May 07, 2024, 09:14:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556689 times)
mattyk

« Reply #705 on: August 16, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »

thats a spanky engine and a bloody good price realy dont think it would fit in an realiant trike lol the pop will fly along .are you planning to use it as a daily trot or just take it to show off at meets Huh?you cant beat an old skool rod .all these boy racers with there novas and saxos that keep putting my insurance up (im at £77 a month for a vauxhall astra 3pft!!!!) should have a lookon here and build something with character  Smiley Grin when do you think it will be on the road?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #706 on: August 16, 2008, 02:11:08 PM »

I do 80 miles a day on the motorway, commuting to work & back, so not really sensible for that, but will be used for evening & weekend mileage.
It's got to be registered as a new vehicle, through the SVA, (Single Vehicle Approval), system. That's being changed in April next year to bring it into line with the rest of Europe, so I need to get it tested & registered before then. Aiming for the end of the year if possible. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #707 on: August 16, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »

thats looking jolly good.
the rover in mine sits well forward, still more room for a rad with pop front than prefect(height)

cheers chris.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #708 on: August 16, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »

I think I'm gonna have to buy a new rad from somewhere like Pop Browns -expensive, but worth it. Been wondering about making the whole front a flip job, but decided it'll look better with the top bonnet panels welded together as a lift off piece, with the grille staying in place with the rad inside it. That'll mean I can run the car with the bonnet open in hot weather if I feel like it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #709 on: August 18, 2008, 08:44:43 PM »

Still messing with the front suspension & steering.
Bought the rose joints for the split wishbone radius arms  but not fitted them yet. Next problem is the front shocks. Most rods go with short telescopic dampers as they're simple to fit & tidy. Loony plays about with VWs a lot & thinks he might have a spare pair of Beetle ones that would suit, but we don't think we'll have the room to fit them. They need to drop between the chassis rails & radius arms, which is a gap of maybe 3 inches. That means they'd have to sit vertically, which means they'd work well but would look odd.
So we're going to try lever arm dampers. They have a cast ally body filled with oil that we can bolt to the outside face of the chassis. An arm drops from that with a linking rod which we can link to the axle. Should be a space saving solution. Maybe.
So Taz & I called in at Brock's workshop yesterday & he removed the dampers from the Moggy Minor he's stripping for his new race car. Loony wanted the back axle so we took that too. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #710 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #711 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »

These are the front dampers, which are quite chunky as they support the top of the king pins. So we'll probably use the rear ones which are bolted to the axle & are smaller.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:45:24 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #712 on: August 19, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »

These are the rear Moggy Minor dampers. Having fitted the transverse leaf spring we need a way to control or dampen it's boinginess. So we'll mount these lever-arm anti-boinginess units to the outside face of the chassis rails, then drop a rose jointed rod down to the inside face of the radius arms. Simple & tidy.
Don't worry -it'll make sense when we've finished it. Honest. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #713 on: August 19, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »

The radius arms that locate the front axle to stop it moving sideways. They're made from the rear axle "wishbones", (the V shaped locating rods), cut down & re-worked a little. The narrow end will have a rose joint fitted to it to locate it on the chassis. The wider end will finish in a knuckle joint that bolts to the axle. Rather than just butt welding the parts together, we've cut some lengths of round bar -they'll be welded into the knuckle joints then the arms slid over them & welded around.   

panthershaun

« Reply #714 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »

looking good boy's

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #715 on: August 31, 2008, 12:29:12 AM »

Well Mr Shaun's seen my Pop in the flesh now. We had a visit from him this afternoon, all the way from Kent. Good to see you Shauny.  Wink He brought along a pair of Hillman Minx wheels for me, as well as a pair of Pop wheels for Loony's Volksrod project.
My Pop's rolling on borrowed front rims at the moment, but we need to get the final ones on there soon so we can set the ride height up properly. I've already got a pair of Triumph Vitesse disc brake hubs, so I'll get them adapted to take the Minx wheels, then have the wheels powder-coated & fit a nice set of "pie crust" cross ply truck tyres.
So -any ideas on what colour the wheels should be? The car will be as it is now -satin black with the red & cream MMMotors logo on the doors. I'd like to run a red coachline along the doors & continuing on the top edge of the pick-up bed sides. The wheels need to pick up on one of those colours rather than clashing in something completely different. Black paint & red wheels has been done to death on hotrods so it's gotta be either cream or black. I was thinking maybe black wheels with a red stripe around the edge of the rim. Loony suggested chrome trim rings to break up the blackness of the wheels & tyres. Not sure but will have to decide soon. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #716 on: August 31, 2008, 12:32:35 AM »

Loony's welded the radius arms up now. Here you can see them bolted to the axle with the back end propped in place against the chassis. The Moggy Minor lever arm dampers are also clamped in place on the outside edge of the chassis rails. Hopefully it should all work out quite tidily.
The ball jointed drop arm will be replaced with a rose jointed stainless rod to connect the dampers to the inside face of the radius arms.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:34:08 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #717 on: August 31, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #718 on: August 31, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »

Two of PD's nephews, (I think), were up from Cornwall for the weekend & keen to get their hands grubby. PD & Loony have donated an old CJ250 Honda to them to hone their spannering skills on.
In the workshop you can see Dave, (Lunatic Senior)'s V Dub trike, "Pscycho Triko", as featured in the Motors section of the main site.

Psycho Triko

panthershaun

« Reply #719 on: August 31, 2008, 11:59:19 AM »

Good to see you guy's, thought I was to quick for your camera Andy Grin but I see my shorts made it into a picture Roll Eyes

Car is looking good, even better in the flesh than pictures, she is going to be one mean ride Grin Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: