May 06, 2024, 09:25:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556037 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8100 on: April 18, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »

Cheesy yeah, it's a 10 foot car -looks fine from that distance.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8101 on: May 03, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »

Just to show I'm still working on this-
grille shell & wheel archey bits hung out of the way at the back of Mr Loon's paint booth, awaiting a coat of his own 2 pack filler/primer & a top coat of green.
The arch panels connect the grille to the main body & are made from the tops of the original inner wings with 8mm round bar added to form a rolled bottom edge. They're actually PantherShaun's inner wings as I swapped mine for his cos he wanted the full panel & his were rusted out. They had a couple of unwanted bolt holes that needed filling, but the metal was so thin they burnt away when Loon welded them. So they now have added steel strips on the inside faces.
Although it doesn't always show, almost every part of the Pop's been uprated in some way since it was last on the road.

That's a customer's red VW beach buggy waiting for Loon's attention by the way.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:23:28 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8102 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »

Meanwhile I've been working on the bulkhead.
Loon welded the curved recess panels into the inside faces of the arch panels, (does that make sense?), to clear the exhaust headers. If you've been paying attention you'll know I boxed in these panels as they were only single skinned before, but forgot how tight the exhausts ran to the outer skin.
I'm not confident at welding thin sheet steel without warping it out of shape, plus my welder's out on long term loan to Chris at the moment, so Lunatic's handling all the welding duties, which means I need to wait for him to have the time to do it, (he's currently rebuilding a camper van chassis & floor).
A bit awkward to reach now everything's in the engine bay, but Loon managed the welding without damaging anything & I was able to use a Black n Decker power file to grind the welds flush, then tidied them with a couple of layers of filler. This afternoon I finished sanding it back & blew on a couple of coats of yellow aerosol filler/primer. Some big runs in it cos it was done in the cold outside, but should sand out O.K
Hopefully, once these panels are green again, they'll look like they've always been there & people will think we've been really clever by creating little recesses especially for the exhausts!  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:43:35 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8103 on: May 03, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »

I'd like to get everything up to the door hinges painted green before it's back on the road, including around the windscreen so I can seal the edges with some black silicone cos the rain's creeping in at the moment. If we can do that I'll be able to carry on with the rest of the body over the Summer without having to disconnect anything in the engine bay so we can keep driving it.

Olds

« Reply #8104 on: May 03, 2015, 08:32:26 PM »

Progress.   Smiley
No changing the manifolds now then.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8105 on: May 03, 2015, 08:38:25 PM »

Not unless they come straight up through the bonnet! Maybe I could use the recesses to carry emergency jelly baby rations or something. Or for toasting bacon sarnies on the manifolds.
Each time I've mixed up body filler, I've used the excess up on the back of the cab. Just playing with the swage line here & trying to tidy up the "M" for Manky. Constantly fighting surface rust, so every time I rub it back to bare metal I have to protect it with aerosol paint afterwards -the joys of working outdoors. I need to cut & tweak the swage line at each end cos it doesn't line up with the lines on the doors properly.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8106 on: May 03, 2015, 08:43:23 PM »

The rocker covers were on the engine when I bought it & will be swapped for the finned aftermarket ones I had on the old engine before we're done.
You can see the stainless pipe here that bypasses the heater, as well as the black powder-coated bracket I had to make to relocate the fuel regulator valve. Most of this stuff will be hidden by the big new shiny air filter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:44:55 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #8107 on: May 04, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »

looking good andy, is there a deadline now?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8108 on: May 04, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »

There's always a deadline, but they come & go & we're still not on the road!
I was aiming for next weekend's Basingstoke transport festival, but it won't make that. Even if Loon could paint everything & the engine fired up first try & ran perfectly, I can't afford to MOT, tax & insure it for several weeks.
I wanted to take it to Hipsville at Bisley, (same venue as the Hotrod Hayride), in a couple of weeks time, cos it's fairly local & they have a drive-in car show on the Sunday, but it won't make that either.
Loon's planning to go to the Jesters car club party at the end of May, over your way, (Norfolk/Lincoln). I can't make it cos I have to work all day on Saturdays, but it'd be nice if I could give him the keys for a long distance road test, (his trade insurance covers him to drive it & the agreement's always been that he can use it when I'm not). Might be an incentive for him to break out the green paint.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:53:22 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

spanners

« Reply #8109 on: May 08, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »

any,,, have you got spare rocker covers for sale??? have you got any old cyl heads that could be used to jig some exhuast headers/pipes  Wink Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8110 on: May 08, 2015, 07:51:12 PM »

Hi Mike. No covers I'm afraid & all the cylinder heads are attached to engines as far as I know, but I'll check.
Are you going for Rover power in the gasser now then?

spanners

« Reply #8111 on: May 08, 2015, 08:22:59 PM »

Hi Mike. No covers I'm afraid & all the cylinder heads are attached to engines as far as I know, but I'll check.
Are you going for Rover power in the gasser now then?

nope,,,its in something else,, and she,s ,,BLOWN,,, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #8112 on: May 10, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »

Found this ..................

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?59314-Tbucket-£6500-OBO

Shocked Wink

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Baychimp

« Reply #8113 on: May 10, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »

2010 that advert. Wonder if he managed to sell it.
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #8114 on: May 10, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »

2010 that advert. Wonder if he managed to sell it.

Read further down!! At the end of the posts!!

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: