May 21, 2024, 12:31:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: ,,EMILY,,  (Read 166387 times)
spanners

« Reply #330 on: May 05, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »

well i,v spent all morning trying to get her to run better ,,,,and i give up ,,,,she wont be going anywhere  ,,ever ,,, time to sell as is ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #331 on: May 05, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »

Don't be daft Mike. I'm at the same position with mine -& I ain't giving up!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »

i'm the same as well, mot postponed this week due to running problems.

keep at it mike.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »

Is there a carb tuner in the house?! A carbiologist?

spanners

« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »

it got scary this morning  Shocked Shocked i havnt had to grab a fire extinguisher so quick in yonk,s  she flooded the accelerator pump and puke,d petrol all over a red hot engine,,
got to admit it caught me unawares  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »

Oooh, you don't wanna catch your unawares. That could be painful.  Shocked

spanners

« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:25 PM »

going to try phonong DB motors on tuesday,its an old firm at leicester, i thought they had ceased trading years ago but just found out that they are bigger than ever ,,but cash is tight this week and i,v got a few trips to ,wonderland, to do aswell as the property is now ,,under offer,,

merv

« Reply #337 on: May 06, 2013, 08:25:22 AM »

All the best with things, and hope you have a good week

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
kapri

« Reply #338 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »

Seems to be an issue with many carbs that if not started on a regular basis the float needle seems to stick ( something to do with the ethanol in the fuel I believe.  Remind me of what carbs you have on there and do you have a regulator+ fuel filter in the supply line ? Do you know if teh carbs are the correct OEM fitment or are they aftermarket ?
spanners

« Reply #339 on: May 06, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »

Seems to be an issue with many carbs that if not started on a regular basis the float needle seems to stick ( something to do with the ethanol in the fuel I believe.  Remind me of what carbs you have on there and do you have a regulator+ fuel filter in the supply line ? Do you know if teh carbs are the correct OEM fitment or are they aftermarket ?

hi, kev , its the original carb ,,, rochester dual-jet 165,, original mechanical lift pump and an inline filter near to the tank, its an olds 260 v8 out of a cutlass ,,delta 88, ,omega,, or simerlar of around 1976 vintage,,
carb numbers as best as i can read them are either 2 or 7,  then 045156 m7,,then stamped seperate is 2804 ,,

kapri

« Reply #340 on: May 06, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

Does it tickover OK and then play up if revved or is it lumpy and spitting back even on tickover ?
spanners

« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »

Does it tickover OK and then play up if revved or is it lumpy and spitting back even on tickover ?
it never actually ,spits back, through the carb , but it varies, it can run and tick over fine for age,s, but sometimes seems to lose a pot,but it will normally clear as you lift the revs ,but not allways  Undecided
its seems good at high revs most of the time , but its obvious that the mixture varies almost uncontrollebly,
its got two mixture screws one on each venturey, but they were 6 1/2 turns out when i got it  actually so far out that the tension springs wern,t doing anything,
each time i run it its differant  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
i darnt take it out on the road to try it as its so unprodictable, Shocked Shocked Shocked
i,v checked for all normal things like vac and air leaks ign,, ignition faults,, compression, etc ,etc,,
i,m really at my witts end with it  so,,so, many hours have gone into trying to sort  everything  else on this project out
and i,m now beaten by a f###ing carburettor  Shocked Shocked Shocked

and i was taught/brought up old school with carbs etc,,

kapri

« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »

If it's been flooding the first thing I'd do is get hold of afresh set of plugs. Modern stuff doesn't like being flooded and the ceramic soaks and then refuses to actually fire.

Now I may go over some stuff you've already tried ( or look like I'm trying to 'teach Grandma ..." but as it's still not working worth a double check.

1) Ensure static timing is correct and decent spark

2) Check firing order and also correct to rotor rotation ( easy one to get caught out on )

3) Check float level and by blowing down supply pipe that it is actually shutting off ( just had to readjust both float levels on mine even after running fine for 6 months )

4) Rule out pump pressure fluctuations and fuel supply problems by rigging up a gravity feed direct to carb.

5)Wind mixture screws all the way in and then 1.5 turns out

6) Remove throttle cable  rod so carb is standalone. Back of tickover screw so no contact with stop . Wind in until just touching and then in 1.5 turns.

7) Operate throttle by hand and check fine continuous stream of fuel from accelerator jets ( no more tha a couple of times so as not to flood plugs).

Cool Now try to start , if it goes but runs ragged , check each plug by removing lead in turn.

9) Check whether fault is plug , lead or cylinder  by moving each in turn to see where the fault goes.

10) If plug(s) prove faulty replace full set .

11) If all working replace gravity fuel system with original and recheck running .Check and fettle

12) Refit throttle mechanism ,check and fettle

I won't number this one Wink ) Drive down road and fine tune Wink

Really is worth going back and rechceking with fresh eyes just to make sure .

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »

Sounds very like the symptoms of my own motor Mike, except mine's spitting back through the carb too, (ignition timing out?). So at least you're not alone. I feel your pain!

spanners

« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

just put her to bed  Roll Eyes
she,s now a bit better but not right yet ,,
broke a couple of mechanics ,golden rules,, and its helped  Shocked

just makes me wonder whats been done before ,,

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: