May 17, 2024, 11:10:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565018 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3150 on: May 22, 2011, 08:45:36 AM »

Grin They're not actually mine, just an accumulation from everyone who visits the workshop.
Those who've met me know I drink nothing but Diet Coke. Gallons of the stuff. I guess it's a caffeine addiction.
A couple of years ago I started digging the footings for a new shed at the end of the garden. 16 feet by 12. I went down about 10 inches & I'm going to fill it with rubble with a concrete screed on the top. Someone said I should chuck any old scrap metal I had in there to help bulk it out, so every time I wandered past with a Coke can in my hand, I'd throw it in the hole.
...When the mountain of cans got to 4 feet tall I thought maybe I should do something about it. By chance, one of the neighbours had arranged for a scrap metal collection yesterday, so I've spent the last couple of weeks filling black bin bags with cans. I stomped them all flat so they took up less space. I filled 20 bags. Probably worth a bit if we weighed them in for scrap, but it was just easier to let the local guy take them away.
So now I've got to start filling the hole with rubble again.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3151 on: May 22, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »

Back at the shop again this afternoon. It might be Sunday, but I've decided no more car or bike shows for me till this thing's finished. Well, maybe just a couple.
Loony was having a lie-in, so I spent a pleasant couple of hours bimbling around the workshop on my own  -not that I don't enjoy his company, but there's something very theraputic about just losing yourself in the job. I often achieve more that way than by trying to be organised & efficient.
By the time Mr L arrived, I'd sliced & spliced the other half of the bonnet & removed the paint along the cut edges, ready for him to tack together.
I've got some 6mm stainless steel rod which we've decided to run around the edge of the bonnet vent opening to form a slightly raised bead. I'm really pleased with the way the vent's incorporated into the raised swage along the back edge.
We thought the bonnet would be a pig of a job to get right, but, (hopefully), it's gone O.K
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:08:31 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3152 on: May 22, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »

While Loony worked on the bonnet top, I started on the side panels.
Again, they need extending, but this time downwards as well as backwards. So I experimented with paper & scissors then cut an L shaped section out of the spare panel to my template. Seems to work.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3153 on: May 22, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »

Clive

« Reply #3154 on: May 22, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »

That's starting to look even more coooool than before Andy!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
brock

« Reply #3155 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »

and that was a deceptively simple explanation of a shed load of work, well done ( if that's not too condescending ) , good choices well executed . Looking good .

That little nagging doubt you've got , leave it until after the test then re-make the front two pipes with a roll to match the curve of the old wing line
panthershaun

« Reply #3156 on: May 23, 2011, 08:30:03 AM »

looking good mate, your lucky having Mr L waving his welder about... I'm VERY slowly getting the welding done but its hard when you are crap..... Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
poprodder

« Reply #3157 on: May 23, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »

nice progress andy,
good to see you on here shaun! :-)

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #3158 on: May 23, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Cool Grin Grin Grin

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #3159 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »

looks like an old citreon to me Huh
blair

it looks bigger in water ! !

« Reply #3160 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »

looks like an old citreon to me Huh

eiy nae that im slaggin it off you understand i quite like vintage frenchies
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3161 on: May 24, 2011, 12:21:31 AM »

What, like Charles Aznavour?
Brock -funny you should say that -Loony opined the 'zact same thing today.
Shaunus -good to see you back mate. My own welder's on loan to PD, so Loony's on weddling duty.

Moving on-
With the bonnet side tacked together, we set about hinging it. I picked up a pair of nickel plated "piano hinges" in B & Q, (British chain of hardware stores for you Johnny Foreigners). They're a bit lightweight, but the only ones I could find. With luck, once they're fully welded they'll be fine. Loony tacked one edge to the underside of the bonnet top panel & after some measuring up & a bit of trimming, we fixed the other side to the side panel.
Taddah! We has a working, folding bonnet. Well, one side of it anyway.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3162 on: May 24, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »

Bonnet shut.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3163 on: May 24, 2011, 12:24:27 AM »

Bonnet open.
Just like a real car.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3164 on: May 24, 2011, 12:29:07 AM »

Obviously it'll need a hinged strut to hold it open & all the parts are only tacked together for now to make sure they work, so it's all a bit wibbly wobbly, but it opens & shuts &, we think, looks pretty cool. All this because it fouled on the headlights when we tried to open it -would've been easier to move the lights I guess, but I think the double hinge gives it a more vintage look somehow.

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: