May 06, 2024, 09:48:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556045 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9120 on: December 29, 2016, 07:36:52 PM »

You're a builder Terry -what would you suggest, bearing in mind I only rent the garage & it needs to be quick & cheap?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #9121 on: December 29, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »

You're a builder Terry -what would you suggest, bearing in mind I only rent the garage & it needs to be quick & cheap?

There is not quick cheap method Andy.

first thing is to try and stop the wind and damp and cold air getting in use foam strips around the door will help pipe lagging is ok as you can split it then fix it back so the door closes against it a rubber skirt along the bottom of the door

if there is any gaps where the roof sheet are fitted down at the front and back spay some expanding foam in the gap

apart from putting another roof on 1" battens on top of you existing roof to give a air gap

painting some bitumen paint on the existing may help that's about it 

minimutly

« Reply #9122 on: December 29, 2016, 09:38:03 PM »

Living in the extreme west and high up to boot, we suffer from wet workshop every winter when the temperature drops - the foggy dew blowing in between the walls and roof, between the actual roofsheets, and as Terry says under doors etc is a real pain. Selotex insulation can be cut so it pretty much prevents anything  blowing in  from the roof, and since its designed as an insulator keeps the shop warmer as well. And no, not the stuff with plasterboard fixed to one side...
I would sugest a dehumidifier but since you dont have a supply your stuffed.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9123 on: December 30, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »

So Selotex is the stuff like blocks of expanding foam?
It's not rain or dew running in from outside, but condensation forming on the inside. Would fibreglass loft insulation, sealed with plastic sheet work?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:00:55 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

terry t

« Reply #9124 on: December 30, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »

So Selotex is the stuff like blocks of expanding foam?
It's not rain or dew running in from outside, but condensation forming on the inside. Would fibreglass loft insulation, sealed with plastic sheet work?

Yes it will help use thin battens to hold the insulation up and tack the polythene to it you may get some condensation dripping
the main thing is stopping the cold blowing in
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9125 on: December 30, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »

Okey doke. Guess I'll need 4, 8 x 4 sheets then. Already bought some rubber strip for the bottom of the door. Looks like a DIY weekend for me then

terry t

« Reply #9126 on: December 30, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »

Okey doke. Guess I'll need 4, 8 x 4 sheets then. Already bought some rubber strip for the bottom of the door. Looks like a DIY weekend for me then

Last time I checked Andy if your thinking of using celotec board it was expensive
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9127 on: December 30, 2016, 01:12:47 PM »

Yeah, thought it would be. If it's too much I'll go with loft insulation. Got to do something -the garage is soaking wet. The garages opposite mine, where I used to rent one, are in the sun all day & don't suffer the same.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:14:45 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

dobber

« Reply #9128 on: December 30, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »

iv just nipped in my garage , while the roofs too high to check if its wet, every thing in it has condensation on it, the grp bodied box van in there  feels like its been out in the rain.  its 80  square meter and 3. 3m to the wall plate made of concrete block and art stone,  astounded it so damp , guess its the frost and mist we have.

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9129 on: December 30, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »

Depressing isn't it. A mate leant me a tarpaulin to throw over the truck today & I've bought some plastic storage boxes with lids for a lot of the stuff that's stood on the floor, but it's only a temporary solution. My garage roof's galvanised steel & it'd frozen, then defrosted & dripped everywhere.

hunter

« Reply #9130 on: December 30, 2016, 11:36:22 PM »

Yeah, thought it would be. If it's too much I'll go with loft insulation. Got to do something -the garage is soaking wet. The garages opposite mine, where I used to rent one, are in the sun all day & don't suffer the same.

It's actually no a bad price at this size.
https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/celotex-tb3025-zero-odp-rigid-insulation-board-25mm-x-1200mm-x-2400mm.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAqJjDBRCG5KK6hq_juDwSJABRm03hngFmxrWbr_KrLk8WtqLJktYjddfVXglocc-m5GtyKxoCS-Lw_wcB

I
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9131 on: December 31, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »

That's not a bad price actually. That'd be a lot easier to fit than rolls of fibreglass. I'd just need to figure out some means of delivery -doubt they'd deliver to a lock-up garage!

the coppersmith

« Reply #9132 on: December 31, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »

In shipyards, all tools are stored in wooden tool boxes to prevent the rust and condensation forming. Metal boxes are rubbish at this. Condensation needs ventilation to stabilise the different temperature which causes it. If its cold outside and warm inside it will form on any surface suitable. Its a bitch to get rid of.
Sid_Vicious

« Reply #9133 on: December 31, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »

I'd just need to figure out some means of delivery -doubt they'd deliver to a lock-up garage!
Don't you have a friend (ex forum member) with a shop just around the corner? Get it delivered there if it's okay with him and he is there on daytime...

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9134 on: December 31, 2016, 05:30:45 PM »

Had a visit from local mate Chris today. Between us we took the pick-up bed down from the ceiling of the garage, (not an easy job as it weighs a fair bit). We eased the ratchet straps holding it up off a bit at a time & slowly let it down to the floor, then loaded it into his pick-up truck. It's now stood on end in my other lock-up with my bike. Mr BayChimp arrived at the garage just as we finished loading it so was on hand to help unload. Thanks Smiley
I plan to get the Pop up & running as it is, with just the cab on the chassis or maybe a temporary wooden flat bed, then sort out the rusty pick-up body afterwards. So for now, it's out of the way, in a dry garage.
While I was waiting for Chris to arrive I rolled the Pop outside, then one of the constant stream of random drivers who turn around in the garage area stopped for a look:
That's a Pop isn't it? Years ago, there used to be a Moggy Minor truck around Basingstoke that looked just like that, with just the cab on the chassis.
-Yeah, that was mine Smiley
While Chris was available with his truck, we nipped over to B & Q & grabbed a couple of rolls of loft insulation & some wooden battens. Got to do something with the roof so I'll have a go with that over the weekend & see how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:43:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: