May 18, 2024, 01:00:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554185 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1230 on: May 06, 2016, 08:31:02 AM »

Now I'm curious -what exactly does a strangler look like?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1231 on: May 06, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »

Now I'm curious -what exactly does a strangler look like?

Take your pick from these four............. Roll Eyes

On a more serious note, this may be of use
http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/Carburetion_Troubleshooting_Detail_Reference_Guide.pdf
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:02:53 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1232 on: May 06, 2016, 11:11:46 AM »

Grin Top Rank Suite, Reading, Berks '77 ish. I was there.
That's a pretty comprehensive chart Tony! Latest plan -take the bike to the B/stoke Transport Festival in a rented van on Sunday. Return it to my lock-up garage afterwards, then rent the van again on my day off on Wednesday to deliver it to Mr Dslam in Surrey for a bit of looking at.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:19:55 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1233 on: May 06, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »

Yep, but that.s a 2 stroke motor!! as you will agree, diff. kettle of.....

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Stix

« Reply #1234 on: May 09, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »

Andy
I'm dying over here,after all the care and attention to detail the Xs had to be starting soon, got everything crossed hoping to read it has burst into song.

Stix
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1235 on: May 09, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »

I will be blessed by the presence of the chief on Wednesday in the hope of getting to the bottom of the starting/running issues. Mr Oily Bike has kindly lent his mammoth drag bike roller starter thingy comprising of a couple of big GM starter motors coupled to my 800ah battery should get the oil pressure up if nothing else. Will keep you all posted as to the outcome.
Where did I put that Nitro?
All we need is compression, a Spark in roughly the right place and some fuel flow...............
See you Weds Andy. Grin
Clive

« Reply #1236 on: May 09, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »

To be honest, it took Chris and co. about three minutes to get it running on Sunday at the show!! Cheesy Cheesy................................. Not brilliantly, but definitely running...............

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1237 on: May 09, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »

I'd like to point out I had actually had it running last week, but only for a few seconds at a time.  Smiley
Definitely not right, but yes, there is life. Chris, (one of the regulars at Loony's workshop & "forgotten" here on the forum), was determined to have it going & as he's 30 years younger than me, I was quite happy to let him kickstart it for 10 minutes in the blazing heat at the transport show yesterday. His Dad's an ex side car racer so tweaked the Amal carbs a little. It's running far too weak, as we said, so he just wound the mixture up a bit. I think he also cupped his hands over the air filters too to reduce the amount of airflow. Lots of throttle & lots of kicking & it did indeed fire up & very nearly tick over. Vibrated a fair bit but it was being revved quite hard at the time. As I said the other day, it probably needs the needles lifted from the centre position to the top one & maybe bigger jets -which is where Mr Dslam's superior expertise will come in. I don't want a race tuned engine, but I'm hoping it'll be as well behaved as a standard XS650 -if it's too highly strung & temperamental it'll just be hard work to ride. Hopefully Andy can tame it on Wednesday.
Burlen Fuel Systems, who still make Amal carbs, as well as SUs, are based in Salisbury, not far from here, so if I finish work early enough tomorrow, I may nip over & buy a pair of the later model "Stay Up" floats, which are adjustable, unlike the plastic ones my carbs have. I'll see if I can buy the next size up jets too.  
Got lots of attention at the show yesterday, as did all the other Manky vehicles on our pitch. Only small low spot was finding as we were about to load the bikes back in the van at the end of the day, that someone apparently took a liking to my bar-end mirror. It's possible it was dislodged during Chris's kickstarting, but it was pretty securely bolted into the end of the bars. Looked like someone had had a very determined yank at it & managed to get it halfway out of the bar. Still got it & it's not damaged so no real problem -just one of the joys of public shows.
Standing back & looking around the bike in the sunshine, I'm very happy with it. I suspect the plastic indicators will fall apart at the first sign of vibration & you can see all the joints in the chromed exhausts, where I welded the various sections together then ground them down flat, so I wouldn't be surprised if they fracture at some point. If so, I'll replace them with single piece polished stainless ones. Otherwise, I'm hoping it'll stay very much as it is for many years to come.    
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:32:00 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1238 on: May 09, 2016, 09:20:40 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1239 on: May 09, 2016, 09:21:24 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1240 on: May 09, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »

A strangler?

Clive

« Reply #1241 on: May 09, 2016, 09:29:43 PM »

I really like those indicators you've got on it buddy and you should be happy with how it looks, it's spot on!! Cheesy Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1242 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:50 PM »

They were just quirky & unusual -& cheap, (about 2 quid for a set of 4 from Malaysia, including postage). They're only held with a bolt into a plastic body, so will either fall apart or fall off. I might try brush painting them with liquid superglue or something to try & seal them together & to the bike. It amused me to run the front brake hose through the hole in the middle of one & bolt the rear reflector into another. The exhaust blows through the hole in the other rear one.
If we can get it starting easily & running smoothly I'll be very happy.

the coppersmith

« Reply #1243 on: May 10, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »

That's a strangler !! Shocked
Olds

« Reply #1244 on: May 10, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »

That's a strangler !! Shocked
Yep. Variable restriction air inlet.
Tended to be fitted to two stroke motors, as the carbs were so basic that they didn't have a built in choke.
This is a D1 bantam one.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:47:41 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: