clear background and a bit of attitude!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
steven brock

« Reply #5894 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

Good point Kev. I had a couple of Morris Minors, maybe 20 years ago & my first car was a Vauxhall Viva, but other than that I've been riding motorcycles & trikes most of my life with cars limited to fairly modern daily drivers.
As I said to you, I don't plan on racing the Pop, (Loony does!), I just want a good, useable driver that'll behave itself in traffic. It'd be nice if it'd pull away smoothly & cruise sedately when I want to. At the moment it's all a bit ...primitive. Kinda put your foot down & wait to see what it does, with lots of flat spots or revving. I'm not a mechanic. I can build a vehicle around an engine but fault diagnosis & engine tuning aren't my strong points.
Kev's found a couple more snaps of it at WheelsDay.

This a power slide?

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: