May 11, 2024, 05:07:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xtreme Wheels Haynes International Motor Museum, Somerset 12-13 June 2010  (Read 1586 times)
Chevy Rick

« on: June 12, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »

JJ and myself took a run down to sunny Somerset today to combine a visit to Haynes Museum and a new event in the grounds, Xtreme Wheels not so well attended by exibiters as would have hoped.
The museum was very good value with lots to see, with activety for children, a very good days entertainment, I will be returning for a second look as there was to much to take in at one visit.

The next two photo's are for Renagade

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:13:03 PM by Chevy Rick » Logged
JayJay

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »

I was a disappointed with the show (not enough there and too much emphasis on drag cars for me) but like Rick, really enjoyed the Haynes museum.  The information they provided for the themes and the individual vehicles was very well displayed and very interesting.  The history of bike manufacturing in Britain would have kept me entertained for ages but thinking we had this large Xtreme Wheels show to get around we only took two hours in the museum and really I think you need much more.  Another exhibit - again small but very detailed - was a section dedicated to Stirling Moss and it listed every car he had raced.  They also provided a small model of each car detailing when he raced it and quotes from him saying what he thought of each vehicle.  Again, I could have spent ages just looking at that exhibit.  As well as the vehicles there was a lot of other interesting kit around the museum ranging from metal signs to old vehicle related slot machines to interesting posters and even an early juke box.  As Rick has said, lots for youngsters including a duplo area,  brass rubbing plates (including paper and crayons) for many of the cars, a Top Trumps game (I thought these cards for many of the vehicles were really interesting as you could easily compare car with car) plus Q & A sheets that the children could take around with them on a fact finding mission.  All this plus they had a good play area outside with plenty of different things to do.  Rick had to fight hard to keep me off the diggers!  Roll Eyes  I would definitely recommend the museum if not the Xtreme Wheels show.

There were a lot of drag cars at the show and this pamphlet was on one of the stands.  I thought it was quite quirky.  It is a driver's eye view of a drag race:

http://imgur.com/FhgyP.jpg
Xtreme Wheels Haynes International Motor Museum, Somerset 12-13 June 2010

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »

A very concise report as always JJ. I've been past the museum a few times, but never visited. Think I'll stop in next time.
The Driver's Eye thing is usually displayed on the Wild Bunch's pitch -Brock's drag racing buddies. We've already reproduced it in the Miscellaneous section of the main site.

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/misc.htm

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
renegade53

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:47:44 AM »

the mk2 i've seen before, hoping he'll be at beaulieu at the weekend want to see if he'll put the car on the stand in stoneleigh next year, alongside captain slows old car and maybe mine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: