May 17, 2024, 12:35:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564786 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7470 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:45 PM »

Can't get a better endorsement than that!
Do you just pull back the rubber & squirt it in? (I'm sure it's gonna take a whole heap of double entendres before the job's done).

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7471 on: July 02, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »

But tell me Andy, what do you actually ask for,when attempting to purchase this wonder cure!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7472 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »

Fortunately, like all wonder cures, you can buy it from the interweb in a plain brown envelope.
I did get some odd looks though when I opened the jiffy bag at work this morning & said Oh good, my ointment's arrived.  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:58:55 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7473 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »

Do you just pull back the rubber & squirt it in? (I'm sure it's gonna take a whole heap of double entendres before the job's done).

Yep but the beauty is that you don't have to pull it much cos the whole point is that it creeps in where the water gets in!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7474 on: July 05, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »

Tried Cap'n Tolley's cure this afternoon, shortly before it began to rain heavily. The rain actually washed the fluid under the glass & into the cab. I'll give it another go next time we get a dry day.
Not much to report at the moment, but I'm making new sill panels & hoping to organise an MOT in the near future. The headlights seem very dim & yellow, but the dashboard warning lights are just shoved in, behind the speedo at the moment. I can see glimpses of them through the gaps around the dash & the high beam light's glowing when the low beams are on. So I'm hoping the warning lights are just shorting against the metalwork & wrapping them in insulation tape for the time being will fix it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7475 on: July 07, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »

New, taller sill panels made & fitted. They're not structural, they just fill the space between the floor & the bottom of the bodywork. Now tall enough to form an edge for the rubber flooring -that should stop the rubber being scuffed or worn away on the outside edges or moving sideways on the floor.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7476 on: July 07, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »

We had heavy rain for a while this morning, but once it'd passed I got the sills bolted on & gave the Pop a quick check-over, then decided to go for it & head for the MOT station. One of my brother Brock's mates runs a small garage & MOT centre about 20 miles away & has been waiting to MOT the truck for the last couple of weeks, (he's into rods & race cars, owns a '57 Chevy & many years ago had a show winning Mini called Lil' Dream).
The K Seal treatment worked really well -right up until I drove out of the yard. 500 yards up the lane it was running on about half a dozen cylinders, with the hydraulic pushrod lifter rattling like mad again & with clouds of steam billowing out of the exhaust. Bugger.
I tried to push on & the rest of the cylinders did actually cut in a short while later, as the lifter quietened down, but as I pulled out of the lane onto the main Basingstoke/Newbury road I could see the vehicles behind me enveloped in smoke/steam in the mirrors. Nope, that's buggered. So I drove on to a layby a mile or so up the road, spun it round & headed back. No MOT test today.
It drove much better back to the yard, but by the time I got there, the cab was turning into a mobile steam sauna.
So. It looks like the head gasket's definitely gone & there's no point trying short term fixes, like K Seal. Tomorrow I'll do the rounds of the local auto factors & try & find new head & valley gaskets, plus another tube of sealant. I'm working outside, so assuming it's a dry day, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to strip the head off, (at least it's all easily accessible in the Pop), bung it back together & try again. I'm still aiming to have it running, MOT'd & taxed before the end of the week, so Loon can drive it to the big Dragstalgia meet at Santa Pod.
Trying hard to stay positive, but must admit I'm feeling just a teensy bit disheartened -I just want to get out & drive the damn thing.
On a positive note, the newly rebuilt speedo worked fine, with a nice, smooth sweep of the needle, rather than the erratic fluttering of most of the bike speedos I've had in the past. I watched it rise to 60mph before I pulled into the layby.
It feels like I'm getting nowhere at all with this, but looking back at photos of it last year, it's actually come on quite a bit. If only I could get it roadworthy, I'll be very happy with it. 

poprodder

« Reply #7477 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »

looks great andy, will look even better in paint.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7478 on: July 07, 2014, 07:22:08 PM »

Smiley Still plodding on with bits & pieces -the interior headlining panel's at the upholsterers at the moment -but the emphasis is on getting it legal again & running properly at the moment, before I run out of Summer to drive it in.

kapri

« Reply #7479 on: July 07, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »

If that  ( or another lifter) has gone again, time to forget about that engine and find another cheap runner to throw in IMO. Budget for an engine rebuild over winter .Sad
Olds

« Reply #7480 on: July 07, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »

Sorry to hear about the engine Andy. Sad
As for the windscreen you may need to use some black silicone sealant in the corners. I tried liquid sealer before and didn't last long and only seemed to work if there is no visible gap between screen and rubber.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Mendalot

« Reply #7481 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »

For the screen, I would highly recommend you get a tube of black CT1 ...... end of problems Wink  I have used it for a couple of years now, for sealing screens and panels. you can even apply it under water!!!  to remove excess use some thinners on a rag. Its not bad to remove items that have been sealed at a later date either. The water part of the vid is at about 1.49 mins in.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKHbSFvJtl8

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7482 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »

Definitely a Winter engine rebuild Kev. I'll run it up the lane & back again tomorrow before I pull it apart. It was rattling when I left the workshop, but had stopped after half a mile & didn't come back, so not sure what that means -assuming it was the lifter of course, (kinda hard to tell when you're in the cab with the bonnet closed, driving). I'm working with a budget of roughly £2.50, so nipping out & buying another motor's not really an option at the moment I'm afraid.
I'll give CT-1 a go. Certainly seems to work in that video. Captain's Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure probably works well for cracks, but not the gaping gap I've got between screen & rubber.
I've spent 6 months & all my available pennies on this truck. I've had to cancel my trip to Canada next week cos I can't afford it now, so I'm determined to drive it, whatever it takes.

terry t

« Reply #7483 on: July 08, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »

Have you done cylinder block test yet Andy to see if the head gaskets have gone
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7484 on: July 08, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »

I don't own any testing equipment Terry, but the amount of steam it's producing would suggest it's a head gasket.
Tried half a dozen local auto factors when I finished work this afternoon. No luck with gaskets. EAS didn't have a single head gasket in any of their branches nationwide & didn't even know what a valley gasket was. So I gave up the hunt, went home & ordered them over the phone from Rimmer Brothers. One head gasket, one valley gasket, both composite type.

Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: