May 07, 2024, 08:52:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GL1100 starter motor  (Read 5284 times)
klogan45

« on: June 06, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »

What ho one and all!!!!!
Got a bit of a problem with the starter motor on the GL1100.
When I went to look at the bike it turned over really well on a bike battery.
Got it home a week or so later, stripped off the carbs, which were bereft of fuel and in a real mess.
Cleaned everything up, put them back, got some fuel in them, a squirt of wd40 down the barrels, turned the engine over without the plugs, it turned over a treat.
Put the plugs back in.................
Pressed the starter button..........
some clicking from the starter solenoid.........
engine turned over very, very slowly............
then stopped turning over.
Took the plugs out........
Put it in 5th gear, turned the back wheel, trhe engine turned over.excellent, not siezed.a result.
Took out the starter, and checked that it spins using a battery.no problem there. I put the starter back in, put the plugs back in........Did it turn over nicely this time? Not on your nelly it did'nt. Cry Cry Cry Cry
The symptoms were the same as before.
Apart from taking an axe to it, scrapping it, etc etc has anyone got any idea as to what could be wrong?
Starter motor, solenoid etc. How can I check the solenoid?
Thanks
REgards
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:29:57 PM »

Have you checked the starter and engine are earthed properly.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
tbone

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 05:08:15 PM »

I think my first port of call on this would be the battery.
The fella that sold the bike probably had it on charge all night and up ten mins before you arrived to collect the bike.
Secondly would then be the starter itself, although tested as you say `using a battery`, that doesn`t account for the load its under when fitted.
The soleniod is working, hence the clicking sound you hear from it, thats the contact plates pulling together to allow the current through.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
klogan45

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »

Thanks TP and Tbone, I'll check the earths, but it probably is the starter coz it still does'nt work properly when I connect a fully charged battery.
I think what i'll do is take the starter into a workshop in Torquay that refubishes things like alternators etc and get them to ckeck out the starter motor if it still don't work after I've checked the earths.
I'll keep you posted.
Regards
K

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »

I have a friend who is a bit of an anorak on all things GL - have emailed him, will let you know what he says!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »

Here y'go K, this is Graham's reply........

It is a starter motor fault when they are worn the armature rubs on the field windings, my 1100 suffered that but would spin over and start OK when cold but when warm gives the impression of a flat battery, starter hardly turns over this eventually buggers the solenoid contacts which is what happened with mine it now sports a NEW starter and SOLENOID not a cheap repair starter about 140 quid solenoid about 15 quid for a pattern one that will fit a proper one is 40 quid.
Hope this helps

I guess you know about David Silver Spares?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 11:31:15 AM »

That's a useful contact to have Bobbi. Thanks for asking him. Ain't mates wonderful.  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

Graham runs a pig as well as a couple of Wings, oh and a Scott .... and a 100cc Chinese cracker!  Plus a few more in his Tardis shed!

On the trike I've followed him in the pig - that was a hair-raising experience!  Never let anyone tell you those things don't corner, Graham says the secret is "Never let up"   Grin

klogan45

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »

Hello All, thanks Bobbi. No i've not been ignoring people but I lost the thread (as opposed to the plot Grin Grin Grin Grin) but I've found it again.
Here's the latest..............
Got the starter back from the shop. The guy could'nt find anything wrong  it just needed a clean up and he greased the bearings.
I got it home and it slotted straight in.yipeeeeeeee a result. It must be all the practice i'm getting Grin Grin Grin

The plugs were out so I pressed the button.yipeeeeeeee it spins over like a 'good'un'.
Put in a couple of plugs,,,,,,,, all well put in a third,bugger its turning over but slower than with two plugs.
Put in the last plug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buggery, buggery buggery (as mike harding said in one of his stories) won't turn over.

I pulled the plugs...............................
stuck me finger over one of the plug holes and pressed the starter.......wow compression excellent, me finger was pushed away from the hole with a gratifying 'pop'. Grin

stuck me finger over another one of the plug holes and pressed the starter.......wow compression excellent, me finger was pushed away from the hole with a gratifying 'pop'. Grin Grin ;

stuck me finger over yet another one of the plug holes and pressed the starter.......wow compression excellent, me finger was pushed away from the hole with a gratifying 'pop'. Grin Grin Grin

stuck me finger over the last one of the plug holes and pressed the starter.......bugger, very little compression.  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Now by my reckonong its got to be a dodgy valve or knacked rings, I hope someone can tell me i'm wrong........please.
 If it is one of these why won't the 'flippin thing turn over with all of the plugs in?Huh Cry Cry Cry Cry Could this be to do with the solenoid? It sounds like it .

HELP........please.
Thanks again for the replies, I'll keep an eye on the thread in the future, I know I'm a very very naughty boy Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Regards
K

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:32:08 PM by klogan45 » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »

K- click the 'Notify' button at the bottom of the thread and the site will let you know when there are replies to your thread!

I know I'm a very very naughty boy

Wishful thinking!!!    Wink

klogan45

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »

Thanks BG, I did'nt know what that was for.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Me mam said not to click anything if I did'nt know what it does. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Wishful thinking!!! 

Oh yes Grin Grin Grin Grin

I checked out David Silver spares, but they did'nt have a pattern starter solenoid, could you ask your mate where he got his from, (pretty please with a big cherry and some icing on the top Grin Grin Grin)
Thanks Bobbi, Regards
K

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »

Will do - you have PM

voodoo

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:56:16 AM »

If you are after a new one check out this site  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1100-goldwing_model247/
I use them all the time for spares...Voodoo....

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »

I've looked at lots of Honda spares sites but none of them seem to list a solenoid, just the starter.

klogan45

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »

Thanks voodoo, I'll have a look.
Regards
K

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: