May 06, 2024, 10:16:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556059 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8760 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8761 on: July 22, 2016, 09:30:49 PM »

I also spotted a crack in the bakerlite dashboard. The bolts are only done up finger tight so it shouldn't be under tension. I vaguely remember there being a crack in it & repairing it with fibreglass filler, so presumably it's opened up again, (yes, my memory really is that bad).
I'm reaching the point with this build though where I just need to get the thing back together & drive it again before I lose enthusiasm for it. The green aerosol paint is very flat & thin compared to the 2 pack Loon used on the dash & shows every scratch & blemish in the metal underneath, (it looks far better in photos than reality). I'm just going to have to lower my expectations for now I think & accept it's still not finished, or it'll never get back on the road. Eventually it'll all come apart again for proper paint on both the body & chassis, so this is just the second stage of a never ending saga.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8762 on: July 22, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »

Another row of upholstery panels bolted in place. Can't go any lower cos the exhaust mounts need making & welding on & the floors need to go back in. The remaining areas of silver Dynamat will need to be covered in black vinyl in situ cos the panels are actually welded into the cab.
I've used pleated vinyl for the top half of the cab & plain vinyl for the bottom. The seats are pleated & the door panels are split, half & half. I'm pleased with the look of the black panels against the green tubing -it looks a little different & vaguely race car ish, but will be so much nicer with better quality paint.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:47:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #8763 on: July 22, 2016, 09:40:03 PM »

Should be able to grind down the glass with a water cooled diamond disc, but I cannot guarantee that it won't shatter.
You could etch the plain one with nitric acid or just use fine wet & dry paper.
And yes it's possible to polish out scratches in perspex but don't use T cut, as the solvents in it can react with the plastic.
Live with the scratches if possible as it's really hard work getting it to look good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:47:57 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8764 on: July 22, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »

I've put them back in the box & back in the lock-up garage for now Dave, so they're out of harm's way. If I dropped them over to you, could you take a look? -Yeah, I know, you really don't need muppets continually asking favours  Tongue
The storage box is actually the only out-of-view storage in the whole truck, so will give me somewhere to put my SatNav, camera etc when I'm parked up. It stands out a bit at the moment, but will be tucked between the seats when they go in. The panels either side of it are recessed to allow the seats to sit back as far as possible.
The box was made in plywood by a mate at work from my cardboard mock-up & uses a glove box latch from a 1950s Cadillac. That clean black vinyl shows just how grubby the rest of the interior's got. Hopefully it'll scrub up again though.
Next job is to clean up the wiring & stuff behind the dash & hook the electrics back up, then charge up the battery, sort out a temporary fuel tank & re-fit the carb.

Olds

« Reply #8765 on: July 22, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »

I suppose so. Roll Eyes  I've got nothing better to do.  Tongue  Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8766 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:30 PM »

You know I love you don't you?  Kiss

spanners

« Reply #8767 on: July 23, 2016, 01:21:46 AM »

i,ve got a few 1/2 litre temp fuel tanks/pots here  the sort of thing you use when setting bikes up without a tank fitted

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8768 on: July 23, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »

Thanks Mike, but the fuel lines, pumps & filters are still in place under the pick-up bed so I should be able to just sit a plastic fuel can in the bed & dunk a hose into it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8769 on: July 28, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »

Haven't been able to get over to the workshop for a week cos I still haven't got a new car yet, (hopefully soon though).

Received a photo from Mr Olds on my phone this afternoon. Not only has the chap been over to the workshop & measured the light fitting, then gone home & cut the frosted glass to size -he then went back & fitted it for me. You are a star of the greatest magnitude Sir. Thank you.
Maybe that's the way forward -I stay at home & send other people to fit parts on the Pop on my behalf  Grin No? Worth a try.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:03:15 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #8770 on: July 28, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »

Maybe that's the way forward -I stay at home & send other people to fit parts on the Pop on my behalf  Grin No? Worth a try.

No !
I had to go passed the workshop twice this week so that wasn't a problem. The problem was you not knowing what size it needed to be. Wink Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 05:31:16 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8771 on: July 28, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »

Yeah, I tend to be the problem most of the time.  Tongue

poprodder

« Reply #8772 on: July 29, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »

like that a lot.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8773 on: July 29, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »

The paint & filler look better in soft focus.

Olds

« Reply #8774 on: July 30, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »

in soft focus.
Cheesy
Pic was taken with the tarp still over the pop and using a very old phone. It's surprising that you can actually see anything at all. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: