May 04, 2024, 09:14:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: leading link forks HELP PLEASE.  (Read 5859 times)
klogan45

« on: November 20, 2006, 06:40:23 PM »

I may be a little mad but i'm thinking of making some leading link forks for the mini scoot. The reason being that to get a hand brake to work i need to
A) change the disc callipers for a metro .... I think, or
B) fit a drum brake rear wheel to the front of the scoot and use a quad bike lever lock as the handbrake, coz we can't use hydraulic locks any more.
I have a very nice drum brake rear wheel that I'd like to use but it won't fit centrally in the forks.
I would think that it does need to be central so I thought of using some 38.1 mm dia by 4mm wall tube as the legs and fit this to my existing yokes. (the existing forks are 38mm) I would press fit and weld a solid insert in the bottom of the tube so that I can machine the tube as necessary. Maybe even do the same at the top.
Thought of making some similar to those that I posted a pic of a while back which used 25mm square hollow section with 4mm wall thickness but they look a little 'ugly'. I would also have to make up the yokes and get another headstock tube made.
The burning question is........ would 38.1mm dia by 4mm wall ERW be ok, if i braced the tube, or will I end up killing me and my better half.
Being new to trike building any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
K
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:04:23 PM by klogan45 » Logged

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:03:30 PM »

This one's beyond my experience I'm afraid Keith. Never had any dealings with leading links. No other way of fitting a handbrake to the rear wheels to save you all that work? What about a LandRover style propshaft handbrake set up, using a moped disc mounted on the prop & cable operated so it's mechanical? Modern mountain pushbikes use cable operated discs. Might do the job.
Anyone know anything about leading links?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:21:34 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
reliantman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:16:17 AM »

I have a feeling that if you took Mankey's disc brake conversion and modified it to go on the mini setup, it might work.
The first pic below is one I nicked off the net, and the other one is my version with big trailie bike USD fork yolks. The diameter was 58mm but I sleeved them down. The tube is 50mm dia & 4mm wall.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:30:11 AM by reliantman » Logged
reliantman

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:56:19 AM »

And this one. I have to shorten the legs a bit.
This shot is from last year when I was playing with different size wheels.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:03:32 AM by reliantman » Logged
klogan45

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies, but the next question ... Will it be ok to use ERW tube for the legs, making the leading link is no problem....famous last words!!!
Thanks again
K

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

klogan45

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 09:59:51 PM »

Hi MM
can't see a way of fitting a disc to the prop shafts. I'm using an automatic mini engine and running gear and they have two drive shafts (don't know if you are familiar with the mini set-up) I would probably have to fit a disc on each shaft so as not to put them out of balance....not sure about that though. I think it will be easier to make leading link forks as this will allow me to use a very nice rear wheel that I've  got which has drum brakes.
Thanks for the suggestion. It does seem a bit beyond my capability though.
Regards
K

reliantman

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »

I bent the legs in the pic above with my 12 ton clarke jobbie, so you should not have to much trouble.
As long as the bends are identical and the the legs are the same length, it should be ok.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 11:25:26 PM »

No problem. Making a set of working forks from scratch would probably be beyond my limited capabilities.

reliantman

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 01:55:39 PM »

Andy.
They really arn't that hard to do. The legs in the pic are a bit long and I have already cut eight inches off the top to bring them back to the frame a bit.
I do have some drawings for a pair of forks made of rectangular box section which would be dead easy for you to cut and weld.  I know you like round tube though. If you like I will sort them out for you.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 03:40:49 PM »

That'd be good. I'd like to build up a library of designs & drawings on the site for the basic parts that everyone needs -yokes, fork braces, pedals, the disc brake conversion caliper plates -whatever, so that people can download them to make their own parts. SaddleBags is learning CAD at the moment so hopefully we can post some good quality stuff.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: