May 15, 2024, 02:37:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stafford motorcycle Autojumble & Show - Sat 2 April 2016  (Read 4200 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: April 26, 2016, 12:35:47 PM »

The Stafford jumble and show has been going for years, and is one of the biggest. It also has Bonhams auctioning some rare and valuable bikes and related 'stuff'.

A pal was going so I blagged a lift and took the camera, deciding to take pics of stuff that's little bit more unusual than (well done) pristine restos.

British engine anyone? Norton twins and Triumph twins & triples.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:06:18 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »

It'll buff out.............

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:38:03 PM »

1935 Cotton JAP looking for a new home

Tony oily bike

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »

Now this is interesting piece of engineering.........

The engine looks like it started out as a 3 cylinder BSA Rocket 3. These motors ran cams and pushrods to the overhead valve gear, but this machine has been converted to run DOHC (double overhead cams)!!

The timing chest is from a twin-cylinder model modded to suit.

Clever clever clever............ and it sits in a Norton Featherbed frame to boot!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:07:33 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »

and here's what would have once been another BSA Rocket Three, cep't its now a Rocket Six.

An extra set of barrels/heads etc have (somehow) been grafted on!

Impressive stuff.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »

Lovely old Ford Thames van

Tony oily bike

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »

Banana Bob

Pretteeeee
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:32:18 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »

Up for grabs was this very tidy Suzuki RE5.

As far as I know this was the only rotary engined bike available from the any of the Japanese four, and came out around 1974.

Norton made a rotary, Norton Classic P43 in 1987, and although rare, some of these are still around today.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »

Yamaha's XS500 from the 1970's, this one's looking for its new owner.

If memory still serves me right, think this was Yamaha's first road-going DOHC 8-valve bike.....  Huh

the coppersmith

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 04:26:20 PM »

Great pic's. Especially those 2 beezers, who thought that up? Just before Triumph went under in the early 70's they were about to launch a 350 with DOHC I think Roll Eyes I once owned an ex Bill Ivy production Rocket 3 used for the Match races, great big unreliable bike. I sprinted and hill climbed it, but the Jap stuff was getting serious, used to eat triplex chains, good days, wish I still had the bikes I parted with, most likely for a song  Cry
JayJay

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:21:36 PM »

Yes, nice to see pics from further afield. I liked the engines pic. On my smartphone  (think small) those engines looked like little robots (think WALL-E). I had to make it bigger to convince myself they weren't.  I like that though when you see photos in a different context.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:28:29 PM by JayJay » Logged

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Tony oily bike

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »

Great pic's. Especially those 2 beezers, who thought that up? Just before Triumph went under in the early 70's they were about to launch a 350 with DOHC I think Roll Eyes I once owned an ex Bill Ivy production Rocket 3 used for the Match races, great big unreliable bike. I sprinted and hill climbed it, but the Jap stuff was getting serious, used to eat triplex chains, good days, wish I still had the bikes I parted with, most likely for a song  Cry

The DOHC Triumph was the Bandit (a fair few years before Suzuki had theirs), and it's stable mate was the BSA Fury. Saw one at a show back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Apparently Rob North designed the frame.....

Your Rocket Three sounds like it was it was a handful, esp hill-climbing as most of the tracks have some pretty tight corners, but bet it sounded the biz! (any photos for the forum?)

Pics of the Fury & Bandit

the coppersmith

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »

Now you've asked an awkward question. Yes I have a few photo's, but they are that, photo's. Will have to engage in conversation with the kids (never easy!) about scanning and downloading etc. Also have a few of "Bergspider" my old thruxton bonnie. Yes it was a handful but most of the stuff was back then, triumph swinging arm whip, you learnt your limits and then fell off  Grin Dropped the Rocket 3 at Wiscombe park and really struggled to lift it, thanks for marshals.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: