May 09, 2024, 12:29:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay trike - update - but no photos.  (Read 7616 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 10:19:55 PM »

A lady with a plan. That's good. Sounds like you've already decided to buy Bobbi.
I agree about the rack above the engine. Looks like it'd tower above your head when you're sat on the trike. If it were me I think I'd keep it simple & just run a couple of loops of frame tubing over the engine -enough to act as a guard for moving engine parts to keep the MOT man happy, but not enough to look like scaffolding. A removable luggage rack behind the engine? Could still carry the tow hitch. I think I'd go for a large solo saddle, like the old Harley 45s, with a smaller removable pillion pad behind, rather than a bench seat, (sorry, they're just not my personal taste!).
Again, just my own taste, but I think panelling in the front with bodywork will just emphasise the fact that there's not an engine there. Rather than keeping a bike style engine cradle at the front with nothing in it, I'd redesign the frame -sweep the front tubes back across the space where the engine would sit & hang a couple of outriggers off them for footpegs etc. You could always strap one of those big diameter leather luggage bags across the down tubes for your weekend trips -the ones that look like giant tool rolls.
I'd kick the forks out at more of an angle. Upright forks will give you nice quick, light steering, but it'll be much more affected by what the back end's doing -if a back wheel hits a bump your front end will waggle all over the place. It'll also be harder to push into a bend at speed cos the big back wheels will be trying to travel forward in a straight line while the skinny front one's trying to corner. More rake will look nicer & also make things more stable. The steering will feel a little heavier at very low speeds, but that'll disappear as soon as you get above first gear. A happy compromise between the two extremes would be good.
And I'd fit a swoopier tank. Something curvier with a bit more style than the original big square shoebox. Make the trike look like it was designed as a trike, not a car pretending to be a bike. Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 09:37:24 AM »

Not decided to buy as there's a problem with the running atm - apparently it won't go above 50mph and the seller thinks it's the carb.  Doubt I'll buy unless it's been fixed.

As for the bench seat, I don't really like them either but it's a matter of practicality, I take two large holdalls to rallies and want somewher sensible to put them, also I have grandchildren who are starting to want to go for a ride on Granny's trike!

I'm not just a Sunday triker you know, the whole point of changing trikes is that I want to do more real travelling!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »

Well I really don't know what to do now.

Seen the trike, had a pillion ride, then had a go at riding it.  There are still some issues with the running - it scared me to death cos as soon as I put it in drive it wanted to run away with me, but it turned out that once warmed up it was idling much too high so that would have been the cause of that.  Also foot brake lever is on the left which is my weak leg! (Easily changed tho)

Reverse gear was blanked off, seller said it was because of MOT issues and not having a reversing light.  I thought a trike didn't need a reversing light but of course I only know about my bike trike and this was a Q plate car trike - DO they need a reversing light?  The gear selector was awkward to get at and so stiff I couldn't really do it at all (prolly neede lubing), didn't feel I could ride it safely so I only went a very short way, but I must say that what really did grab me was the handling!  Mine's really hard to steer at slow speeds and inclined to wag it's head, but this one was really great - seller had told me it handled like a dream and he was absolutely right!

But there were still problems with the way it runs, and the engine and peripherals all looked really tatty - he said it has stood outside ever since it was built, and it shows.

If I could get it only a little above the starting price it might be a good buy even if I got a new engine/box.  But he said there's about 10 people watching it so I think that's unlikely.

I might be better off starting from scratch, except I really liked the way it handles!  Not enough time to research how much it would cost to do it up - needs a complete paint job as well as the mechanical probs and the structural changes.  Auction finishes Sunday.  Really can't decide!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
tazet
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 05:01:07 PM »

10 people watching doesn't mean they are going to bid for it. With what you have said then I agree if you can get it for £600 ish then ok but the buy it now price seems a bit steep with what you will want to do with it. What would be cheaper. This one and sorting it out or starting from scratch.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 05:13:53 PM »

Thats my problem.  My fault, I should have talked to Bruce about cost of starting from scratch!  Can't get hold of him till Monday now, auction ends Sunday!

Given myself a problem...........

tazet
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 05:42:10 PM »

Manky says if it runs and handles as well as you say and has all the correct paperwork then it would be worth buying it rather than starting from scratch. All the bits are there so GO FOR IT.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 05:52:04 PM »

Cheers, hadn't considered that!  I'll give it go then!

klogan45

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 07:45:45 PM »

Being a bit thick here Bobbi, but what is aggy blue? also see other post in the handbrake thread, too lazy to type it all again.hehehe
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »

Aggy blue is just a horrible blue!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »

too lazy to type it all again

Did no-one ever teach you to cut and paste?  Very useful trick!   Wink

But yes I saw it anyway.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »

Found a picture of a trike with rear seats but not a bench, looks like it might be a good idea if I want to take the grandkids on the back...

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 04:19:27 PM »

Yippee!  I got it for £715!  I'm well chuffed!

Think Bruce will have a fit when he sees it tho!

klogan45

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »

Nice one Bobbi, I hope that you will be really happy with it. Well done, have fun.
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 04:49:08 PM »

I'm so excited!  Even tho I can't ride it till it's been modded and it will go straight to Bruce's workshop, I don't expect it will be ready till spring cos he'll work on it in between other stuff, suits me tho cos I will ride Gertie to some more rallies with a For Sale sign on - there'll be tears when we part!

Here's my new trike!

reliantman

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »

Thats good for a registered trike.
I would personally go for 13inch wheels as I think those mini ones look sad.

These were the ones I had on my Mini trike. Rallye spoked mags. They were sold with the rest of the trike.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: