May 05, 2024, 11:49:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555666 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8820 on: August 21, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »

The camera does lie -not nearly as tidy underneath as it looks here. I've treated the bare metal chassis with rust killer, then just slapped on a heavy coat of black goop, (more like treacle than paint). Eventually, (not in the foreseeable future), the whole truck will come apart again for proper paint & the chassis will be shotblasted & sprayed in black enamel.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:24:49 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8821 on: August 22, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »

Loony's emptying his workshop this week & ferrying everything to the new place a few miles up the road. He & his Dad seem to have it all in hand & there doesn't appear to be much I can do to help. So I'm just carrying on with the Pop till it gets moved to my lock-up garage over the weekend.
Finished the dashboard this afternoon. Doesn't look too bad for an aerosol job. A small ridge in the paint where I masked up the speedo, but I'll seek Loon's advice on that. Hopefully it'll rub out with some fine wet n dry & polish back up but I don't know what grade I need. The repair I made to the cracked Bakelite might last forever or might open up again as soon as I try & fit it tomorrow. If so, it's just going to have to stay like it for now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:43:53 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

the coppersmith

« Reply #8822 on: August 23, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »

from here, that looks very good.
Olds

« Reply #8823 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »

The repair I made to the cracked Bakelite might last forever or might open up again as soon as I try & fit it tomorrow. If so, it's just going to have to stay like it for now.
Bakelite doesn't like being stressed so it might be worthwhile checking that it's not put under any strain when doing up the mounting screws. Shimming might be required.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8824 on: August 23, 2016, 12:08:24 PM »

Got to hook up various wires & cables behind it as I put it in. The chances of re-fitting it without at least scratching it are pretty slim.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8825 on: August 23, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »

And I'm sure you can fit a tow hook now? It's past the test  Smiley

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #8826 on: August 23, 2016, 03:52:38 PM »

And I'm sure you can fit a tow hook now? It's past the test  Smiley
Technically no. Wink
Unless the mounting frame is E marked, made specifically for the make / model, the towing hitch is the standard 50 mm ball type and it all meets certain height and clearance criteria, then it's not allowed.

In fitting this small towing eye, (which can be argued as being a recovery point) no one can ever be tempted to try to hitch something heavy like a caravan on the back.

kapri

« Reply #8827 on: August 23, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »

The MVM is entered on the MAC at the time of passing. This means it is accessible to DVSA / Police online should they ask to question it.

As towbars have to now be type approved by the vehicle manufacturer there is nothing available where an individual can have one tested . Hence it can only be approved at time of BIVA testing where 'you' present the vehicle as the manufacturer . I did mention this all to Andy before we presented it.
stinkey

« Reply #8828 on: August 23, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »

I'd fit a tow bar and wouldn't lose any bloody sleep ..jeez ? Shocked Roll Eyes

kapri

« Reply #8829 on: August 23, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »

I'm only the messenger !!  A pedantic MOT tester could fail it as well IF he knew what he was looking at Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8830 on: August 23, 2016, 09:49:18 PM »

I'm sure a lot of people would fit one without a second thought mate, but as Mr Kapri has often said, we can only tell you the rules -what you choose to do with that information is up to you. I've got the kind of luck that would see me being nicked for it the first time I tried it &, apart from taking both my bike & my truck to shows to display as a pair, I don't have any need to tow anything.
Nice to see you at Loon's workshop today Kev, even if you did leave as soon as I arrived  Tongue
After an awful lot of struggling & a bit of swearing, I got the dashboard re-fitted this afternoon. Trying to feed the choke cable through the bulkhead, plug the multi pin connectors together, then screw the speedo cable on, while holding the freshly painted dash clear of anything that would scratch it was testing to say the least.
I have a problem though. There's an enormous amount of wiring behind it, for such a simple vehicle & it's been done by several people. Unfortunately I'm the only one who doesn't have a clue what any of it does. There was a black wire with a ring terminal on, which I vaguely remember Mr Olds & I decided was an Earth, so I've bolted it to an Earth point. Then a black wire with a Spade terminal on, which I think we concluded was a spare Live feed, so I've tucked it out of the way. So what's the 2 red wires, running into the same ring terminal? I have no idea at all. Can't see anything they're likely to connect to. The ring would suggest another Earth, but why are the wires red? Unless it was the only colour available at the time or refers to previous wiring? I can still reach them at the moment & obviously don't want to fit the panels under the dash until I know what they are. Any recollection Mr Olds?
Apart from that, it went in with no apparent damage. Need to fit some rubber edging to the black vinyl under-dash panels, but otherwise reasonably tidy.
I've put the old Morris Minor steering wheel back on temporarily while the other one's at the powder coaters.

Olds

« Reply #8831 on: August 23, 2016, 10:44:16 PM »

You do realise that was done in August 2014. I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone two years ago. I do remember that none of it was tested as there was no battery (or cables or alternator or....) Somewhere you should have a diagram of the modified wiring.
Connect a battery with a fuse in line to check nothing bad happens.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8832 on: August 23, 2016, 10:56:39 PM »

I've got a very similar total loss memory Dave, & getting noticeably worse.
I'll hunt for your wiring diagram.

stinkey

« Reply #8833 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »

I'm only the messenger !!  A pedantic MOT tester could fail it as well IF he knew what he was looking at Wink
I'm not blaming the messenger Kev..it's the rebel in me ..I bloody hate being told " you can't do this or that ?"  And when I read how us (old boys ) have now become so staid and boring and scared to put in the wrong size screw because some muppet said it doesn't comply with the rules..it makes my blood boil..I'm all for building safe vehicles ,and yes if we build it to spec we can drive it legally etc..but it now seems one has to build something with a sense of false individualism ?  I.E...you design/make a part to circumvent their RULES,which is gratifying but so pristine and smooth it looks factory made ?  Which to me is boring ? I'm not having a personal dig at anybody because we all know the time and effort we all have to put into our beloved projects..and I'm so cranky in the mornings I shouldn't write stuff on here because it comes out wrong..OOPS sorry guys..il get my coat ! Shocked

kapri

« Reply #8834 on: August 24, 2016, 08:47:32 AM »

For me it's more the financial implications that keep me in line. Unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately) having once been married to the manager of a DVLA LO I've had to work within the rules for many many years, ESPECIALLY after we parted ways!!
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: