May 06, 2024, 03:42:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555862 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8205 on: June 16, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »

Maybe I should finish the paint in "splatters" down the side, so it looks like I've just thrown it on the front & it hasn't covered the whole car.

A "Whip"s also a slang term for a car wiv da kidz on da streetz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnrW54xPaY

I might leave the slats of the grille shell in gloss. An awful lot left to do & it ain't as pretty in real life as it looks in photos, but it's getting there.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:08:17 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
kapri

« Reply #8206 on: June 16, 2015, 01:58:55 PM »

Think I've still got some of those stickers somewhere Andy .
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8207 on: June 16, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »

It may not look as good in the flesh, but it still looks pretty damn good in the pix and it can't really be all that much worse!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
markju

« Reply #8208 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »

Think I've still got some of those stickers somewhere Andy .

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8209 on: June 16, 2015, 09:53:07 PM »

Cheesy
Since SAGA lowered their age limit to 50 a few years ago, I'm now old enough to have my daily driver insured with them.  Smiley

Rubbed the paint back to satin today -sorry Morrag -fettled a few bits around the engine bay, including connecting up the electric radiator fan, then fitted a set of polished stainless "Beauty Rings". These are kinda the opposite of hub caps -shiny trims that clip into the edge of the rim rather than the centre. I bought a set of 15" diameter ones for Taz's Dodge Charger, but sold it without fitting them. The Pop has 15" Hillman Minx wheels on the front & 16" London taxi cab ones on the back. Fortunately Miles at JackHammer Speed Shop sells them individually, so I bought a pair of matching 16s a while ago. Just a little mild bling to finish them off a bit.
I've also removed the glass from the doors today -it doesn't fit properly & doesn't slide up & down all the way, it's 6mm laminated when it should be 4mm toughened & it rattles about every time you open the doors. It just looks tidier without it. I'm also planning to add opening quarter lights using some interior trims I bought from American Ebay. So we'll be driving al fresco for a while.
Loony's rural workshop's quite a nice place to be on a Summer's evening. I finished the day rubbing filler down in the cab while watching the sun go down across the fields. Very pleasant.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:11:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Baychimp

« Reply #8210 on: June 17, 2015, 07:10:56 PM »

Those rings were very popular in the early days of rodding. Spay your steel wheels metalflake and pop a set of those on,instant bling. Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8211 on: June 24, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »

Smiley Don't really want too much sparkliness -it's a truck so I'm trying to keep it fairly plain & industrial/agricultural.

Nothing to show at the moment although I'm putting in some long evenings while the weather's good. I want to spray the interior bulkhead around the dashboard green before I re-fit the dash, but I've also taken the headlining panel out to get the upholstery fixed, (it's covered in tuck n roll vinyl but the glue had come unstuck & it had gone baggy). So while that's out I may as well spray the framework around the inside of the roof -& while I'm doing that I could paint ...& so it goes on.
I've resisted the urge to go any further, but will paint as much of the interior metal as I can while the upholstery's out. It's not the final paint, (that won't get done till I take the body off the chassis, maybe next year), so is just aerosol cans. I'm spending a few afternoons/evenings smoothing some corners & bridging between different levels of sheet steel with some filler, but rubbing it down again's a bugger of a job & pretty soul destroying. It won't be perfect, just good enough to drive without looking too shabby, I hope.

Olds

« Reply #8212 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:16 PM »

Slowly getting there Andy. It will be well worth all the effort once done, you just have to keep at it, and get through the tedious bits that take forever.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8213 on: June 24, 2015, 08:48:21 PM »

Tedious doesn't even begin to cover it Dave. Trouble is, if I don't get it up to a reasonable level of finish, it's just going to really bug me every time I drive it.
I was chatting to Loon today about the current trend for "traditional" hotrods -model Ts, model As etc. They're so basic, you can strip one down to the chassis in a couple of hours with a hammer & a stick, paint the chassis & bolt it all back together in an afternoon. The Pop's got so much more fiddly bodywork to sort out -so has your project of course, but you've built most of it in the time it's taken me to sort out my interior.  Sad
My mate Welsh Tony posted this photo on FaceBook yesterday. He's the scrutineer at Shakespeare County Raceway in Warwickshire & he & my brother had pinched the Pop for the afternoon at the Hotrod Drags -then he pointed out that was 2 years ago.  Sad I think it's improved since then, but sometimes I'm not so sure.

scannerzer

« Reply #8214 on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:33 PM »

oh it has improved,suddenly everything will come together and it will be done
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8215 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »

Aw damn, that pic reminds me how much I like the unpainted version - and I was sort of getting used to the idea of paint!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
kapri

« Reply #8216 on: June 25, 2015, 08:16:57 AM »

It's the whole Hot rod vs Street rod ethic Andy . You are wanting it 'refined' as opposed to bare bones and rattly. Both have their place and appeal but the appeal of hot rods to many IS their simplicity and lack of finish.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8217 on: June 25, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »

Grin Sorry Bobbi, but several of the "don't paint it, you'll ruin it" crowd are now saying "that'll look really nice when it's fully painted".

Yes Kev, I've built enough hardtails & cut-down "street bikes" in my time to appreciate the less is more ethic, but having clocked up 4 1/2 thousand miles in the first year in the Pop, it was a bit of an assault on the senses to drive -after 100 miles you really knew you'd driven 100 miles. A lot of fun, but physically tiring. Hopefully soundproofing it all will greatly reduce the ear bashing & just generally fitting out the interior will make it more pleasant on longer journeys -I fully intend to put in some serious miles once it's back on the road.

kapri

« Reply #8218 on: June 25, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »

Boy, you're getting old ! LOL   Getting out feeling like you've had an hour tumbling in a cement mixer is all part of the 'fun'.  Shocked Wink
kapri

« Reply #8219 on: June 25, 2015, 06:45:58 PM »

To be honest it's a thing I often mull over , fit IFS / IRS R&P etc etc and have an old looking car that drives like a modern car or keep as much old tech as poss to experience old style motoring where you can scare yourself silly at much slower speeds?  I don't havet he answer though so tend to alternate from one styl eto another with each build. Same as I like screaming 4s AND lazy 8s
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: