May 17, 2024, 06:55:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564668 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6525 on: July 15, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »

You're getting there though Chris.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6526 on: July 16, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »

Arrived at the 'shop after work this afternoon, intending to work on my motorcycle. After 5 minutes of staring at it, while dripping in sweat in the 30 degree heat though, I thought Bugger it, I'm taking the truck out for a spin.
The thought of a quick blat up the motorway with the cool wind streaming through the open windows was very appealing. In reality, it was like driving a mobile Turkish sauna while someone put a bucket over your head & banged it with a hammer. I've really gotta sort out some heat & noise insulation.
I drove the 10 miles or so to Jackhammer rod shop in North Farnborough to buy a couple of hotrod mags to read from Miles the proprieter. By the time I arrived my T shirt was stuck to the metal seat back & the arse of my work trousers was wet with sweat. I'm really not built for this weather. Bring back the rain!
Miles offered me an ice cold Coke from his fridge & we chatted for a while -he hadn't seen the Pop up close before. He takes a trade stall to a lot of the European rod shows & always has fliers for them on the shop counter. I really fancy doing a foreign jaunt before the end of the year & he recommended this one.
It's an indoor show for trad' rods, chops & café racers from all over That Europe Place. There'll be a contingent of Brit cars & bikes going, which is great cos I haven't been abroad for 30 years & don't speak a word of Hollandaise, never used Euros etc. Safety in numbers & all that, plus I can follow someone else & not have to worry about map reading or understanding Johny Foreigner road signs.
I'm told it's about an hour & a half to the Eurotunnel link for us, then maybe 3 hours of motorway driving across EuropeLand. Exhibitors are offered subsidised chalets at a local camp site, which suits me as I don't do the C word, (camping).
I really fancy doing this & hope I can persuade my co builder, Mr Loon to join me for an end of season adventure.
Exactly 4 months today!

Oh, door latch seems to be fixed -the lock mechanism was fouling on the interior door skin, so I prised it a little with a screwdriver.
Engine's starting first time, but still spinning over a few times before it does. Apart from changing the plugs, which ain't cheap on an 8 cylinder motor, I'm not sure what else to do about that. Maybe it's just the heat?

poprodder

« Reply #6527 on: July 16, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »

go for it, enjoy, you more than deserve it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6528 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:47 PM »

That's settled then. I'll email Miles & see about getting an entry form.

poprodder

« Reply #6529 on: July 16, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »

Shocked don't blame me if it goes pear shaped!!!! Cheesy Tongue

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6530 on: July 16, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »

Yup -if I disappear into Europia & I'm never heard from again it'll all be your fault!

Archie

« Reply #6531 on: July 16, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

I'll try and get one of the bikes running right in time as fighterama is no longer happening.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6532 on: July 16, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »

"Fighterama"?!

the show's for "traditional chops, bobbers & café racers" Archie -so I guess it would have to be the XS?
I've just emailed Miles for more info on bookings, Eurotunnel fees, camping fees etc. I'm serious about going -would be cool to take a trailerful of XSs!

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #6533 on: July 17, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »

dripping in sweat in the 30 degree heat
i'd 'ave a jumper on!

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Archie

« Reply #6534 on: July 17, 2013, 05:38:38 AM »

Fighterama was a big show in Germany held in an old nuclear power station, but it's not on this year. Tracker will be painted up traditional, but invet what you mean. Doesn't have to be entered just probably a but nicer to ride over on.
cunningplan

« Reply #6535 on: July 17, 2013, 07:19:21 AM »

Go for it Mr Mankey, sounds like a good event.
That heater you had on the back?? could it act as a cold blower as well??
It used to get hot in mine, (And cold in the winter) just wore less  Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6536 on: July 17, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »

Mr Loon's blagged the Smiths heater I had. It was basically a circular radiator core with an electric fan in the middle & 2 flaps to direct the heat.
I'm seriously thinking about one of those 1940s type chrome desk fans mounted on the gearbox tunnel! Saw a little 6" one in a 34 coupe at WheelsDay. Now I know why he had it -not just for show.
Miles at Jackhammer is an agent for Dynomatt heat & noise insulation material, (looks like self adhesive silver foil). Supposed to reflect heat & deaden panel "drumming", but very expensive. Enough to do my 2 doors & the g/box tunnel is about 150 quid. I'd want to do the whole cab before upholstery but that'd be about 500 quids worth.
I emailed Miles last night about the show. Sent him a couple of photos of the truck & he's going to give them to the organisers when he sees them at the Hotrod Hayride in Surrey next weekend.

scannerzer

« Reply #6537 on: July 17, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »

I used to be a professional car audio installer and used dynamat in big installs
It doesn't need to cover a panel to stop drumming ,strips will do that job just
fine but would be a good job if you covered the floor completely . It is expensive
but you won't regret it
hunter

« Reply #6538 on: July 17, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »

Andy is this the stuff.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fairing-exhaust-heat-shield-self-adhesive-4mm-490mm-L4-/151077722535?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item232cef19a7

I
Clive

« Reply #6539 on: July 17, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »

Couldn't you get/make a swamp cooler for it?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: