May 15, 2024, 05:38:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you compete?  (Read 4647 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« on: October 22, 2014, 05:23:08 PM »

I ordered this fuel filter from a Hong Kong based company on "E" Bay 10 days ago, and it arrived today. Its 60mm o/a and beautifully machined from aluminium, anodised gold. It's demountable,fitting together using male and female threads, with a removable, cleanable filter, really well made, and the cost?....... £1.89 inc. of postage!!.........after a lifetime in Industry, I now finally believe that we can no longer compete as a manufacturing nation, and its not just about labour costs, as you couldn't post a reasonable sized Birthday card in this country for that sort of total cost, now could you! Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh.Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »

Speaking as a British Postie, no you couldn't.
I've bought several similarly priced items from Ebay & often wondered how the hell anyone could make a profit on them? How many millions would you have to sell to make money?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »

Search me Mr. M but it's become yet another of lifes mysteries to me Roll Eyes, however, I do know that to machine such an item as a "one off" you would be looking at............well more than I care to mention.....ho, hum...................

Baychimp

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »

If you pay someone tuppence ha'penny a fortnight you can make them at that price,and ship them worldwide.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »

No you can't, that's the myth that's put us where we are in the manufacturing "league"! as I stated origionaly, the price wouldn't cover the standard postage at UK rates Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed so how do they do it?, 'cause until we figure it out we won't come back.Morrag

Olds

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:14:14 AM »

Even if someone bought up large amounts of bankrupt stock for next to nothing and made a very small profit on each item it still wouldn't add up. Huh
I have seen such items for sale that look to be below the material scrap price and that included delivery Huh Huh Huh
At theses sort of prices there can only be losses, so I assume manufacturers/retailers are bring heavily subsidised by their government.

Nice looking filter though.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:16:44 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »

slightly off topic, many years back we went to rescue a oil tanker, ended up in Kawasaki shipyard, welding bits and pieces to get it home to Falmouth. Any way the thing was they were so efficient, 5 minutes before start time they were all at their station making sure the tools were in place etc. No wandering off to have a pee or read the paper, the hooter went and they were up tools and at it ! Work through to lunch time no messing about, then back at it 5 minutes before the hooter, no wandering back in the firms time. All this must help productivity, they all had a very positive attitude to work. I was very impressed and we tried to set an example, but then it was fag break, tea break, sponsored yap etc. So the writing was on the wall way back, even India now is thriving and most are thankful for the work. I think there is no way back to the great days of the 60's and 70's, motorcycle and car industry self destructed, ship building ??
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »

I had similar experience when working on a new steelworks, in South Africa, back in the 70's. The main Contractor/ Manuf. were Kawasaki Heavy Industries, and their guys were as you describe, and all top class blokes in their various disciplines,and they certainly weren't working for the mythical "bowl of rice" these guys had an excellent standard of living, and were well looked after by their company. Nope, afraid we have lost it, in so many areas, except perhaps complaining,too many Brits. seem all too proficient at that, in my experience, ho, hum,..the world don't owe us a living after all Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.....Morrag aka "Too old a dog who has perhaps seen the best of it!! Grin"

ROD

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »

Ive also bought stuff off e bay super cheap from China. Doubted its quality,until I received it,then couldnt believe how good/cheap it was.One electronic gizmo was about a quarter of the price maplins sold it for ,had more functions on it plus free postage and arrived in less than a week.
Plasticpig

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »

A friend went to work with Kawasaki in Saudi, on licence-built Boing Vertol choppers. He was on good money and really well looked after. If anything went wrong on the choppers that they could not fix themselves, the company would send techies from Japan within a week.
Firery Fred

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 07:15:02 AM »

I have one of these on my chop

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
andyrennison

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 08:20:20 PM »

I can add a little to this. Most of my team are in India, and yes, they work 6 days weeks and some do long days.

We pay them top dollar, health insurance, good t&C's etc - we have doctors who work for us and earn more doing transcription work than being doctors. (So before anyone thinks it, we are not a sweat shop, quite the reverse! http://careers-scribetech.com/)

But the main difference is not just hard work, its what is called the arbitrage. If I send a pound to India, it buys far more there once converted to roopees than a pound does here. As an example I go out for lunch to a cafe called Brahmins https://www.zomato.com/bangalore/brahmins-coffee-bar-basavanagudi  As an example a cup of tea is Rs14 = thats pretty much 14pence. A whole meal ( and its filling and good) is less than 50 Pence.

As globaliation takes hold, the arbitrage have less and less effect, particularly as developing world countries economies become strong and the playing field will level off. Unless new underdeveloped countries get into manufacturing....

So, all is not lost for our kids / grandkids. For now enjoy the cheap clothes, cars, tellies and the rest, while we can Smiley

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

Sounds Utopian Andy, but you know very well that its not the full story, as to be able to sell items such as this fillter here,in the UK, for little more than postage cost! then arbitrage is not the sole culprit................................ Huh but the politics of Globalisation are for another time and forum, ho hum Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Morrag

andyrennison

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 11:39:10 PM »

Sounds Utopian Andy, but you know very well that its not the full story, as to be able to sell items such as this fillter here,in the UK, for little more than postage cost! then arbitrage is not the sole culprit................................ Huh but the politics of Globalisation are for another time and forum, ho hum Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Morrag

Yes, you are probably right. I remember seeing that Primark factory come down and the woking conditions were terrible. And I also remember reading about people going blind putting circuit boards together. While they have no money and no voice, and we buy their goods that will continue. But then again, the stuff is cheap and good so what are we to do?

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: