May 05, 2024, 10:33:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555628 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8460 on: October 17, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »

My son in law is a welder/fabricator who did the fuill apprenticeship when such things were available.  As a result, he knows his job and is good at it - so that in spite of several companies he's worked for closing down/ relocating/ being taken over/ making redundancies, he's never been out of work for more than a few weeks, and has survived most rounds of redundancy.

Of course it did involve a lot of college work which was hard for him, and several years of working for not a lot of money.  But at the end of that, he didn't have a huge debt like most university students, and he had a good skill that's enabled him (along woith my daughter of course) to provide a good life for his family.

Trouble is, even if that kind of apprenticeship was widely available, young people now want it all at once, unless they can go to university and have fun for 3 or 4 years.  Can't blame them, schools have encouraged them and the government has made it almost compulsory.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #8461 on: October 17, 2015, 10:26:54 AM »

Well that was true a few years ago BG, but since that slimeball Blair slung his hook the government have realised their mistake. It used to make my blood boil the way he belittled the trades, with the "everyone needs a degree" bo****ks. One of his many,many mistakes.
Between him and maggie they really screwed up this country, the odd thing is though, they were on opposite sides - well in theoryanyway.
minimutly

« Reply #8462 on: October 17, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »

Ha, just read the previous page, pretty much all in agreement aren't we, except i may be a tad more optimistic about the return of apprenticeships.
One thing is forcertain though, while china can make and export stuff cheaper than we can the demand for the skills to make them will stay in china.
I'm on or or two otherforums, one of them being alloyavenue.com, a metalcasting forum. It seems the skill is flourishing in peples back yards, with the help of the internet of course.
Sorry for the continued hijack....
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8463 on: October 17, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »

Erm, I shall not respond, as this is now way too political! and this is supposed to be about Mr. M's motor !....so perhaps I may suggest that for those who must, then a political "rant" forum might be more appropriate, sorry Andy, perhaps not my place, but..... Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8464 on: October 17, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »

Most threads tend to wobble off track..oops  Undecided

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8465 on: October 17, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »

Grin I'd better do some work on the Pop tomorrow to get this back on track!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8466 on: October 18, 2015, 07:34:24 PM »

Nothin' to see here. Move along.

Busy at Chez Loon today, with a couple of his VW buddies helping to refit a Golf that's due for delivery tomorrow. So I kept out of the way & tinkered with my bike instead. Drifted over in the afternoon to work on the Pop roof. It's very nearly as good as it's gonna get, at least for now. A few gentle dips here & there, rather than the ridges & ripples it had before. The satin paint will disguise most of that. It's never going to be a show car, but should be presentable now. Hopefully it doesn't look like a car that's been cut in half now.
I'm on holiday at the moment, but have spent the whole year messing with vehicles & really need a break from it to recharge my mojo. The cab could be green by the end of the week, but I'm taking a few days off to go travelling.
Back to it next week with a vengeance.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:44:42 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #8467 on: October 18, 2015, 11:56:51 PM »

you going to visit , big bro ,, Huh??

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8468 on: October 19, 2015, 09:07:16 AM »

Aiming for Scotland, but will only have a couple of days later this week.

merv

« Reply #8469 on: October 19, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »

Well have a good time whatever you choose to do, we all need to recharge our battery's from time to time Smiley

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #8470 on: October 19, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »

Think I'd prefer somewhere warmer than Scotland ? But have a beer n chill dude? Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8471 on: October 19, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »

Smiley Not a hot weather person & I don't drink, so I'll just chill.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8472 on: October 19, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »

And I think Scotland is one of your favourite places?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #8473 on: October 19, 2015, 04:00:52 PM »

Smiley Not a hot weather person & I don't drink, so I'll just chill.

call at ,bo,ness, grangemouth docks and have a look at jim horns, (rock n, roll motors)  stock 

pm, me and i,ll give you the contact details ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
terry t

« Reply #8474 on: October 19, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »

Went there early in the year to pick a bike up.  then thought that I would like tour round on the trike for a week or so Cool
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: