May 14, 2024, 11:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: non starter  (Read 10777 times)
gpz

« on: February 19, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »

ive been trying to get my reliant engine running with no luck
 i know it had been stood for a long time i dont think the fuel is getting through i have a temporay supply but plugs are still dry and no sigh off starting r there any jets in the carb which may be blocked any help appreciated
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »

Take a syringe and inject neat fuel into each cylinder to get the initial "bang", afterwich everything will seal up ok and start drawing petrol via the SU, as it should, trust me I;m a Doctor!  Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
gpz

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:23:17 AM »

thanks i will try that
gpz

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »

well its still a non starter im so pi**ed off with it, it looks like it will be going on e bay as another unfinshed project
cunningplan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »

well its still a non starter im so pi**ed off with it, it looks like it will be going on e bay as another unfinshed project

There is not much that can go wrong with a SU, take the top of the float chamber off and see if there is any fuel, if not, its ether the pump not working (Turn the engine over and and see if the fuel come out (Thats if you have not got a electric pump, if so just turn it on) or the needle valve sticking (Just give it a couple of taps)
If there is fuel, unscrew the black top where you put in the oil, when the rod is about half way out put a little pressure to one side and see if you can lift the slide, it it does move, take off the top completely and check the main jet is not blocked (Put a airline down there) Check the slide is free and goes up all the way.
Sick the top back on, top up with a little oil (I use ATF or very thin grade oil (3 in 1)) and try again.
Some times I wish I did'nt live so far away from people Embarrassed or else I would come and help.
Most of all "Don't give up"
cunningplan

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »

dont know if it will work! lets try
http://www.misab.se/hs8spares.gif
non starter

23 is the inlet and 24 is the needle valve
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:38:16 PM by cunningplan » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »

Wise words Tony. Never give up.
We often say here, it's beter to just lock the shed & walk away for a couple of days & come back to it with a fresh eye &, hopefully, some helpful suggestions from here, than to do anything rash like Ebaying your pride & joy. You'll only regret it! Hang in there mate.  Wink 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
gpz

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »

im running off a temporary supply at the moment so no fuel pump connected  the float chamber is full off fuel but it is making no attempt to fire i just get so frustrated when things wont go right i have had the distributor out and followed the manual instructions to put it back in so i dont know whther i have got that wrong
snafu

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »

As CP said, in the diagram the main jet is part No 43, fuel enters from the bottom/side of the float bowl. Other than fuel blockage into the float bowl this is the only place that can be blocked.

The dashpot is part No 7, before removing the 3 retaining screws scribe/mark the dashpot and body so it can be refitted in same position. Remove 3 screws. Carefully lift dashpot sliding fingers under side as lifted to prevent piston part No 9 falling out.

Look down into the venturi hole you will see A end of the main jet, if you don’t have an air compressor nick some screen washer tube of a car, cut end square, poke down hole covering the mainjet exit, blow through, should hear/see bubbles in float chamber if clear, also looking down hole operate choke lever, main jet should lower about eighth if inch (from memory). If the fuel level is correct in float bowl you should see a small puddle of fuel in the recess where the jet has lowered.

hth

madron

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »

have you taken plugs out A to see they are wet or dry and B to see if they spark as sometimes even new pugs are duff  if they spark and plugs are dry then its fuel if they spark but are wet its probably electrical
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »

i have had the distributor out and followed the manual instructions to put it back in so i dont know whther i have got that wrong
Definitely a possibility for error there I'd say!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
gpz

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »

Ron tried plugs out and they are sparking and dry but its just got worse as the starter motor has now packed up brushes look as though they are shot so need to source some more brushes to get starter going befor i can do anything else may try halfords tommorow but not sure they will have any
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »

This is a cookin' motor, so provided you have a spark, and the ignition timing is somewhere near TDC, its got to give you at least a "bang" when there's neat fuel injected into each cylinder. As stated previously, the SU is very forgiving, and will run, after a fashion. even when knackered, so rig a test tank at high level and gravity feed the carb. Finally. once your starter woes are sorted, take out the plugs and inject a small quantity of light oil into each bore, then spin it over, this will help create a seal, and hence suction for the fuel, partic. as the motor's been standing, so "nil desperandum", me old mate, onwards and upwards, or something like that.....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
tbone

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »

Can`t really add anything to what`s been posted already, just a bit of reassurance about the dizzy.
It`ll only fit in one way because of the offset drive, so assuming you lined the timing marks up on the pulley and timing chain cover and checked that no.1 was on the firing stoke, you can`t go wrong.
Once the starter is sorted you could always try a squirt or 2 of easystart through the air intake on the carb.
As has been stated before, its a simple engine, simply set up, so avoid doing anything rash and over analyzing the problem.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
gpz

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »

TB when u say no 1 was on the firing stroke i lined up the timing marks and made sure no 1 cylinder the nearest to the radiator was up at the top could see top off piston with the plug out is this right
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: