May 18, 2024, 02:24:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554189 times)
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1575 on: December 05, 2016, 08:58:41 PM »

Spent some time on the XS today. Carbs sorted. Runs fine, ticks over fine but a tad loud.
The engine itself is whisper quiet. Quietly whirring away and sounds great when revved. The new Premier Amal (Spell check wants to insert 'anal'!!) carbs are so much better than the previous offering.
The indicator, near side rear, seems to have succumbed to the vibes and heat as its rather close to the exhaust outlet so I shall cobble something together for the MOT. Just waiting on the MOT-able number plate then it's MOT time.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1576 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »

Want me to go Ebay shopping for some aluminium ones Andy?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Dslam

« Reply #1577 on: December 06, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »

Found some of the same on ebay for £7 so they will do for now. You can change/adapt at will after. I have a few ideas that I will pass by you when I deliver it back home.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1578 on: December 06, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »

Okey doke.
I might just go for something boring but reliable, like these. Used them on several trikes & bikes. I've powder-coated them black a few times & fitted amber lenses from Halfords dashboard warning lamps into the back of one pair so I could see they were flashing.
Of course, being a 1980 registration, it doesn't actually need indicators, ('86 onwards), but in the murderous mayhem of modern traffic, they just make self preservation sense. I do plan to re-register the bike through MSVA, but will ride it for a Summer first to iron out any teething problems, (& get some enjoyment out of the thing after several years of building), then get it tested over next Winter.
Already thinking of riding it down to Romsey in Hampshire on Boxing Day morning for the annual classic car & bike meet as I won't be taking the Pop out now till the Spring. Seriously considering developing an illness in June to take a few days off work for the Flanders Chopper Bash in Belgium too.
Getting back on a bike after 6 years away from them is a little daunting, but I really want to clock up some proper mileage on this ride.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1579 on: December 06, 2016, 04:50:19 PM »

I can't take any credit for the engine. I've delved into it to replace the clutch & gearchange linkage, as well as fitting new filters & an oil change, but that's all. It's all looked very clean when I've removed any covers -no burnt on black oil deposits or anything. I bought the original donor bike from a car dealer in Yorkshire, who took it in part exchange from an old man who couldn't ride any more & needed a car. So hopefully it's either very low mileage or well looked after.

mrhutch

« Reply #1580 on: December 07, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »

I'm actually gutted that you've finished this one Andy...  I look forward to the updates and moody photos mid-push through suburbia.

I wonder if Mr Dslam can be persuaded to drop a few washers in the crankcase??  Wink Wink

Well done and have loads of fun riding
the coppersmith

« Reply #1581 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:57 AM »

That is some Chris****s present to ones self Sir  Wink Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1582 on: December 07, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »

Smiley
My only worry at the moment is that it's taxed as a disabled vehicle, (free tax), which was presumably because of the old guy who used to own it. I'm hoping changing it's tax status will just be a matter of ticking a box on the online form, but with my luck it'll mean getting the bike inspected or something.
Really looking forward to getting back on 2 wheels -loved hotrods since I was a school kid, but my first experience of the road was on a bike & they've remained my true love ever since. I know I'll be extremely slow & wobbly to begin with, but can't wait for that first ride in the Spring sunshine.
Other people take their dogs out for late night walks around the neighbourhood -you think I should take the bike out for a stroll instead?

Dslam

« Reply #1583 on: December 07, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »

Put on a limp when you tax it. All will be good Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1584 on: December 07, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »

Tongue Can you still tax vehicles at Post Offices or is it all online now?

Tony oily bike

« Reply #1585 on: December 07, 2016, 07:22:57 PM »

Tongue Can you still tax vehicles at Post Offices or is it all online now?

Can do at Post Offices.............  Wink

As the XS will not have had a reminder through the post (V11), I think you need log book (V5C) and MoT. Worth taking insurance too.

DVLA webpage re changing details on logbook
https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate

And these pages for changing your vehicle taxation class
https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-class

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-class/tax-due-to-run-out-or-changing-if-vehicle-is-exempt

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1586 on: December 07, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »

With those sentiments, this deffo applies to you Mr. M!! Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1587 on: December 07, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »

Cheesy These days I do have other interests besides vehicles, but that was definitely me when I was younger.
I'm insured with Bike Sure & don't have a paper copy of the insurance policy. I guess they'd send one if I asked, but that link looks like you only need to show it if you live in Northern Ireland. Thanks Tony.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1588 on: December 08, 2016, 12:08:26 AM »

I think as long as you have a V5c you're ok with just that as they can look at the insurance AND MOT online - but it's the 'c' that's important!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1589 on: December 08, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »

I think as long as you have a V5c you're ok with just that as they can look at the insurance AND MOT online - but it's the 'c' that's important!

Agree you'd expect the post office to be able to look up the MoT online, but following the example of my friend only a couple of weeks ago, I'd still suggest taking the MoT.

This friend needed to tax his car which was on a SORN and for some reason this couldn't be done on line.
A phone call to Swansea (and a genuinely helpful person) did some delving and revealed the ref number on the V5C wasn't, for an undisclosed reason, being recognised by the system.
Friend was told in order to tax the vehicle he needed to go to the post office and take the V5C and MoT.
Road tax was successfully purchased.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: