May 14, 2024, 08:11:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Propshaft  (Read 11839 times)
steveb263

« on: November 18, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »

Can somebody tell me if I need a prop that has a sliding section on a hard tail  or would I get away with using a solid prop .

Cheers
   Steve
steve brock

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »

I've got mine u j to u j !

Steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with..
zakboy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 05:54:07 PM »

solid prop will be fine for hard tail  Smiley

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
steveb263

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »

Thanks Steve,Zakboy , this is the way in which I,ve been building it but I have encountered two different views on it from people so far . One group telling me that solid is fine then the next group telling me that even a hard tail has enough flex in the frame to warrant a sliding section or risk the prop disintegrating when driving , and after seeing the results of a prop breaking up this is the last thing I want .
zakboy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »

never had a prob with a solid prop on any hard tail trike, but if you have any concerns about it use the telescopic end of the reliant prop  Smiley ether end will be ok
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:01:36 PM by zakboy » Logged

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
spanners

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »

i allways fit a slider  it allows for any tolerance differances and wont transfer load or ,,stress,, onto the pinion bearing,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
steveb263

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »

I  was quite confident going down the solid prop route but the doubter started me thinking . I feel that the movement on the UJ's should take up the minimal flex produced in the frame , it's not like I plan on going dirt track driving after all lol . The other problem changing to a sliding prop would be buying another prop , you very rarely see Reliants in the breaker up here in Scotland because there is very little value in them and us tight fisted Scots try to get every penny we can out of any purchases we make lol .
steve brock

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

You can have my left over prop it doesn't have the flanges but the rest is in the bin ?

steveb263

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »

OH OH ! This has been the problem all through my build so far , two opposing thought schools of thought . This is my first attempt at building a trike and being on a limited budget making mistakes can prove costly . Looks as though another sleepless night is in order .
spanners

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »

. This is my first attempt at building a trike and being on a limited budget making mistakes can prove costly                       . Looks as though another sleepless night is in order .

thats what the ,, night shift,, is on here for ,,,,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
steveb263

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »

A good friend of mine  did tell me that the most important piece of equipment I will need is a pencil and pad at the side of my bed because it is guaranteed that I will wake up in the middle of the night as problem like this will play on my mind all night and a possible solution will spring to mind when I least expect it and boy was he right .
steveb263

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »

Steve I am very grateful for your offer and I will probably take you up on the offer I will send you my Email address and you could tell me what you are wanting for it . 

steve brock

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »

You can have it..! just collect it with postage I can throw in a couple of axle clamp tubes if I can find them Smiley

steveb263

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »

Brilliant Steve , would you be able to get a postage price or do I do that from my end and  if it has to be from your end could you tell me how you would like payment i.e paypal , cheque .

Cheers
  Steve
terry t

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »

I  was quite confident going down the solid prop route but the doubter started me thinking . I feel that the movement on the UJ's should take up the minimal flex produced in the frame , it's not like I plan on going dirt track driving after all lol . The other problem changing to a sliding prop would be buying another prop , you very rarely see Reliants in the breaker up here in Scotland because there is very little value in them and us tight fisted Scots try to get every penny we can out of any purchases we make lol .
Steve i think your worrying to much over this prop shaft. have a look at Andy's trike build. hes use a solid prop. and there is a lot more on here that build these that have used solid props on a hard tail with no problems
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=713.330
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: