May 17, 2024, 03:37:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564860 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8325 on: September 14, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »

Got to visit the upholsterer later this week, so I'm making the last of the interior panels for him to cover.
One of my mates at work does carpentry in his spare time, so has copied my cardboard mock-up & made the storage box in plywood. A nice job. He charged me 20 quid to cover the cost of the materials. It's been pouring with rain all afternoon, so I didn't get a chance to try it in place, but assuming it fits, I'll get it covered in plain black vinyl. I've just got to make a finger tab under the latch to open it with, to match the one on the glove box.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8326 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »

The push button latch is from a 1950s Cadillac. I bought a pair of them from Ebay last year. The seller had 9 of them! The hinge doesn't allow the lid to open completely flat so I might fit a strap of some sort to support it & stop anyone, (mainly me), from trying to force it down flat.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8327 on: September 15, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »

Raining yet again here this afternoon, but I managed to try the box in place. Almost a shame to cover it in vinyl, but there's no other wood fittings in the cab so black it is. It'll screw to the back panel, but it'll be easier for the upholsterer to cover that first as a flat panel, then screw the box to it afterwards. I thought about bolting it to the tunnel as well, but don't think it needs it, & if there's any movement between the body & the chassis it might end up splitting the ply. It'd also be a bugger to get a nut up under the gearbox tunnel between the propshaft & the handbrake cables. Looks big in the cab now, but it'll be tucked between the seats when they go back in, so hopefully it'll be quite unobtrusive.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8328 on: September 15, 2015, 05:08:35 PM »

I'd planned for the lid to come down flat & rest on the back of the handbrake lever, but the piano hinge the carpenter had to use won't open that far. So I'll have to add a strap of some sort, so it can't be damaged. I'd wondered about gluing some high density foam to the inside of the lid with circular holes in it as cup holders, but maybe that's getting a little too street roddy.  Smiley

poprodder

« Reply #8329 on: September 15, 2015, 05:16:14 PM »

neat idea there andy. looks smart.

Olds

« Reply #8330 on: September 15, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »

You could possibly change the hinge.

I'd wondered about gluing some high density foam to the inside of the lid with circular holes in it as cup holders, but maybe that's getting a little too street roddy.  Smiley

Wouldn't be "street roddy" if the box contained a bottle of Jack and the holes were for shot glasses.  Cheesy

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
poprodder

« Reply #8331 on: September 15, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »

soft drinks and jaffa cakes!!!!!

scannerzer

« Reply #8332 on: September 15, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »

You could possibly change the hinge.

I'd wondered about gluing some high density foam to the inside of the lid with circular holes in it as cup holders, but maybe that's getting a little too street roddy.  Smiley

Wouldn't be "street roddy" if the box contained a bottle of Jack and the holes were for shot glasses.  Cheesy

like that idea
Mendalot

« Reply #8333 on: September 15, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »

I mounted my hinge on the edge of the two bits of timber so it would open all the way, although you do see the edge of the hinge but its not too obtrusive. Can be seen near the bottom of the page of my build this link takes you to  :-http://www.godspeed.me/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1055&start=75

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
scannerzer

« Reply #8334 on: September 16, 2015, 06:03:38 AM »

the hinge is easily hidden by using a small strip of black vinyl between it and the wood
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8335 on: September 16, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »

To be honest..I'd take it out and make something in metal or ally..I don't think it looks right mate ?  Don't match the style of build you've got going methinks  Undecided

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8336 on: September 16, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

Won't look different when it's covered though.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8337 on: September 16, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »

Yeah, that's the point -hopefully it'll blend in with the rest of the black upholstery around it. It'll be tucked between the seats.
I'd like to change the hinge but I'm off to the upholsterer on Friday, (my day off), so need to sort it today or tomorrow.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8338 on: September 16, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »

Why not make some leather hinges ?  With holes of course ? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8339 on: September 16, 2015, 06:41:52 PM »

Cheesy Sorted. Just had to spend some time with a piece of sandpaper, chamfering the edges either side of the hinge until it had the clearance to open further. Pouring down with rain here again today, so I can't work outside. Made up the tab to go under the latch, to match the one on the glovebox, then went home to dry out. It's made from an offcut of stainless exhaust pipe.
If the upholsterer covers the front of the box in a single strip of vinyl & leaves it unglued over the hinge, it'll hopefully open & close unhindered.

Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: