May 17, 2024, 06:56:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1564670 times)
Tony oily bike

« Reply #4575 on: March 31, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »

Good progress guys  Wink ............ what day's the re-test?

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
thebigdogsix

« Reply #4576 on: March 31, 2012, 09:03:23 AM »

Is it compulsory to hag your arm out of a rod or is the cab just that confined  Grin
poprodder

« Reply #4577 on: March 31, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »

Seat's fine, but the roofline may need a little work. This is why he's called Big Daz.  Tongue

made me smile!!!
not much of that going on at moment. :-(

Archie

« Reply #4578 on: March 31, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »

Is it compulsory to hag your arm out of a rod or is the cab just that confined  Grin

Stops the doors opening......
dobber

« Reply #4579 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »

seems the moods happier down the lock up now the main probs sorted. glad to hear it.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
kapri

« Reply #4580 on: March 31, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »

We had a set back today Sad

Should have been a gentle tidy up of piping, change pedal ratio to compensate for larger bore m/c and fit an antilock valve to the rear circuit as a belt and braces set up.

Got all that done only to be rewarded with a crap pedal again.

Initial investigation has showed that changing from 5.25 to 6:1 ratio has made the pushrod vectoring worse.  We needed to increase the pedal ratio as going from 20.6 bore to 23.8 bore lost almost 150 psi line pressure . By using 6:1 we clawed over 100psi back, or would have done had the pedal pushed in a straight line Cry .

As we can't return to the lower pressure the only way round this is to lower the  actual positioning of the pedal pivot point so a tired Manky has a list of stuff to get on with tomorrow.

I can't get there for awhile now as my (donor) car is now out of tax, insurance and MOT and Marian has nicked my daily as hers has blown up.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4581 on: March 31, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »

I'm getting seriously hacked off with the damn thing now. 4 years of my life & every spare penny I've had, plus an awful lot of work, not just by me, but a whole team of superstars, & we could lose it all for the sake of these poxy brakes. I'm not a happy bunny.
Got a week to get it fixed, but even if I manage to complete Kev's list of tasks, we haven't got the equipment to test it to VOSA standards, so will have to go for the test not knowing if we've suceeded or not.
We're right back where we were weeks, months ago. The pedal drops on the first push, then pumps up on subsequent pushes -that'd be a fail on the test.
I've got to drive Taz down to Southampton in the morning, but will head straight to the workshop from there. First job will be to make a new pushrod to connect the brake pedal to the master cylinder, then alter the drop arm that connects the pushrod to the pedal, then rebuild the chassis pedal mount. When the pedal's pushed, the rod moves through an arc, rather than a straight line, ("vectoring"). That means we're losing a lot of braking effort & every pound is critical.
Phunkie Hiboy kindly supplied an anti-lock valve, to make sure the rear wheels don't lock before the fronts, but after Kev spent the afternoon fitting it, it seems to have created more problems than it's solved. So it's gotta come back out. Basically we need to get back to the point we were at yesterday, then try & lose the pedal drop.
As Kev says, I'm on my own now, but think I'll have to go fetch him later next week.
Another week & this truck becomes scrap metal.  Sad   

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4582 on: March 31, 2012, 10:22:41 PM »

Can't you put it back to what it when you had it working right?  Why was it changed?

You can't give up now!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4583 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »

The brake pedal was dropping a little yesterday -on the first push it pushes further to the floor, then comes up higher with use. Perfectly drivable, but not up to SVA standards. Re-working the pedal -again, will hopefully fix that.
We get one more chance at the test Bobbi. After that we'd have to start all over again. Now the old style SVA test's been phased out, we'd have to go through the much tougher BIVA, which would basically mean stripping the vehicle down & starting again. Don't think I can face another couple of years of that.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4584 on: March 31, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »

I can understand that!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
terry t

« Reply #4585 on: March 31, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »

Kev. if you want a lift to basingstoke next week let me know. i cant do Monday but any other day is fine as long as i know in advance.
kapri

« Reply #4586 on: April 01, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »

Thanks Terry  Grin  Not much I can do until Andy completes the list of mods I left that (hopefully) will solve the ( new) problem.
kapri

« Reply #4587 on: April 01, 2012, 08:40:20 AM »

Can't you put it back to what it when you had it working right?  Why was it changed?

You can't give up now!

It had to be changed because the cylinder we used before was projected to pass IF we could lose the excess travel. By using a bigger bore we lost the excess travel but also lost vital line pressure . Only way to get it back was by changing pedal ratio and this threw up the other problems.

Likewise although Loony felt sure the fronts were locking before the rear this wasn't clear to Manky by observation. Rather than risk the fail we went with an anti lock valve .

Everything we are doing is to try to ensure that the final test IS the final test. Unfortunately we can't check function correctly util it's on those VOSA rollers Sad
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4588 on: April 01, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »

One of Taz's relatives passed away yesterday, so I've had to drive her down to Southampton this morning. A good excuse to step away from the thing for a day. I've just about reached the end of the road with this now. I'll put my all into getting it ready for the test over the coming week, but if it fails, that's it. No more chances.
I really can't face stripping it down again & rebuilding it to comply with the new, much tougher BIVA test. Can't afford to keep throwing money at it, (spent 45 quid on brake fluid this week -& yes, I'm well aware I owe Kev & Terry a huge amount too). Can't face another year or 2 of workshopping every day either.
I'll give it my best shot, but if we can't get it through the final test, it's up for sale the following day.

spanners

« Reply #4589 on: April 01, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »

just an idea but how about givin youre nearest or friendly-ist  mot garage a back hander to try it on ther rollers before you go to vosa ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: