May 05, 2024, 11:16:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555648 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8700 on: May 31, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »

I agree..BUT ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
kapri

« Reply #8701 on: June 01, 2016, 08:42:56 AM »

BIVA =sorted . One Pop through already, another being remodified to pass ( he got caught) .
stinkey

« Reply #8702 on: June 01, 2016, 08:47:43 AM »

Seems more and more will be caught judging by what I'm seeing on face book forums ?

kapri

« Reply #8703 on: June 01, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »

At ACE we were warning people for years as the risks of being caught increased and that it needed to be considered when building . Latest MOT, if it goes through unchanged, also holds some nasty changes.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8704 on: June 05, 2016, 10:32:48 PM »

Very hot sunshine here in Hampshire today, so back to rubbing filler down this afternoon.
A couple of rainy evenings had left some surface rust on the exposed metal, so after scrubbing it off, I squirted it with a can of Halfords aerosol filler/primer. Not particularly brilliant stuff, but hopefully enough to fill the scratches left by the 180 grit wet n dry paper I've been using. Mustard yellow instead of green?  Tongue

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8705 on: June 05, 2016, 10:35:05 PM »

Didn't have enough to do the whole roof, so will pick up some more tomorrow.
It's obviously popular with the local insect population -almost the moment I sprayed it on, it was covered with flies.

Olds

« Reply #8706 on: June 06, 2016, 06:10:27 AM »

It's obviously popular with the local insect population -almost the moment I sprayed it on, it was covered with flies.
Unfortunately that will always be a problem with paint in the 530 - 575 um spectrum.
To a bug it looks like a huge ranuculus. Cheesy
Halfords primer filler is not great stuff but being in a can does make it handy.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #8707 on: June 06, 2016, 07:34:44 AM »

We made the mistake of having yellow T shirt for the Wheelers years ago Sad
merv

« Reply #8708 on: June 06, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

That's why we wear orange hi-vis tops on the bin rounds, the bugs don't seem to get drawn to the colour like they do to yellow

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
stinkey

« Reply #8709 on: June 06, 2016, 08:11:44 AM »

That's why we wear orange hi-vis tops on the bin rounds, the bugs don't seem to get drawn to the colour like they do to yellow
You shouldn't be raking around the bins in hi viz vests..people will see you ? As a child I did it at night .. Roll Eyes

Mendalot

« Reply #8710 on: June 06, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »

To a bug it looks like a huge ranuculus.

Oi Buttercup, leave out the long words!!  I had to look it up Grin Grin

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8711 on: June 06, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »

I had a huge ranuculus once -but I kept using the ointment & it cleared right up.

Thank you to Mr BayChimp for lending a hand with rubbing filler down this afternoon. Same time tomorrow Bob?  Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8712 on: June 14, 2016, 08:15:13 PM »

Heavy rain for the last few days has kept me from working on this, so I've been tinkering with my bike project instead. My day off today though.
I've been peering underneath the cab while rubbing filler down on the sill panels & been p**ed off at how rusty everything is. We ran the Pop in bare metal for it's first year, including the chassis, then it's sat outside for a couple of years. It ain't pretty.
So while I'm sorting the cab out I decided to pull up the floor panels & get them shot blasted & powder coated, more to tidy it up for the MOT man's benefit than anything else. A bigger job than I thought, as usual, cos the inside edges tuck under the gearbox tunnel. Eventually got them out & now I can scrub the rust off the chassis & brush paint it. Eventually I'll strip the whole truck down & blast & enamel paint the chassis, but brush-on rust killer & paint will do for now.
Discovered that one of the bolts that holds the inspection cover for the brake master cylinder to the floor was tightened down onto a copper brake pipe. Fortunately not enough to damage it, but at least taking the floor out has alerted me to it so I can fit a shorter bolt when it goes back.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 04:37:06 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8713 on: June 14, 2016, 08:22:17 PM »

The other bits that really look tatty from underneath are the exhaust silencers. They're mild steel reproduction vintage tractor mufflers & have rusted quite badly, (I painted them with high temp' paint but I've yet to find one, other than barbeque paint, that stays on for more than a week). The tractor pipes also step down from 2" inlet to 1 1/2" outlet, which isn't ideal. Oh & I'd hung them from rubber Mini bobbins, but they're supposed to be used in compression, (with the weight of the pipe resting on them), not hanging from them, so they've started to pull apart.
So while the floor's out & I've got better access, I'm fitting the stainless "Cherry Bomb" silencers I bought a couple of years ago. They match the ones on the cross over tail pipe set-up which I've yet to refit.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8714 on: June 14, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »

So this afternoon I drove to Berkshire to drop the floor panels at the powder coaters, then on to Wiltshire to drop the silencers at Torque Technique, who made the pipes for my motorcycle a couple of weeks ago.
They're going to make up the angled front pipe for me & weld them to the Cherry Bombs. I'll cut the stainless flanges off the old pipe, bolt them to the rest of the system, then tack them to the new silencers in situ, to make sure all the bolts line up. Then I need to make up new tabs for the rubber mounts.

Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: