May 14, 2024, 12:24:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: EU - in or out. Looking for useful facts and figures  (Read 49165 times)
Olds

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 06:49:16 AM »

The Hansard link is worth reading (or at least a quick look at) and as JJ says gives some info that has not been openly reported elsewhere, such as the massive trading deficit we have with member countries in the EU campared to the trading surplus we have with the rest of the world. ( Germany however makes a huge trade surplus within the EU in 2014). Or that the EU will become more centralised in the near future.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
JayJay

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2016, 01:30:58 AM »

In my reading of all things EU I came across the term TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership). I had never heard of it but what I read got me worried so I looked it up. This appears to be the reason the referendum was moved forward a year and not 2017 as was originally forecast.

Anyway it is interesting reading whatever your view on the EU. This is just one link I found useful but there is plenty on TTIP if you know to look for it. A lot of people, like me until now, have never heard of it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
spanners

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2016, 01:33:29 AM »

i,v studied this subject so much that i am now totaly confused ,,, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
JayJay

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2016, 01:52:14 AM »

Me again. I forgot to say that a lot of people are saying take a pen and mark whichever box you are selecting with said pen. It is allowed. I did check. Perhaps I've always been too trusting with that pencil.  Huh

The following are both allowed with the latter one quite surprising. I didn't know that!

Do I have to mark my cross with a pencil on a string?
No, if you prefer you can use a pen, even if it's your own. While a cross is usually called for, you could theoretically mark the box with a tick instead. The important thing is that your voting intention is clear.

I've made a mistake and voted for the wrong person. Can I vote again?
Yes, providing you haven't already posted your ballot paper in the box. Return to the desk and tell staff what has happened. They'll be able to cancel your ballot paper and issue you with a new one.

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
the coppersmith

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »

Have you ever studied what happens when you attend the polling station? When you go in a line is put through your name, a ballot slip is removed and the person next authenticates the slip, as there is a registered number on the back, that slip is issued to your name, you go off and vote, secretly, anonymously in that little booth and fold your secret vote and post it in the box. However, big brother is watching. They can trace that vote back through the paperwork to you. I asked about this at the polling station and the Labour candidate was the only one who confirmed that this could happen, but its unlikely that they would trace it back. So, why do it? Much huffing and puffing but no definite response. 
JayJay

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2016, 09:19:27 AM »

I'm not the only awkward one then.  Smiley

Years ago this process really got me angry and I did the same as you. Same mealy-mouthed responses. In this coming election I won't be too bothered though. I think it will be obvious what I am voting for. Using my pen of course.  Cool

the coppersmith

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »

Take a quill and a pot of ink, sign your name in the box, go on, you know it makes sense  Wink
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »

Have you ever studied what happens when you attend the polling station? When you go in a line is put through your name, a ballot slip is removed and the person next authenticates the slip, as there is a registered number on the back, that slip is issued to your name, you go off and vote, secretly, anonymously in that little booth and fold your secret vote and post it in the box. However, big brother is watching. They can trace that vote back through the paperwork to you. I asked about this at the polling station and the Labour candidate was the only one who confirmed that this could happen, but its unlikely that they would trace it back. So, why do it? Much huffing and puffing but no definite response. 

I've been a polling clerk, and I asked about this - the reason for it is that in case of any suspected fraud it can be checked.  They say it wouldn't be used for anything else but I don't think any of of us trust the government that much any more (any government, of any party!). 

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
the coppersmith

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »

BG thanks for clearing that up. I'm just being a grumpy old man, I'm practising for a few months time when it becomes official  Cheesy Just been told by the job centre to stay away unless I want to join the post office ! Told the girl I have contacts in high places in the post office  Wink seems its agency work, zero hours contract and they cannot get enough people, wonder why ??
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »

When Mike was on the agency there was only one place he refused to go back to - guess where?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2016, 04:01:26 PM »

For some years now I have used a postal vote, as, it takes care of possible illness or holiday clashes, but more importantly, you can study the often multiple voting forms/options in the comfort of your own home, and deliberate at length, and accordingly....works for me!! Huh

Beware the Ides of March, But!
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »

I don't think any of of us trust the government that much any more (any government, of any party!). 

Just the type of thread I've been looking to reply to.........

So, just a random comment thrown out there for your opinions.
In the real true world after June 23rd and the leave campaigners have the result that they want, do you honestly think that the government will let us leave? You will never know the true result. Me sceptical, never!!

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
merv

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »

I don't think any of of us trust the government that much any more (any government, of any party!). 

In the real true world after June 23rd and the leave campaigners have the result that they want, do you honestly think that the government will let us leave? You will never know the true result. Me sceptical, never!!

That is a very good point

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
the coppersmith

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »

I see that Europe can and probably will Veto it. I'm still sat on the fence, waiting to be convinced, I have always been Pro Europe now I'm not so sure, BUT, I'm not sure what will happen if we opt out.
Olds

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »

You couldn't possibly be suggesting that our totally trustworthy government, comprising of honest, upright and noble citizens might actually lie to us.
Such a thing would be unheard of. The fact that WMD's were never found after the Iraq war doesn't mean they lied. Or that all the money claimed in bogus misunderstood expenses by MP's could be construed as dishonest.
This is Britain and things like that couldn't possibly happen.
 Or could they ?

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: