May 16, 2024, 02:48:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some steering stops for my Pop  (Read 4917 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »

Arrived in the post today G.
Should do the job nicely. I'll try them for size tomorrow. Thank you.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Mr_G

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »

Sweet, Postage was cheaper than I expected, I have £1.06 change for you so gimme your paypal email and I'll send it on back to thee.

Can we have a photo of them fitted to y our pop please?

Cheers G.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »

Don't be daft! Keep the change.  Wink
Young Mr Lunatic has been struck down by a cold this week, (though I'm sure he'll tell you it's something far more life threatening than that), so no workshop activity today. I've been plumbing in the brake lines this week, but with only an hour or 2 a day to play in after work & Loony being ill, it's taken a week to do. Determined to get them finished tomorrow afternoon though, so will try the steering stops then.
Thanks again Mr G. Appreciate it.  Smiley

Mr_G

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »

Pleasure xD

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »

Stainless steel steering stop in situ.
It's basically a big nut that screws on the end of the cotter pin that secures the kingpin to the axle. The back of the hub stops against it, limiting the amount of turn. Pretty basic but it's a standard Ford design & seems to work.
I asked G to machine 2 flats on it, so I could do it up with a spanner. Could've done with the standard 6 flats though as there's very little room to get a spanner on it. No matter, I've just screwed it on hand tight for now, but will fit the stops before the axle goes together on the final build.
I'm going to screw a stainless steel button headed allen bolt into the back of the hub for the stop to butt against. That'll give stainless to stainless contact & mean I won't have to worry about wearing away the paint.
Many thanks Mr G.  Kiss
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:58:33 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »

Drilled the hubs today & tapped an 8mm thread into each one, then screwed a short M8 allen bolt in, to act as the striking plate for the steering stops to stop against. The turning circle's reduced a little further by the thickness of the bolt head, but I'd rather have plenty of clearance between the wheels & suspension arms than not enough.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

Roughly 45 degrees of turn. Not fantastic, but will hopefully be enough for every day driving.
Thanks again for your help Mr G.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: