May 08, 2024, 03:42:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there anybody out there?  (Read 7497 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: January 03, 2016, 08:14:04 PM »

3 days into the New Year &, despite my best efforts, I've achieved nothing so far.
My truck's under a tarpaulin outside Loony's workshop, rusting away quicker than I can repair it. Very depressing to see all the Summer's work rotting, but literally every time I take the cover off, it immediately rains again. Can't get it inside yet, though hopefully a space will come up in another local workshop in a couple of months. Just need to finish the bodywork welding, scrub the rust off & get some paint on the thing. One way or another, it'll be sorted by the Spring, but that's not much consolation at the moment.
Same kinda story with my motorcycle. Not rusting, but sat in a rented lock-up garage & getting nowhere. Just trying to retouch some paintwork at the moment, but it's too cold & damp for the paint to dry properly. Then there's a bit of engine work & the wiring to do. Not a lot, but by the time I finish work it's already dark & raining almost every bloomin' day. I spend the day trudging round the streets in the rain delivering the Mail & it's tough trying to get up the enthusiasm to put in another shift on a vehicle afterwards, when all you want to do is go home & hibernate.
So- I need a big shot of building enthusiasm to restore my flagging mojo. Anybody out there actually achieving anything, vehicle wise, at the moment? What's your plans for the new season? Finally gonna get that long running project on the road? What's happening out there? Anything?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
thebigdogsix

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »

Im in the same boat pretty much Andy. When i wake up to go to work I'm full of enthusiasm for what il do after work and to be honest when I've done i just can't be bothered or its peeing it down and the bus is outside camping season is fas approaching and hardly anything has changed apart from rebuilding the front suspension.
kapri

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »

Nope, I'm not worked on any of mine for quite awhile now. Shoulder injury slowed me down  so have been clearing stuff from the garage mainly . I MUST get on as I want the Econoline finished by Wheelsday ...which is what I said last year Sad With your Pop I'd wait for a dryer day and DA the whole thing and roller a coat of tinted Green Ti over it to protect it all and then strip and repair each section properly in the summer while driving it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »

I feel your pain chaps -well, maybe not your pain Kev, but I sympathise.
Despite the media trying to convince us otherwise, Britain's never a crisp white Wintery wonderland at Christmas. It's always grey, damp & dismal -a bit like me. Not conducive to outdoor building at all. Less than 12 weeks till the NSRA hotrod swapmeet in Essex, which for me marks the start of the car show season. So much to do, so little time & such lousy weather. At least I'm not alone then  Smiley
Yes Kev, that's exactly the plan -the green Ti paint & roller are sat in the boot of my commuter car already.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:30:56 AM »

While the Pop and the bike are outside and the weather's dismal, why not give yourself some time off?   Treat yourself to going home after work to get warm and dry and relax, knowing that you can't do anything useful anyway?  Listen to music, watch some telly on your laptop - you could even read a book (do people still do that?)

I always find that if I DECIDE to do nothing, it feels much better than being unable to do anything.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »

I'm here but I might as well not be !
Nothing getting done. Sad  An attack of cervical spondilitis (arthritis in the neck) has left me with a near useless left arm. It should improve given time. So at the moment I am just trying to tidy up the workbench and sort out my tools. It's about time too, as I couldn't actually see the workbench, just the drill and vice sticking up out of the junk. Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »

I too am lacking "enthusiasm", my son is trying to inspire me by taking me surfing etc. But I just feel old at this time, so like Olds I'm tidying the workshop, finding things I put in a safe place and lost, moving stuff from one corner to another. I have to face a lot of paperwork soon, my final accounts are nearly due, but I cant be bothered, and its not really that cold outside yet. I'm content to sit down and read a good story, currently in to Bernard Cornwell and his history based books, Agincourt etc. Well must get on, chins up  Grin
trev

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »

Nothing getting done. Sad  An attack of cervical spondilitis (arthritis in the neck) has left me with a near useless left arm. It should improve given time. So at the moment I am just trying to tidy up the workbench and sort out my tools. It's about time too, as I couldn't actually see the workbench, just the drill and vice sticking up out of the junk. Smiley
know how you feel with the spondilitis,i,ve had it for years now,i just keep taking the pills and pacing myself, i only do little projects now,i do get bored this time of year ,but looking forward to a few steam fairs and camping in the van for a few weekends,and some sun would be a bonus. Grin

yes but can blue men sing the whites?
Mendalot

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »

I know the weather doesn't help and the misery is compounded when your not feeling too good, I sincerely wish you chaps a speedy recovery, look on the positive, summer is on its way.

Ive Just sat down with a cuppa, I have been looking forward to getting back into my workshop, and now Ive had the heaters going for a few hours, there is no better smell than coffee aroma mixed with the smells of a workshop; oil, cutting fluid, exhaust fumes etc ........ just luvverly Cheesy   The only down side at the moment is that, SWMBO has banned me from eating biscuits ....... as my overalls only just do up Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Now where did i put that secret biscuit tin Tongue

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Plasticpig

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »

Rained in Cardiff for weeks now.

As per everyone else, I have been doing odd stuff, but my knees and elbow are feeling the damp. It sucks being old. Cry
kapri

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »

Snap, well except it's my right arm  Sad 'They' believe it's  rotator cuff injury but 3 weeks of physio has made no difference. Back down today to book in for a steroid injection to see if that will help.
twisted

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 03:49:31 PM »

spent 17 hours on mine over christmas break stripping engine putting in new rings and seals. plan very soon to fit new twin seat and get some paint on her  Grin
keep at it sir, every step is a step forward  Wink

a man with a fork in a world full of soup
spanners

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »

weather hasnt been fit to do anything ,, and funds and motivation is very low  need to get a van  so i get all my tools from lincolnshire soon

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
the coppersmith

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »

Shook myself down and spent a few hours on the Midge, Surprising what you can achieve once at the coal face  Wink bit nippy though.
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »

I have spent the last year building a blown Triumph sprint bike from scratch.
The big brother to my avatar.
650 pre unit bottom end. 750 unit top end. Aisin blower. Norton box etc....
I had a hankering to see if I could, so I did Grin.
I have got to the point of fire up. New inlet manifold made last weekend as the previous incarnation was not to standard.
It runs on Methanol with a boost pressure of around 12psi.
I hope to shake it down before taking it to Brighton in September for the Speed Trials (assuming I can get the silencer to work as Brighton has noise regs)
I might attempt to post a couple of piccies over the next few days.
(If you see this Tony you could put a couple up if you have time)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: