May 20, 2024, 04:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1566838 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3420 on: July 28, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

Muppets! You lot, not a name for the truck.
There was a pick-up at the drag races last year called Truck Ugly.
Struggling a bit to keep the enthusiasm up at the moment -just seem to be spending every available minute & penny on the damn thing & making no discernable progress & rapidly running out of time -so if you want to do something more constructive, come & give me a hand!
Spent all afternoon on it today & only managed to fit half a dozen rubber boots over the suspension rose joints. So much left to do.  Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
madron

« Reply #3421 on: July 29, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »

if i lived a lot nearer i would be there in a shot and it would be finished andy as i want to see this on the road
panthershaun

« Reply #3422 on: July 29, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »

I've got a length of sight glass tube we could fit at one end, but not sure what sort of fittings we'd need for it to be fuel tight.

checkout  this article from Lowbrow's mate...

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=page_view&p=tech_install_fuel_sight_gauge_on_gas_tank

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3423 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »

Looks easy don't it!
Didn't get to the workshop till about 4 this afternoon, (busy day at work), so spent my couple of hours for today cutting & rolling the sheet steel to form the back edge of the pick-up bed sides. Also folded a lip on the bottom edge to match the rest of the side panels.
We'd planned to roll the rear valance, (under the tailgate), in the same way, but now we're wondering whether it should just be a flat panel. Once Loony's tacked the side pieces in place we'll make a decision.
Ron, come down mate. We'll sling a hammock up in the workshop for you to stay in till it's finished.  Wink

Cabman77

« Reply #3424 on: July 30, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »

if you make the rear valance flat it will look like you ran out of ideas it really needs to be curved under to match the sides. It can/will be fiddly/f***in` awkward but will be well worth the effort. Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
poprodder

« Reply #3425 on: July 30, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »

if you make the rear valance flat it will look like you ran out of ideas it really needs to be curved under to match the sides. It can/will be fiddly/f***in` awkward but will be well worth the effort. Grin Grin Grin Grin

i agree.

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #3426 on: July 30, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »

flat with flanged speed holes

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
poprodder

« Reply #3427 on: July 30, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »

flange.....lovely word!!!!

madron

« Reply #3428 on: July 30, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »

i agree with cabman needs to be rolled under
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #3429 on: July 30, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but I used to have a mk3 Cortina many moons ago ( I don't expect you to correct me on that bit! I really did have one. It was a Crayford one as well)  and the saloon has a similar shape where the rear wing lower met the rear panel you could get the repair panels for those lower corner edges. may make life easier if you can still get them. I may be completely wrong however. If this is the case please disregard this post Grin Grin
spanners

« Reply #3430 on: July 30, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »

cortina rear ,valance, corners were a simaler shape

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3431 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:09 PM »

There's a mark 2 Crayford Cortina on my postal delivery in Basingstoke.

Well, I've been at work since 5.30 this morning, then Loony's workshop all afternoon, then shovelling horse poo at Taz's stable-yard all evening, so only just read your opinions on the rear panel. By a process of trial & error though, Mr L & I came to exactly the same conclusion. First I made up a cardboard mock-up of a flat panel, adding the fog & reversing lights & using an old number plate that was knocking about in the 'shop.
That little Austin A35 looks massive compared to the Pop!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:23:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #3432 on: July 30, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »

it might be an idea to french in (recess) the number platethen it will be easier to fit a number plate light instead of having a flat mount sticky out light ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3433 on: July 30, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »

Way ahead of you Mike!  Grin
I actually thought about a row of hotrod holes to break the blankness of the panel up a bit, but you guys were right -it just looked like we'd run out of creativity by the time we'd reached the back.
So I made a cardboard template of the curve of the side panels, then cut the end of the panels to the same curve.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3434 on: July 30, 2011, 11:32:04 PM »

Another template, then I cut & rolled a steel rear panel. I used my welding gas bottle to form the curves around. Loony & I then clamped the bottom edge between 2 lengths of flat bar & put a fold in it to match the flange along the sides.
Once the top of this panel's tack welded in place, we'll be able to pull the bottom & sides in until they meet. Then the excess bottom bit will be trimmed off.
I didn't want a razor sharp edge on each corner, but by the time the panels are welded together then soft padded back, they'll have a slight radius anyway.
As Mike suggested, we'll recess the number plate into the curved panel, using inset lights or maybe LED light bolts, (number plate mounting bolts with white LEDs built into them).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:38:41 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: