May 17, 2024, 08:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564962 times)
Olds

« Reply #6225 on: June 05, 2013, 07:27:05 AM »

Glad that you like the centre cap, but no more etching! It's bad for my health. Well it is when the missus finds me playing with acid in the kitchen  Roll Eyes.
Anyone else wanting to try this, be aware that the reaction with aluminium, is MUCH faster than with brass or copper.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #6226 on: June 05, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »

what acid are you using?
ive got some stuff cleaning in citric acid now

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Olds

« Reply #6227 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »

Ferric-chloride.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:11:58 AM by Old Newbie » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6228 on: June 05, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

Thanks Dave.
Spent yesterday afternoon filing the welds on one of my motorcycle exhausts, (long straight pipes made from 4 sections welded together).
Mr Loon had some errands to do today & wasn't at the shop. So when I finished work I nipped up the M3 & round the M25 to Real Steel's shop in Uxbridge, Middlesex. Picked up a new head gasket & a pair of re-useable rubber rocker cover gaskets to replace the tired cork ones.
When I opened the motor up the other day there was a lot of water in the oil. Haven't been able to trace where it came from. It might just be from the truck being stored outside with the engine part assembled for a couple of days, though it was covered. I should've picked up a new oil filter while I was at Real Steel, but forgot. Hopefully the local autofactors will stock them. I also forgot to get new valve stem seals, but I'm wondering if I can get away with the old one?
I'm assuming the best way to clear the emulsified gunge is to drain the old oil, run the engine with flushing oil in it, drain it, then refill with fresh oil? If so, do I flush it with the old filter left on, then swap it for a new one? Or put a new filter on to help clean & trap the old oil, then fit a second new one after I've drained it? Do autofactors sell flushing oil?
I also picked up a twizzly suction stick thing & some grinding paste from a tool shop today. When I swap the, (presumably), bent valve for a spare one, it'll need grinding in. I vaguely remember doing that years ago on one of my Moggy Minor cylinder heads, using a friend's oscillating drill attachment. I've never used the twizzly suction stick things. If you need to use an angle grinder for your trike yokes at Loony's workshop Dave, you could supervise! 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #6229 on: June 05, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »

Not sure that I'd bother with an oil flush. Very likely to just dislodge gunk and not get it out when you drain.
If it was me I'd put the engine back together run it till its warmed through then do a hot change.
If there really was that much water in the rocker area might be a good idea to check the oil level hasn't gone up (water in the sump).

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6230 on: June 05, 2013, 05:39:04 PM »

O.K, should I replace the valve stem oil seal? I'd have to nip back to Real Steel in the morning, but they're only about 30 miles away. I know it's not good practice, but as there's no obvious damage to anything on the cylinder head, I'm hoping I can get away with the old seal. Guess it depends on whether I can get an oil filter locally, otherwise I'll be going back there anyway.

Olds

« Reply #6231 on: June 05, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »

why go to Real Steel?
Harwoods in Basingstoke should have the seals and oil filter. Though the filter will probably be cheaper at CAF (EAS)

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6232 on: June 05, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »

Harwoods? Who they?

Olds

« Reply #6233 on: June 05, 2013, 06:02:20 PM »

Land-Rover Jaguar dealers in Basingstoke Roll Eyes

Archie

« Reply #6234 on: June 05, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »

Harwoods? Who they?

Up on houndmills with the car garages mate - behind Toyota
Archie

« Reply #6235 on: June 05, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »

Also we should have the oil filter, possibly the seals at work. Got SD1 stuff listed on the website. Probably best to bring the old filter with you though
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6236 on: June 05, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »

It'll be mangled & dripping in gunky oil by the time I get it off, (Archie works for Euro carparts).
Houndmills is a local industrial estate. Thanks, didn't know there was still a Rover dealer there.

Archie

« Reply #6237 on: June 05, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »

Doesn't matter mate. They will probably have it on the shelf if it's the same as range rover etc. Just make sure you get a good one - not crossland - preferably a Bosch one if they have it. Price difference will be pennies but quality is better
kapri

« Reply #6238 on: June 05, 2013, 10:40:52 PM »

Just had to rebuild the bottom of Antons V6 oddfire due to a crappy oil filter. Disintegrated and blocked the oil pick up mesh , was Coopers . Now using Mahle ,fitted as OEM on BMW Mercs etc
spanners

« Reply #6239 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »

Just had to rebuild the bottom of Antons V6 oddfire due to a crappy oil filter. Disintegrated and blocked the oil pick up mesh , was Coopers . Now using Mahle ,fitted as OEM on BMW Mercs etc
had a truimph stag sieze up on the m6 years ago ,, it was put down to filter particles blocking oil gallery  Shocked i was never 100% shure as i found other stuff wrong aswell
also had a cummins L10  let go on the A38 at burton  non genuine filter fitted ,but there wasnt enough engine left to do an autopsy,,, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: