May 14, 2024, 09:50:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: non starter  (Read 10785 times)
gpz

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »

yes ive tried that piston is not stuck but still cant get any fuel through tried taking plugs out and putting fuel straight into the bores but ithink that it floods doing that any ideas     HELP
snafu

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »

Assuming that:-  the electrical system is operating correctly, plugs sparking in sequence etc, and plugs not fouling with fuel, and the valve timing set right, you have compression, and fuel is passing to the main jet, then the problem must be related to the engines ability to draw the fuel mix through the carb.

I would check the inlet manifold for any un blocked / unused openings i.e. servo take off or crank case breather recycling into inlet, or manifold / carb gasket.

If you cover the carb inlet with hand and crank the engine can you feel it ‘drawing’ air?
Parky

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »

Are you the Gpz that lives at Malton on the monkey map?
If you are I could swing round and take a look with you sometime as I only live ten mile away.I'm not a mechanic but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can see what you might be missing.Find it stops you getting too angry as well.
Parky...
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »

Mr 'Jeep', all the comments and advice given so far have been relevent to your problem, however I feel you may be getting a little bogged down with an overload of info.! so take a step back and.....First, check your ignition circuit, as without "sparks" the carburettor set up is irrelevant. So, with the plugs out, bodies earthed, dist. in place with points at a nom. 15 thou. spin the motor over and ensure all four plugs are sparking. Next, if that is so, remove the rocker box, turn the motor over slowly by hand, until No.1 cylinder, the front cylinder, is travelling down its stroke, with the inlet valve opening. When it comes back up the stroke its on its firing stroke. Stick a rod in this cylinder to check when it reaches TDC, then turn the crank backwards to drop the No.1 piston back down the firing stroke by 3mm, or near enough. Now, with the distrib. clamp bolt free, turn the body of the distrib. towards the direction of rotation of its 4 lobe cam until, with the points still gapped at 15 thou. on full lift, a 'fag' paper withdraws easily from those points.Okey dokey, warm the plugs on the gas stove, and squirt a very small amount of fuel, remember very small!, into each cylinder, then install plugs. Put a rag into the SU inlet to full choke it, and turn over the motor, having ensured that the leads have been relaced in the correct firing order. ITS GOT TO GIVE A BANG!!!When it does, check over the SU,they are vice free and simple, and run it...Its got to go!! Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
gpz

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »

will give that a try morag  but the only problem is that it has an electronic ignition unit not points  ive tried with easy start today and it does fire but im still sure fuel is not getting through ,not surewht to do with little inlet at centre bottom off the manifold just bwondered whether it will be taking air in there and not letting fuel through
snafu

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »

whittle a bit of wood to bung in the hole to temp seal it.

has your SU a tube poking out like the one below?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:47:14 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »

i would prefer to use a short bit of rubber tube with a short bolt in the end rather than a piece of wood Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
gpz

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »

yes it has that connection on it didnt think about that it was the small conection on the bottom centre of the manifold i  was worried about
snafu

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »

seal them both and give it a go
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »

Well, firstly, if thats the carb. your using it could do with a "wash and brush up!" and then some. Now try and borrow a conventional distr. if you have doubts about the solid state item you have, and with fuel in the cylinders it should give you a full, albeit brief run. If all else fails, bring it to me next time your in Wales and I'll get it to run for you!! Morrag

hunter

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 10:52:01 PM »

morrag I think that carb belongs to snafu. 

I
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »

Whatever!

gpz

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 08:37:23 PM »

well it lives again got it to start with the easy start but the carb is now flooding but in due course im going to ghange it for a webber
so not too woried at the moment  so a big thank you for all the advice from everybody
cunningplan

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »

well it lives again got it to start with the easy start but the carb is now flooding but in due course im going to ghange it for a webber
so not too woried at the moment  so a big thank you for all the advice from everybody

Good to hear, give the top of the float bowl a quick tap with the wrong end of a screw driver, if that dont work, turn the screw driver around and take the top off and clean out the needle valve.
gpz

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »

ive tried both off them ive had the needle valve out but cant see anything wrong with it just wondered if new needle valves were available  it was ok not overflowing so not sure what went wrong
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: