May 06, 2024, 10:36:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556066 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8520 on: December 28, 2015, 10:13:44 PM »

...while the backs are vertical to sit close to the back of the pick-up bed.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #8521 on: December 28, 2015, 10:17:27 PM »

Coming on and looking good.
If you insist on fixing the mounts to the tank, it might be better to get them brazed on. Less likely to cause problems and it would be easier to remove them if necessary.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8522 on: December 28, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »

The only person I know who could braze them would be you Dave!  Grin
Just guessing at their position on the tank here. The mounting studs under the cradles need to sit in their holes in the bed to make sure everything fits.
Not very pleased with the pro welding job on the original filler & fuel gauge sender unit holes -just patches welded on the outside of the tank. Not pretty, but they probably didn't think they'd be on show. Hopefully they're fuel tight though & I can bury them in some creative filler work.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:25:39 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #8523 on: December 29, 2015, 09:50:42 AM »

That's the trouble with farming work out without specific instructions or doing all the  job bar for the important one. To them it would have just been a tank that needed holes blanking NOT that it had to look as if the holes were never there . A tickle with the grinder to create a hole where the edges could have been joggled to get a flush fit plate ...it's not too late yet.
kapri

« Reply #8524 on: December 29, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »

What about some decorative metal covering over that area as well ie brass patches , makers plate or similar etc gripfilled / 2k epoxy resin to disguise that area.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8525 on: December 29, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »

Yeah, I wondered if it could be disguised with some pinstriping, but don't really want striping -love it, but it's a bit cliche. I could have a black vinyl panel made to wrap around the centre section but that might just look odd. The patch on the back's offset & is partly under the cradle, so that'll probably just have to be filled but won't notice so much.

Mendalot

« Reply #8526 on: December 29, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »

If you were intending to use the two leather straps as before (even though tank being brazed) a bit of leather to match around the center section may look good Smiley Obviously its personal preference Wink

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8527 on: December 29, 2015, 06:28:55 PM »

Still considering options. Ideally it'd just be painted -it's a truck. I don't want it too showy. Painting will mean filling though. Not a problem as long as it doesn't have to be so thick that it ends up flush with the swage lines around the tank.
I tack welded the cradles to the tank today, then texted my brother, Mr Brock, to ask if he could TIG weld them for me. Haven't had a reply! Smiley

Olds

« Reply #8528 on: December 29, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »

Haven't had a reply! Smiley
TIG welding 6mm to 22 swg. I wouldn't reply either.  Cheesy
If anyone can do it (and keep it fuel tight), it's Brock.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:33:21 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
minimutly

« Reply #8529 on: December 29, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »

Agree with Olds, you could end up with a leak hidden under the weld/strap, difficult to detect unless you fill with fuel, or water?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8530 on: December 29, 2015, 08:22:37 PM »

Steve, (Brock), builds drag cars for a living, including fuel tanks. I trust his skills. Dropping it off at his workshop in Wiltshire in the next few days.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:31:28 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

lunatic

« Reply #8531 on: December 31, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »

and to be fair, it worked on the last tank, only difference was i mig welded it and the tank was 60years old.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8532 on: December 31, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »

Dropped it off at Mr Brock's Wiltshire workshop after work this afternoon. Should be done in a couple of days.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8533 on: January 19, 2016, 09:34:13 PM »

Tank should be ready this weekend, (Mr Brock's been busy).
Had a distinct lack of Building Mojo recently -seems to have been raining here for weeks so no point even taking the tarpaulin off the Pop. I've been working on my motorcycle instead, but now that's nearing completion, I really need to get back to the Pop.
Loony's moving workshops soon & although I should be able to fit the Pop in the same lock-up garage the bike's in, there's no power supply. So at the very least, I need to get all the welding, grinding & wire wheeling of the surface rust done & hopefully a good thick coat of filler/primer on it too. I really want to be driving this again in the Spring.
It was -3 here this morning but had turned into a nice sunny day by lunchtime. So when I finished work I headed to the workshop to see how bad the Pop looked after weeks of sitting under a tarp' in the rain. Not actually as rusty as I'd expected, but not pretty. I wire wheeled the rust off around the swageline on the drivers side, which I welded a couple of weeks ago, then added a skim of filler with extra hardener in it. Also measured & cut a fill-in panel to go under the door sill. By then it was already too cold & damp to do any more outside but tomorrow's forcast to be the same as today, so I'm hoping to get back to weld that panel in.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8534 on: January 19, 2016, 09:39:44 PM »

The rear mudguard from my bike, back at Loony's for a respray, (it's got a run & a couple of scuffs in it). It's done in 2 Pack gloss black over black powder-coat. The Pop mudguards were hand made by the same guy but are just powder-coated at the moment. They definitely need to be sprayed to match at some point.

Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: