May 14, 2024, 09:26:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Saex's 850 Trike  (Read 27895 times)
saex69

« on: May 29, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »

So is the time to start a build for my self instead of others now haven seen the green or blue trike with the coolant running through the frame appeals to me.

Life is like a s**t sandwich the more bread you have the less s**t you have to eat.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »

Hiya. Coo, that seems a long time ago now!
Yeah, that's my old green one. Nigel, (Ska Man), bought the frame, tank, seat & bars from me when I decided to rebuild it as a simple hardtail. He fitted Suzuki forks, Rover rear wheels & another engine & 'box. It was shot blasted & re powder-coated in Blue & christened "Blue Job".
I ran it for 3 or 4 years, (as "the wee green beastie"), & he ran it for another couple. No problems at all with the coolant. I fitted a mark 1 Ford Fiesta radiator across the back of the frame with a Renault electric fan I think -simply because it was what I had to hand at the time, but it worked very well.

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/Trikespageimages/greentrike/green.htm

The short video clips at the bottom of the page are me picking up the Best Trike trophy at a National Chopper Club show in Northampton & arriving at Trike Fest in Cambridgeshire, which was actually my last ride on a trike cos I stripped that one down after that trip & ended up selling the next one unfinished, (now belongs to Baychimp).
Anyone know what became of Blue Job?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
saex69

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »

What sort of coolant did you use to stop any corrosion inside the frame and at the rear did you plug it so the coolant went to the rad also i could not see the filler cap or expansion tank. 

Life is like a s**t sandwich the more bread you have the less s**t you have to eat.
saex69

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »

So off i went today to NT steel service ltd over Wallsend down from Swan Hunters ship yard Tel:0191 2637463 for some 45mm tubing, There  price's are good £19.99 per 7mtr i'v used them for yrs they even let me take off cuts so after getting back to the workshop i give it a jolly good'ish clean then set up the jig which took around 5 hrs using lazers to make things line up right and level.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/19saex69/ChopperTrike003_zps2acf11e1.jpg
Saex's 850 Trike

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/19saex69/ChopperTrike002_zps510366d8.jpg
Saex's 850 Trike

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:57:14 PM by saex69 » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »

Lazers?! I used bits of string & plumb bobs.
No expansion tank, filler cap was on the rad & I used neat coolant, (not diluted with water), for maximum corrosion resistance. Just Halfords own brand, nothing special.
I think there was a bleed screw, (made from a brake bleed nipple), fitted inline in the top hose, but I've got an awful memory & it was a few years ago now.

scannerzer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »

a jig, very posh  Grin good luck your off to a good start
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »

Looking at that trike frame of yours,again after some years, Mr. M, it definitely appears the better option, cooling wise, for the radiator, well thought out and forward thinking, and in a location that allows for a more ample rad. to aid overall cooling efficiency, I'm sure.Nice one Andy, maybe if that were more the accepted norm for Reliant based trikes, then some of the over heating probs. that seem to have been encountered on a number of builds, might be avoided? It also looks a very neat layout Cool Cool Cool Cool...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
minimutly

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »

Have to agree it does look good with the rad hidden away at the back, no visible coolant pipes either. One to remember if I ever build my v6 trike Roll Eyes
Huw
kapri

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 10:25:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure Blue Job is with Snafu?
saex69

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »

Right got a start today i made up the front engine mounts and bent the 2 bottom rails but then to find i had run out of welding wire  Roll Eyes i have some on order but thought i had one reel left but it's s**t so i'm not going to use it, so i'm hoping Mr postman will bring me some to morrow.

saex69

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »

Bottom frame rails

saex69

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »

Back

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »

He makes it look so easy! What tubing are you using?

Blue Job when it was still green & when Mr Ska Man owned it. Built by my usual, Try It & See method.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:36:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

saex69

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »

He makes it look so easy! What tubing are you using?

Blue Job when it was still green & when Mr Ska Man owned it. Built by my usual, Try It & See method.  Smiley

That's what i like about it every thing just looks so right.

saex69

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »

Not a lot been going on at the moment as next door were getting a delivery from B&Q and the wagon which was making the drop took the back end of my car out so i'm having to fix that, well if you B&Q they will sure as hell will fork it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: