May 09, 2024, 12:17:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse trike  (Read 28770 times)
klogan45

« on: April 23, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »

Well I've been racking my brain, what little I have anyway, regarding the easiest way to make a reverse trike. You know, two wheels in front. I came across this yesterday
http://www.stealth11.com/
Just to save you reading it all, though some of you might, I'll give a brief summary.

The bloke bought a damaged ST1100 and fitted the front end from a yamaha 700 Banshee. Looks good to me and the report says that handling is great too. Give good MPG as well.

Any thoughts coz I'm thinking that might be the way to go on the next one. Not necessarily an ST1100 though.
I'm thinking that with a smaller/lighter bike (like an XJ600N)the front end from a smaller quad might be ok. Any thoughts on that coz I know that there's a lot of experienced builders on here, even if you've not built a reverse trike, you may think of something usefull to help me out.

Thanks
Regards
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
bigdarren

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »

the yamaha banshee was a 350cc twin 2stroke so my guess is he  used a yamaha raptor 700 front end, if your gunna go down this road my i sugest you stay well clear of any quad parts from any of the cheap chinese range of quads as there all made from tinfoil,stick with yamaha honda or suzuki as parts will be easy to get and you will be able trust them alot more Smiley

not sure where your based but if there any good to you for mocking up i have an old set of upper A arms from a raptor 660r you welcome to have..  Wink

if you cant fix it with gaffa tape or cable ties then its broken
klogan45

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »

Hi Darren, I'm based in torquay in sunny devon. Where are you based?
Regards
K

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

bigdarren

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »

im in sunny ol basingstoke hampshire

if you cant fix it with gaffa tape or cable ties then its broken
Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »

Ok. Might just be someones lucky day (or maybe not, you never can tell you know Wink)

Klogan if you want to take Darren up on his offer, and if Darren is going to Monkey World tomorrow, and if Klogan is about next weekend, I will be going to Monkey World and next weekend I will be in Paignton for the bike festival. Sounds like pieces of a puzzle falling into place Roll Eyes

I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! I will do it! ........
well in a minute.. or... tomorrow..... OK maybe next week!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »

Darren won't be at MonkeyWorld, (but I'll PM him about it now), but I can pick up the bits from him during the week & bring them back to Guildford if that helps?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »

Shouldn't be too much of a problem As I can whip over to yours to pick them up later in the week

Just had a thought, they will go on the back of the bike wont they Huh

klogan45

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »

Hi Darren, I would like the parts that you offered please. Andy says that he'll pick the bits up from you and give them to simon who is coming down to paignton for the bike festival.
If thats ok guys I would appreciate it, be a chance to meet up with someone else from MMM. Me and Mrs K met up with Chevvy Rick and Jayjay a while back.
Thanks for the offer of help Andy and Simon and thanks for the parts Darren.
Regards
K

Simple Simon

Champion Air Rider

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »

P.M. Sent K.  Wink

klogan45

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »

Here I am with yet some more questions...well it's more like confirming or otherwise what I thinkI already know.
The handbrake on a trike has to be mechanical now....Doesn't it? Does it have to work on two wheels? Hydraulic locks are not legal and won't pass an MOT, Will they?
If i'm right it leaves me with a problem as to how to fit a handbrake on the front hubs from a quadbike for the reverse trike.
Can anyone think how I can get a handbrake on the back wheel of an XJ600 which has a hydraulic caliper on the back.
The only way that I can think of, as I have to change the engine anyway is to use a rear wheel with drum brakes and some how make a linkage so that when I put the handbrake on it will operate the brakes in the drum, if you know what I mean!
What do you think? Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks
Regards
K
Just had a flash of inspiration Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Could I mount a VW caliper on the swinging arm to operate as a handbrake on the existing disc? If so which of the Vw's is the caliper from that i'd have to use? Is it the golf or Polo???
Thanks
Regards
K

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:22:31 PM by klogan45 » Logged

snafu

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »

Bung a spot caliper on, along side the service brake calliper.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_588&products_id=8312&osCsid=ajtih33hj65pco4e0plsqf42v0

I have a couple if you want one, new in the box  Grin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:24:50 PM by snafu » Logged
klogan45

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »

Ha, you beat me to it snafu, I was in the middle of updating my last post, when I posted it you had already put an answer on.
Thanks a million, I know its a long way off as I've not done anything yet but didn't want to store up a load of problems for myself.
I'll have a look now.
Thanks
Regards
K

Plasticpig

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »

Keith.
If you used a disc rear wheel, you could always fit two calipers to the wheel. One plumbed into the brakes, and the other a mechanical one.

Here is a link to a site which has been on the net for a long time. Loads of info.

http://unitas.lunarpages.com/~norton2/shrike.htm

Posted over me. I said that as well, haha.
snafu

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »

When your ready just give me a shout, I can bung one in the post if won't do what you want you can just end it back.

klogan45

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »

Thanks guys, I had a look at the shrike, pretty cool. I'm still thinking along the lines of the stealth, but I'm still very open minded.
Thanks for the offer Snafu, are you a parts supplier as well? or do you just have one laying about in the shed? I'll shout as soon as I need it. The XJ600 has got a rear disc and it looks as if a spot caliper will fit on the swinging arm. Hopefully I'd be able to make a bracket.
Thanks  again
Regards
K

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: