May 06, 2024, 01:36:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555735 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2100 on: June 19, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »

The driver's footwell's a little more cramped. Because of the pedals, you can't stretch your legs out quite so much, & the gearbox gubbins takes up a bit more room. It would be a struggle to drive if there were 3 pedals in there, but fortunately it's an auto, so only a throttle & brake pedal to operate. My left leg will rest against the gearbox tunnel when I'm driving, but it does in my daily driver too. Right leg felt fine but after about half an hour of sitting in it, (I told you we drove a lot of air miles), I wanted to stretch my left leg out but there was no room to. Mind you, I get that in my normal car too, so maybe it's just me. Hey, it's a hotrod, it ain't built for comfort! I reckon it'll be fine.
Visibility isn't too bad considering how small the windscreen is, but we decided we'd probably sit right back in the seats for motorway cruising, then have to hunch forward a bit for maximum road view around town. Traffic lights might require a mirror on a stick held out of the window!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2101 on: June 19, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »

Next job is to fit some seatbelts. The commercial SVA registration test we're aiming for doesn't check anything inside the cab, but we still have to comply with normal rules for the MOT test. So we need a set of belts with the tag stitched onto the webbing that says they're legal for road use. I really fancied 3 or 4 point racing harnesses, just because I thought they'd look more vintage & hotroddy & suit the bomber seats. They require more room behind the seats for fixing though & almost a proper rollcage to hang them from. Loose webbing straps would also be fiddly to find down the sides of the seats & awkward to get on & off. I'm told you can buy 3 point inertia ones, that allow you to sit forward when you need to, but the majority are fixed, so you'd be strapped back tight into the seat, which would feel claustrophobic I think. If the car was fitted with a single full width bench seat we'd be allowed to fit lap straps.
So we're going with normal 3 point fixing inertia belts. The bit you click the belt clip into has to be on a rigid arm -the idea being that you can put the belts on & off one handed if necessary. That should tuck down the side of the seats next to the handbrake quite tidily though.
The fixings for the other part of the belt nee to be quite substantial, so I'll order some more of the box section I used for the floor cross members & we'll weld an upright section in down the back of the doors. It'll be welded to the body but have to be bolted to the chassis so we can lift the body off later. Got to go shopping for seatbelts now.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2102 on: June 19, 2010, 11:40:20 PM »

There were lots on Ebay when I was looking for some for my Maestro.

there's a hand's width of headroom too -so even though it's roof-chopped, with a 7 inch tall windscreen, it doesn't feel claustrophobic
Well of course the original car had a high roof compared to modern ones.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2103 on: June 20, 2010, 12:10:26 AM »

Yeah, the Pop had enough headroom to wear a top hat when I first got it. Still room for a decent bowler hat I think.  Smiley
Ebay will be my first port of call.

Archie

« Reply #2104 on: June 20, 2010, 01:45:22 AM »

WHERE IS MY OTHER SOCK??? Shocked
poprodder

« Reply #2105 on: June 20, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »

http://www.shopwiki.com/_Traffic+Light+Viewer?o=1071084384&s=3885&

Grin Grin Grin

panthershaun

« Reply #2106 on: June 20, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »

headroom  Huh what's that  Huh Huh chopped 3 and channelled 5 on stock chassis  Roll Eyes just hope I don't hit any speed humps  Grin Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2107 on: June 21, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »

"Traffic Light Viewer $10.99
Viewer is made of an acrylic type of material. Viewer has a suction cup to attach to the windshield. This is great for those hot rods, street rods and any custom car. Especially for those chop tops or any car that you need help to see that traffic light".

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2108 on: June 21, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »

WHERE IS MY OTHER SOCK???

-what?!

Nice to see you back Shauny. How's yours coming on?

Mr_G

« Reply #2109 on: June 21, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »

I fail to see how any Traffic Lights could be hard to see. Unless they are hidden round a corner or something but then you'd need some sort of periscope to see them Tongue

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Archie

« Reply #2110 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »

WHERE IS MY OTHER SOCK???

-what?!

Er yeah sorry about that. It was after an evening involving a bottle of rum, hot tub, cider and walking about a mile home with only 1 sock apart from passing a friends house and calling him up to shout mad max quotes at him because he has a black v8 crapi.
terry t

« Reply #2111 on: June 21, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »

by the time you have. this  tlv. rear view mirror. tax disc and hanging dice Grin Grin you wont be able to see out the screen let alone the traffic lights. just wait for some one to toot there horn and flash there lights they Will soon let you know when to go Grin Grin
panthershaun

« Reply #2112 on: June 22, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »

I fail to see how any Traffic Lights could be hard to see. Unless they are hidden round a corner or something but then you'd need some sort of periscope to see them Tongue

never driven a toppy choppy car then old chap  Grin Grin my wife's convertible is bad enough with the roof up think the pop's gonna be a nightmare  Undecided Undecided Undecided we should have the french system with smaller lights lower down....

afghanman

« Reply #2113 on: June 22, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »

Good idea Shaun!    exept they would get vandalised by all the idiots out there Roll Eyes

pkdsculpture.moonfruit.com
panthershaun

« Reply #2114 on: June 22, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »

too true old chap too true  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes thanks again for the hospitality Paul, don't forget those Bourse dates ..... PLEASE Grin Grin

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: