May 14, 2024, 05:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Problems  (Read 17163 times)
terry t

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »

ok let have a summery of whats been done
it was all working before but the wiring was a mess
rewired then no power at solenoid but when checked and replaced fuses had power
would not start on key. but if sorted across solenoid it would start
then when you went to switch the motor off it would not stop had to pull coil feed off to stop
have power to solenoid starter but wont click solenoid in to start.
so it could be
2 naff solenoids
1 naff ignition switch
or the wiring
so test the solenoid off the motor. disconnect all the wires to it.
run a live feed to the power side. and a test light from the starter side. earth the solenoid body to the - side of the battery. then take a live feed from the + side of battery to solenoid starter terminal
if it light up the lamp then check the wiring this is the only way to make sure the solenoid works or not
archiebrown

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »

There are 4 identified terminals on my ignition switch, labelled Bat, Ign, Acc and St
I just tested ignition switch and coil, it is as follows:-
key in the off position only Bat terminal is live
key in the on position Bat, Ign and Acc are live
key in the Start position just St is live
key turned anti clockwise just Acc is live
both sides of the coil are live with ignition on

The Brown wire is a replacement wire for the Blue one (the pictures with 2 Blue wires are just old photos taken before I started this project with the wiring).

"Too old to die young"-The Big Yin
archiebrown

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 10:10:24 PM »

ok let have a summery of whats been done
it was all working before but the wiring was a mess
rewired then no power at solenoid but when checked and replaced fuses had power
would not start on key. but if sorted across solenoid it would start
then when you went to switch the motor off it would not stop had to pull coil feed off to stop
have power to solenoid starter but wont click solenoid in to start.
so it could be
2 naff solenoids
1 naff ignition switch
or the wiring
so test the solenoid off the motor. disconnect all the wires to it.
run a live feed to the power side. and a test light from the starter side. earth the solenoid body to the - side of the battery. then take a live feed from the + side of battery to solenoid starter terminal
if it light up the lamp then check the wiring this is the only way to make sure the solenoid works or not

Just done the  test above on both solenoids, with same result 'NO LIGHT'

terry t

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »

it looks like you shorted out 2 solenoids then  Huh
archiebrown

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

it looks like you shorted out 2 solenoids then  Huh
Ok I can live with that, I'm a Dick Roll Eyes can you just confirm that a shorted out Solenoid would also prevent it from stopping when the key is turned off?

one arm bandit

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »

doesnt the key turn the ignition off stopping the coil from sparking?? the solinoid is only there to get the starter to spin
fifer

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »

Originally posted by archiebrown ;
I just tested ignition switch and coil, it is as follows:-

key in the off position only Bat terminal is live
CORRECT  Smiley
{ 1 } Should only have one THICK BROWN going direct from the terminal on the solenoid { where the THICK RED wire is } to the back of the IGNITION SWITCH to terminal marked BAT .

key in the on position Bat, Ign and Acc are live
CORRECT  Smiley

key in the Start position just St is live
WRONG  Sad
You need to have power from the IGN terminal supplying the coil while the starter is operated

key turned anti clockwise just Acc is live
CORRECT  and you should possibly be able to remove the key as this is your parking light position ?? BUT at this point in time of no consequence to the running
both sides of the coil are live with ignition on
Should ONLY have power to the { + } side of the coil UNLESS YOUR DISTRIBUTOR POINTS ARE OPEN
Just turn the engine over with a spanner on the big nut in the middle of the timing pulley and if correct the light should go out at some point when the points close .

Two on the live terminal (Big Red Wire) and one in middle between main terminals (like in the picture)
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q567/Archie_Brown/IMAG0297.jpg
Starting Problems

New Solenoid

IF the THICK RED wire comes direct from the battery then the way it is wired means that ALL the Normal wire Red terminals from the solenoid to the fuse box are live all the time as well .

Should only need ONE small RED wire going to ONE fuse terminal though you can wire 2 direct to 2 fuse box terminals .These terminals are normally only used for HAZARD warning , HORN , HEADLAMP FLASH all of which require power to be on with the Ignition OFF .
I shall call these terminals 3 and 4

That leaves 2 spare fuse terminals .
I shall call these terminals 1 and 2

A wire should go direct from the IGN position on the IGNITION SWITCH direct to one of the Terminal 1 on the fuse box and be looped to the other spare Terminal 2.
The wire to the coil is wired direct to the Terminal 1 position
This means that the POWER to the COIL SWITCHES OFF when the IGNITION SWITCH is in the OFF position .

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
archiebrown

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »

No!
Turn ignition on supplies power to the solenoid but turning to start does nowt.
I can start her by shorting across the terminals of the solenoid but she won't turn off when the key is turned back to the off position. She used to but this problem suddenly materialised half way through trying to fix the starting problem.

spanners

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »

so the coil is getting fed from somewhere other than the ignition switch,, look for wire,s that may have melted together  Shocked Shocked
try running a seperate feed from the ign, switch to the coil after disconnecting the exsisting feed at the coil end ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
archiebrown

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »

Cheers Fifer, I will check all that lot tomorrow night when I am a bit more awake and get back to you.
I am just about pullin me hair out, what bit I have left  Smiley

terry t

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »

No!
I can start her by shorting across the terminals of the solenoid but she won't turn off when the key is turned back to the off position. She used to but this problem suddenly materialised half way through trying to fix the starting problem.
so when you turn the key to the start position have you any power at the solenoid
also not stopping the engine when the key is turned off. is another issue. permanent live to coil or a wrong wire connected i would lose that 2ND wire from the button on the handle bar switch it could be sending a live feed back
check to see if there is a live feed to the coil with ignition off
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:41:24 PM by terry t » Logged
archiebrown

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »

so the coil is getting fed from somewhere other than the ignition switch,, look for wire,s that may have melted together  Shocked Shocked
try running a seperate feed from the ign, switch to the coil after disconnecting the exsisting feed at the coil end ,,
I just replaced that wire tonite with a slightly heavier duty one. it definitely goes from ignition switch direct to coil.

spanners

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »

I just replaced that wire tonite with a slightly heavier duty one. it definitely goes from ignition switch direct to coil.
is anything else connected to it at either end Huh??

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
archiebrown

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »

is anything else connected to it at either end Huh??
No one wire from switch to coil thats it, sumat else may be on the same ign terminal I will check tomorrow.
Have a long list by then  Smiley

archiebrown

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »

No!
so when you turn the key to the start position have you any power at the solenoid
also not stopping the engine when the key is turned off. is another issue. permanent live to coil or a wrong wire connected i would lose that 2ND wire from the button on the handle bar switch it could be sending a live feed back
check to see if there is a live feed to the coil with ignition off

"so when you turn the key to the start position have you any power at the solenoid" Yes

"i would lose that 2ND wire from the button on the handle bar switch it could be sending a live feed back" I did that already but it made no difference, but I will take it away permanently tomorrow.

"check to see if there is a live feed to the coil with ignition off" I checked that tonight for Tbone and I think the answer was no I will check again tomorrow.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: