May 18, 2024, 11:40:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Still a bit dubious.............  (Read 2671 times)
ROD

« on: October 10, 2009, 05:38:43 AM »

As the test day for my trike creeps very slowly nearer,Im still feeling dubious about the trike and what my future is riding it! Still got my Lowrider in the garage ,so if I find trikes aint for me ,at least I'll have a small project to fall back on ! S'pose the cold weather is the worst time to start triking,but Im not gonna let that put me off! Grin
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »

Now is the best time to start ridin' the trike just take it easy and remember it's wider behind than at the front Smiley

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:33:57 AM »

What exactly are you dubious about Rod?
The build quality & general safeness of it? Looks fine to me mate. Far better engineered than a lot of stuff out there.
Whether you'll physically be able to ride it? They take a bit more effort to corner than a bike cos the two rear wheels are trying to push you on in a straight line, but wide bars for more leverage make a big diffference to that. The riding style's completely different to a bike, but certainly not difficult. Most non bikers I know that have taken up triking have less problems than bikers, who try to ride as if they're on two wheels.
Whether you'll like being out there in the weather, rather than tucked up in a comfy car? I started riding bikes as a teenager in the late 70s. All we had were "Marlon Brando" style leather jackets, (with a proper collar & a wide lapel that folded over & zipped up. Modern ones mostly have round necks & zip up much higher), & thick jumpers & jeans. I think I was permanently cold for the first 10 years or so. Nowadays the riding gear's improved immensely. Modern Goretex jackets & trousers are very warm & water proof -& also give far better protection than the old clothing. You can buy heated handlebar grips, even heated gloves, jackets & socks! Add a full face helmet & you'll be as snug as you would be in a car.
Whether you can cut it out in the traffic with so many aggressive car drivers about. Much less of a problem on a trike than a bike, simply because you've got more "road presence". Even on a small trike you take up a lot more room than a two wheeler & car drivers will treat you like a car, rather than trying to squeeze past you & push you into the gutter as I've had a few times on two wheels. You'll also be riding something unusual & in my experience, car drivers will slow down or let you pull out of junctions etc, just to get a look at what you're riding.
Some vehicles I've built have been brilliant right from the start. Others have taken a few weeks to get used to before I've been happy to sling them about & have fun on them. When you get on the road, give the thing a chance. The ride will be bumpy & basic but that's half the fun of them. Like driving a vintage car compared to a modern one, having to put a little more into riding it gives you a whole lot more enjoyment out of it.
And if you're still not happy with anything, because you've built it yourself, there's nothing to stop you taking bits back off & re-designing them to suit. Customising's an evolutionary process -things get constantly changed & adapted & a custom bike, car or trike's never really truly finished.
Stop worrying & give it a go mate.  Wink     

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »

Get out  on it man..

Where are you based Rod. Do you want someone to cast a beady eye over it?

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 10:30:20 AM »

Rod,Mr M's advise is 100% sound, and I would add the cautionary reminder that, initially anyway, you may feel that your trike has a predilection for "devouring" mini-roundabouts,well carrying on straight through them at any rate! but once you've muscled it out of that possible bad habit, the rest is simply to take it nice and steady, and take your position on the road as you would with a car, as you have a similar presence with a trike! So enjoy it, it won't all come together at once, all trikes are different, some better than others, but universally great fun! you will see, "hasta la vista" as the Man said, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
ROD

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »

Hmmmm..as usual Im thinking too deep about it!
  Gonna def give it a go guys. I was thinking more of the comfort side of things!
  Byzmax..thanks for the offer ,but Im in Essex ,a bit of a stretch from where you are mate! Im not too worried about the engineering side ,as its probably over engineered anyway! Altho' I did originally have probs getting to grips with the parameters of what works strength wise on bikes,but Ive got that sussed now.
                    Rod
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »

Comfort as in comfy seat or comfy clothing?
The seat's really down to personal preference -I've seen guys riding chops with bare metal seat pans who swear they're as comfortable as an upholstered saddle. Depends on the shape more than the padding I think. Doc swapped his home built trike seat for one from a production 125cc Cruiser last year & reckoned it greatly improved the ride. Production bike seats use injected foam padding with covers that fit perfectly -my Triumph Speed Triple has a pretty minimal seat but it's suprisingly comfy. Maybe take a look around & find a standard bike seat that you can adapt to fit your trike frame?
Clothing-wise, again it's down to personal choice, but I've gone from jeans & bomber jackets to Goretex jackets & over trousers when it's chilly, though I must admit I still wear a green nylon bomber jacket with black leather waistcoat over the top if I'm going to a "ruffty tuffty" type bike show. I really like the new 60s style Barbour jackets -longer than most bike ones so they keep your kidneys warm -a common problem with bikers caused by the small of your back getting cold.
I wear Army boots & thick sea boot socks, both available from Army surplus shops or autojumble stalls. Lightweight gloves for Summer use & proper bike gloves for the Winter. You can buy heated handlebar grips from any bike shop that wire to your battery through a fuse & switch. They're unobtrusive & work very well, though my old girlfriend Rainbow used to regularly flatten the battery on her Fazer by forgetting to switch them off when she parked up.
I hate wearing helmets & have never found one I'm totally happy with. A Roof Daytona was about the best I've found though I sold it with my last bike cos it matched the bike's paint scheme. I've always suffered with "helmet hair" & only have to wear a full face helmet for 30 seconds & my barnet takes on the shape of the lining, so I end up walking round with a mohican all day. I prefer open faced helmets -less claustrophobic. Sumo sells some great lightweight ones in metalflake colours on his website
http://vintagechop.bigcartel.com/
though they're not legal for road use on bikes, it ain't a problem on a trike cos you don't need to wear a helmet anyway. We kitted Taz out with new riding gear earlier this year. Well worth investing in quality clothing if you're going to do any serious mileage.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:04:08 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Stephen Mac

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 10:30:35 PM »

listen to the guys go for it mate as soon as mine is road legal i will be out on it no matter what and i have the kids desperate to go on it lol  Grin
bitzman5

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 01:25:31 AM »

GO for it iv been out on mine today a maiden trip loved ever minute went in a group of 55 riders impressive sight from the back were thy put me in the pack so as not to slow the faster bikes but never left behind 180 miles round our biking roads in the yorkshire dales i think thy left me there because iv got basically open pipes 1100cc of screaming yamaha pony's is a wee bit load but plenty of attention(who needs a horn ha-ha)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:27:17 AM by bitzman5 » Logged

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
ROD

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:02 AM »

Sounds awesome!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »

So what was the run you were on Alan? Got any piccies for us?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:16:30 PM by tazet » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: