May 05, 2024, 04:58:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiator for a mini trike  (Read 2664 times)
klogan45

« on: November 11, 2006, 10:42:01 PM »

Hi Guys, yet another question.................... as well as converting a virago535 i'm scratch building another using mini engine, sub-frame etc. I've been told that I should mount the radiator on the front with an electric fan otherwise it will overheat. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so any suggestions as to what radiator and fan will be good for a 998cc automatic mini.
Thanks for the help
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 12:23:35 AM »

Err, why not use the original Mini rad?
Flap's orange Reliant uses a Mini unit, bought new from a local autofactors for 40 quid. We've started using electric fans from motorcycles. No idea what models any of them came from -we've just picked them up for a couple of quid each at autojumbles. Seem to work O.K
Ska Man's blue Reliant uses a rear mounted Fiesta rad with a Renault fan, simply because it was available at the time. Being front engined, the coolant runs through the bottom frame tubes to the rad. Doesn't overheat & runs fine, but then it hasn't got the heat of the engine right in front of it.
Yoda's BMW bike engined trike also uses a Mini rad, mounted sideways, more or less where the side panels would be on a standard bike, with an air scoop to direct the airflow to it.
Think I'd be tempted to mount your Mini unit up front somewhere. I'd also recommend fitting a mesh stone guard over the delicate core of the rad too.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
klogan45

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »

Thanks MM, i'ts what I was told by someone who'knows' but has not got or never has had a cartrike. I was'nt sure if the bloke knew what he was talking about so I thought I'd ask.
So, if ive got it right, I mount the mini rad on the front with a bike fan and run coolant tubes under the frame?
Thanks again, seems like the problem is solved.

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 09:26:58 AM »

That's just what I'd do -no hard & fast rules on anything trike related really. That's one of the great things about triking -lots of scope for imagination & innovation. Could mount it down the side of the motor like the standard Mini set-up as long as it's got enough airflow to it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
klogan45

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 04:45:14 PM »

Thanks again, MM, I think i should try it where it should be first, then move it if I have to.
K

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: