May 18, 2024, 07:44:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1565707 times)
Baychimp

« Reply #6495 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:43 PM »

I do think you ought to make it a bit more rumbler. remove some of the silencers.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6496 on: July 01, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »

Small world ain't it.
Slightly bigger bore full stainless exhaust system for next year.  At the moment, the silencers are all mild steel & the section of pipe under the pick-up bed is 1 1/2" while the rest is 2". So I want to make it 2" all the way through, with 4 stainless Cherry Bomb silencers. At the moment it's only 85.5 decibels, (we were allowed 101 for the SVA test).

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Baychimp

« Reply #6497 on: July 01, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »

Small world ain't it.
Slightly bigger bore full stainless exhaust system for next year.  At the moment, the silencers are all mild steel & the section of pipe under the pick-up bed is 1 1/2" while the rest is 2". So I want to make it 2" all the way through, with 4 stainless Cherry Bomb silencers. At the moment it's only 85.5 decibels, (we were allowed 101 for the SVA test).
But! it's passed its sva test so you can make it LOUD. Grin Grin Grin
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6498 on: July 02, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

It looks just fabulous!  And the 'Manky' on the tailboard got a lot of attention - as did the Monkey on the front!  Woohoo!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6499 on: July 02, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »

Suprisingly it was the only ratrod style vehicle at the Cruise, although I did see a matt black Rolls Royce with red wheels.

dobber

« Reply #6500 on: July 02, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »

to see it getting all the attention is making me want to move on with my project.
 well done that man.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6501 on: July 08, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »

Took the truck to a steam fair at Calne in Wiltshire on Sunday. I wasn't sure if I could enter on the day or not, so left early & arrived at 9.0.clock. Turned out to be pre entry only so I parked in the public carpark, but it was a great drive out across the Wiltshire countryside, trundling along all on my own. Maybe 40 miles from home.
On the way back I called in at my brother Brock's workshop in Marlborough -he's just set up in business building drag cars, race transporters & just about anything else that can be fabricated from metal. Give him a shout if you want some top quality work.
I think he likes the Pop, but the tacked together bodywork offends his engineering sensibilities!
Left him & bimbled home to Hampshire with no problems, other than over-filling the fuel tank in a village petrol station & having to wait while it trickled fuel out of the overflow pipe. Had to sprinkle sand on the forcourt & apologise profusely. About an 80 mile round trip.
That evening I'd planned to drive to Valley Gas Speed Shop in Andover, Hampshire. They were organising a run to the Andover carnival. I'd forgotten just how much I hate Andover though & managed to get horribly lost, driving round the same roads 3 or 4 times -there's loads of industrial estates & they all look the same. Eventually I ran out of time to join them for the run, so decided to turn around & head for home. Just as I did so, the left side of the motor suddenly increased in volume. Noticably louder than the right side & a very raspy note. Bugger. It wasn't a mechanical, clonky kinda noise & I assumed I must've sheared an exhaust header pipe or something. So I nursed it the 20 miles or so home again. I think it was slightly down on power, but I was taking it easy in case something else happened.
When I got back to the workshop yard I lifted the bonnet to have a look. Odd. No obvious signs of damage. No sooty marks around any of the pipes or spark plugs. No oil leaks. No smoke from the exhaust on the way back that I could see. The exhaust joints are all bolt-together flanges rather than clamps & none of them looked to be damaged. The top mounting bolt of the radiator had come loose but no water leaks & the fan was working fine. Couldn't see anything to explain it.
So I let it cool down & covered it up for the night. Today was too damn hot to do anything at the workshop after I finished my Postal delivery, so I'll fire it up & have a listen tomorrow.
I've done 5 or 600 miles in it so far with no problems at all & it got me safely home again, so not actually let me down yet, but I'm not sure about this one. Any suggestions?
A few snaps taken around the farm near Brock's workshop.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6502 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6503 on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »

scannerzer

« Reply #6504 on: July 09, 2013, 06:25:17 AM »

blown manifold gasket maybe Huh
Olds

« Reply #6505 on: July 09, 2013, 07:14:23 AM »

Possibly a fractured weld on the manifold.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6506 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »

Yeah, both are what I was expecting, but couldn't see any sign of it. Just got home from work, so I'll go take a look now & get back to you.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6507 on: July 09, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

Nice to see you at the workshop earlier Mr Newbie.  Wink
Turned out to be the triangular gasket between the exhaust header flange & the silencer. Thick graphite type material, from Kris at Pop Browns. It'd gone brittle, broken up & blown a chunk out. The noise was funnelled up around the bulkhead so with the bonnet shut it sounded like it was coming from the engine. I've got repair paste, but might as well do the job properly & fit a new gasket.
So hopefully an easy fix. I'll phone him in the morning.   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:16:30 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #6508 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »

disconnect other side, put some turn outs an run open headers!!!!!  Grin

WAYNE999

« Reply #6509 on: July 09, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »

I like the way you think...............shame the local Constabulary doesn't think the same way

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: