May 16, 2024, 08:00:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: One for taz  (Read 15831 times)
tazet
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2008, 06:49:04 AM »

Blimey you have been busy. Thanks for all that info and will certainly have a look at all the links. Do you want a semi-working holiday to England. We'll give you food and a bed.  Grin
I will get photos of everything today and lots of the engine and the bits. I don't know how pulled apart the thing is. Will post photos and start a new thread. Dave had a 383 in his charger before putting in a 440 and he too said it was a very good engine and could easild do 150mph. Right must make coffee and go through all those links you posted. Thank you  Grin
tazet
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2008, 07:36:37 AM »

Those links are great thanks again. I fould the allpar one the other day and got some good info from that. Dave if you see this that is the site I was telling you about but couldn't remember the name.
I found on one of the links somewhere the casing numbers for engins and it says "The block casting numbers for all RB, B, and LA engines are found on the left (driver) side of the block.  In addition, on 1968 and later engines the numbers stamped on the lower rail of the engines right (passenger) side match the last 8 digits of the cars vehicle identification number". So I've written down the number they give for the 383 and we will see what happens.

We are aiming to leave home at about 10 then have a leasurley drive to Essex, find a pub for lunch then go and see the Charger.
tazet
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2008, 07:47:35 AM »

According to MyMopar.com, (fantastic site), the VIN number should start with XP29 then if it was originaly fitted with the smaller of the 383's the next letter will be "G" and if it was fitted with the bigger, (which they say it has) it should be a "H" so it hopefully will read XP29H****
mouse

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

taz your one jammy bugger  Grin lovely car
me  jealous  Grin to right i am lol

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2008, 08:00:33 AM »

Oooh, it's exciting innit!
This is definitely Taz's project, not mine -I've already got my trike & Pop to build, plus Taz's trike. She's got to sell her beloved BMW to finance it so I really hope it's all she hopes for. Lots of scope for her to play with various combinations of parts & a great way to learn mechanicking. Should certainly be an interesting project! 
A friend told me the only way to break one of these engines is to run it without oil or open the bonnet & hit it with a sledgehammer.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 08:04:12 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
brock

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2008, 01:55:20 PM »

it would want to be a big sledge hammer. If it has got an 850 carb fitted I expect that you will probably want to take it off of the car and give it to someone to love and cherrish, clean and maintain, and check that it works at full throttle opening  Wink
texon

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »

I bet Ron could hurt the engineI have never come across an engine thats Ron proof  Grin
tazet
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »

Is that a hint Brock. God knows what it's got Grin
Well the short story is we left a deposit and will collect it as soon as we can. There's much more work than was said on Ebay so managed to drop the price a little. The lad was very nice and as helpful as he could be. All documents matched. Anyway I'm going to start a new thread in the hotrod tech section so all photos etc will be in there. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:42:19 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
shabby

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »

found this if you have not got charger home its on fleabay  270238281433    Grin Grin Grin Grin

TIDY
tazet
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »

Thanks for that. We've already contacted Scottie but he is at Santa Pod this weekend and not got home yet.
tazet
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »

Try this ebay Item and it says reserve NOT met and it's just over £30'000 at the moment.  Shocked

EBAY CHARGER

Eddited for VB  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 09:02:10 PM by tazet » Logged
XL-erate

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 08:02:12 AM »

Hey, Taz, hope the links helped. I piled them all in because I knew I'd be gone for a few days and wanted you to have info before you left to see it. I e-mailed Manky how you guys can contact me if you have any questions. Sure glad you got it, GREAT CAR!!! Grin
tazet
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »

Yes I trawled through every link and saved them all to my faves. Thank you they have been a huge help especially what all the numbers and letters mean in the vin code.
XL-erate

« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »

Glad it helped! Casting numbers also extremely important. At a glance you can tell if the car was heavily modified, how/why, or if it's a 'Numbers matching' 100% original. Usually gives a good indication of one that's been beat, or one that's been baby'd.

That should be a forged crank 383 'B', low deck, one of the toughest engines ever built by Chrysler Corp. and with some very good flowing heads. Bone stock as built it will paste you back in the seat and take your breath away and the roads are all too short   :~ ) With the right gears 150-160 top end, or with lower gears smoking patches of rubber all the way up the block...

"What was that?!!!?"

"I think it was Taz, didn't get a good look...."
tazet
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »

Grin Once I've got it home I'll go through all the bits and let you know the numbers. The engine does have HP stamped on it allong with 383.
I saw your email and thank you I'm sure we'll be in touch with you.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: