May 13, 2024, 08:43:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant manifold  (Read 4195 times)
hunter

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »

merv,Are we talking about the chrome being yellow in corners and difficult places,
If so it,s because the polisher hasn't taken the time to polish it,or did not have the equipment,
It takes a lot of time and effort to polish something like that.and time is money.

I
merv

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »

merv,Are we talking about the chrome being yellow in corners and difficult places,
If so it,s because the polisher hasn't taken the time to polish it,or did not have the equipment,
It takes a lot of time and effort to polish something like that.and time is money.

Hi hunter
its not yellow yellow if that makes sense,from were the shiny chrome meets what i call the bad area it looks pity plus he hasn't clean what i would call weld splatter and its been chromed over.
I did not know chrome needed polishing up i thought it came out of the tank bright and shiny

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
gazzagood

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »

hi merv from what ive heared they polish the steel and that is the crome finish
gaz

I always know what I'm doing. Can you help me
PLEASE
Chevy Rick

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »

Hi Merv sounds like your manifold was flash cromed, that gives an effect of looking thin in places, for a good finish you need to ask for triple crome that will give you that deep shine with a sort of blue tint.
merv

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 11:11:09 PM »

Hi Merv sounds like your manifold was flash cromed, that gives an effect of looking thin in places, for a good finish you need to ask for triple crome that will give you that deep shine with a sort of blue tint.

Thanks for that,I'll keep that in mind,it's finding some one to do it at a good price

hunter

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »

Triple chrome is,Clean and polish the item to be plated,
Copper plate then polish,Nickle plate then polish.
And finally chrome plate.

I
hunter

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 12:22:07 AM »

I'd forgotten the bottom bend wasn't part of it -I made & welded on exactly the same to mine myself. Just standard off the shelf bends, available from lots of suppliers, (I think I got mine from OZJ Engineering).
Haven't had any chroming done for a long time, but plan to have some of my truck parts nickel plated eventually. So will be looking for a decent plater too.

Well you know were they are going. Wink

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »

You offering Mr Hunter?
Weld splatter's one of my personal bugbears. Amazing how many show quality vehicles have pinheads of splatter painted or plated over. I always run my hands over any parts I weld, or more recently, Loony welds for me. If I feel any roughness it only takes a few seconds with a small cold chisel & hammer to knock the high spots off.
Preparation's everything where plating's concerned Merv -the bare steel needs to be polished almost to a mirror finish before coating for best results.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
merv

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »

I do feel let down by the finish and i have sent him an email telling him so.I did tell him this manifold was going to be on show when ordering it. I was expecting a lot better after all it cost me in total £274, £90 of it for the chroming, as i have never had any thing like this done before i don't know if this is cheap, dear or in diffrent, so i just trusted him as it is i feel very disappointed, after all  it is a lot of money to find. I will have to get this redone but its finding somebody

steven brock

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »

My stainless one cost me about 150 to make to give him both barrels

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 11:25:06 PM »

A shame, cos Tim, who made this, was a really helpful guy when I bought mine. Nothing wrong with his workmanship, just the chroming, which he's obviously farmed out to someone else. Sounds like he didn't realise the level of finish required for decent quality chroming & maybe used a more industrial quality coater? You definitely get what you pay for I'm afraid.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: