May 14, 2024, 08:43:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trossachs -my tartan travels  (Read 12868 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2016, 07:49:54 AM »

Iv never been up there,looks amazing..want to but it's no fun just having to rely on driving the car everywhere ..and the cold damp weather would make it worse...but at least I can go there vicariously with MM..thank you sir..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
fifer

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »

Grin First of all, I can only humbly apologise Tom, for not giving you the promised shout for a meet-up. I really was on the road, or the beach or mountain the whole time. Next year I'm bringing either the Pop or the bike & seeking you out for a pint. You have a lovely country mate, (I notice Mr Fifer's cunningly not told me where he lives).
Secondly -I'm b-a-c-k  Smiley Safely home after a 10 hour drive & already wishing I was still there.

The clue is in my name  Grin
I stay in the Kingdom of F***

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
the coppersmith

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »

Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »

I stay in the Kingdom of F***

Fudge?

I wanted to be a writer when I left school -English was the only subject that came naturally to me. I was hopeless at everything else, (still am). Did a 4 year printing apprenticeship so I could qualify to apply as a proof reader, but by the time I'd finished, proof reading as a job had more or less died out. I guess I do work with the written word, but not quite what I'd imagined Smiley Journalism, travel writing -that'd do me. Or retiring to a cottage beside a loch, sitting on the veranda in the evenings watching the sun going down, faithful Labrador by my feet & writing my next best selling novel. Wink

Yeah, I stepped out of the hotel door on Friday morning to find it was raining -& Highlands rain is proper rain. Lots of bedraggled hikers, weighed down by enormous, soggy rucksacks, trudging along in the rain as I drove out through Glencoe. I love the stormy skies & mist shrouded mountains, but I'm quite happy to look at them out of the car window, with the heater on.
I can almost understand the motorhome thing. Basically taking your own hotel room with you, wherever you go & just stopping for the night wherever you feel like it. Some areas specifically say No Overnight Camping, but most are completely open -it'd be nice to sit outside with a drink & look at the stars & wake up in the morning to the sun coming up over the hills. With my luck though, I'd wake up to the sound of a Highland Cow trashing the van, (have you seen the size of the horns on those things?!), then step out into a coo pat, or find the van's sunk into the soft grass overnight & have no phone reception to call the AA. I'd die, cooped up in a little mobile box, miles from civilisation. I've often wondered why motorhomes are always white, rather than green so they blend in with the scenery -obviously so dead campers are easier to find. Nope, give me a hot shower & a big fried breakfast in a comfy hotel any day.  
Depending on the weather, I'm seriously thinking of taking the bike in a van next year though. I always go in early October, when most of the tourists have gone & so have the famous Midges, but the weather's still good. The sun's out here in Basingstoke this morning, but somehow, it ain't the same.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:20:37 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »

Spring/Early summer is usually a good time weather wise - the north east coast is gorguous. I think you have a grand idea there Andy, my next job after finishing my trike is to make a trailer for it, then it will be behind the motorhome and away.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »

Go for it -though didn't I hear something about towing cars on A frames behind motorhomes being clamped down on? I'd imagine it puts them over the weight limit for a standard driving licence or makes it technically an articulated vehicle? Worth checking.

Opened the Mail this morning that'd come while I've been away & had a membership renewal letter from the AA -showing someone broken down in the Scottish Highlands.  Cheesy

minimutly

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2016, 10:03:19 PM »

No intention of using an A frame, trailer, even a lightweight unbraked one is better, lift the whole thing off the ground.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2016, 10:05:07 PM »

Up, up & away!  Smiley

No Sound

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »

Great write-up and pictures Andy, I think you have travelled the highland better than me. However you might need your passport in the future if f**kin Sturgeon has her way. Sorry about that, Andy
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2016, 08:51:14 AM »

I'm sure we won't be seeing border controls to get in ?  It's not like Mrs sturgeon will advocate building a big wall to keep us out ? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »

Cheesy they'll still need the tourists.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »

I have a feeling it was towing my trike all the way to Scotland (to Fifer's house actually! Wink  ) that did for my rear axle - so I wonder what it does to car ones?  Althought that axle has a huge amount of miles on it.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: