May 06, 2024, 04:37:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555888 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8070 on: March 10, 2015, 11:28:40 PM »

Looks like my other on-going project, my Yamaha chop', will be going to my brother Brock's workshop over the Easter weekend, so Wheelsday, or the alternative rod show being planned near Andover, Hants, may be out for me anyway this year.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
lunatic

« Reply #8071 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »

I think I've made it out the other side now! Feeling decidedly better today. It's been five or six days though.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8072 on: March 11, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »

Mornin'. I'm losing track of the days -think I'm on day 4 now. Thinking about venturing out of the house for some fresh air today so must be on the mend. Royal Mail aren't the most caring employers in the World & certainly won't think any more of me if I go back early, so I'll probably stay off for the rest of the week now.
So I can blame you for this can I?  Tongue

terry t

« Reply #8073 on: March 11, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »

Looks like my other on-going project, my Yamaha chop', will be going to my brother Brock's workshop over the Easter weekend, so Wheelsday, or the alternative rod show being planned near Andover, Hants, may be out for me anyway this year.
No No,Get pop done then put Yamaha in the back go to wheels day, then go to Brock's  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8074 on: March 11, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »

Cheesy only 3 feet of load space in the pick-up bed Terry -I'd have to cut the bike into 3 pieces to get it in.

Things to do:
Weld up the grille shell, add a little filler to the outside then paint inside & out.
Weld new sections into the arch panels, (to clear the exhausts), fill & paint.
Ideally take the fuel tank out of the bed & sort out the cracked filler in it & repaint before it has fuel in it.
Bolt on exhaust headers, which will then hopefully fit.
Re-bleed the brakes, (still not up to scratch).
Re-fit the dashboard - the remote brake servo's mounted behind it so I need to bleed that first.
Clean up the interior that's covered in filler dust & maybe pull out the ill fitting door glass, just to make it look tidier.
Scrub off as much surface rust as I can, both on the bodywork & the chassis.

Check all the electrics work, (all new switches fitted & all the lights etc removed for coating as well as new engine of course).
Add fuel & water, check for leaks & hopefully fire up.
Spend weeks trying to get it running right, then MOT & pay for a years road tax as well as a years insurance which has probably run out by now.

So probably not ready for Wheelsday in 2 weeks time.

Baychimp

« Reply #8075 on: March 11, 2015, 08:40:53 PM »

Mornin'. I'm losing track of the days -think I'm on day 4 now. Thinking about venturing out of the house for some fresh air today so must be on the mend. Royal Mail aren't the most caring employers in the World & certainly won't think any more of me if I go back early, so I'll probably stay off for the rest of the week now.
So I can blame you for this can I?  Tongue
Might as well be hung for a Sheep than a lamb.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8076 on: March 11, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »

Baaah.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8077 on: March 14, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »

Haven't touched the Pop for a week now. Had 5 days off work & feel as rough now as I did at the start. Not in the same league as most of you lot I know, (we do seem to attract more than our share of ill people), but not had the enthusiasm to stand out in the cold working on it. Roll on the warmer weather.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8078 on: March 19, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »

Still not a lot to report, but things are slowly moving forward.
Back at work this week, though still can't shift the last of my cold.
I've welded up all the unwanted trim holes & tacked-together sections of the grille shell & this afternoon added a skim of filler over the outside. Not much, but it's progress.

poprodder

« Reply #8079 on: March 20, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »

yep any progress is good, all mine is in the bathroom this week!!!! plumbing, plastering, shower tray, tiling etc etc etc!!!!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8080 on: March 25, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »

Still feeling lousy -got a hacking cough that I just can't shift, that various people have diagnosed as a chest infection. It's just making me feel run down -tired & aching all the time, especially after trudging the streets delivering the Mail all day. I know I should be grateful for generally good health & I am, but this is why there hasn't been much Pop progress for a while.
I'm still working on the grille shell. I've welded some 8mm round bar around the bottom edge to finish off the curved arch sections we created when we first built it & I'm busy blending various panels together so that they, (hopefully), flow nicely. Pops normally have wide front arches that bolt to either side of the grille shell. When they're removed, (mine didn't have any when I bought it), the grille's quite square edged & just looks like it's missing something. I'm trying to create something that stands alone & looks complete without arches. A little more filling & I can blow some primer on it to see how it looks.

Mendalot

« Reply #8081 on: March 25, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

We all know your secret now ....... you've gone into the BBQ making business, anyone for Manky Monkey Bangers?  Tongue

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8082 on: March 25, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »

Smiley

gazzagood

« Reply #8083 on: March 25, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »

Every little helps so they say👍
At least it's progress keep up the good work. Warm weather here soon😜😜

I always know what I'm doing. Can you help me
PLEASE
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8084 on: April 03, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »

*sigh*.
A week's holiday from work & I'd planned to catch up with some work on the Pop. Unfortunately, my ill health has decided to step things up a notch too. I've now developed a bad back. For the first few days of the week I could barely bend enough to put my socks on. So much pain.  Sad  It's making me feel very run down, miserable & uncharacteristically grumpy -so apologies if I'm not very chirpy at the moment.
So Pop work's been restricted to a couple of slow & careful afternoons of rubbing filler down on the grille shell. It's getting there, but I'm beginning to feel the damn thing will never get back on the road.
To cheer myself up, I went shopping on American Ebay a little while ago. I now own a pair of 1942 American Ford interior window trims, with built in quarter lights. 50 quid the pair from a guy in Massachusetts -"They're from a '42, so could be Military issue, right at the start of the War". Yeah, maybe for you guys. We started without you.  Smiley
The original Pop trims would have been Bakelite, but weren't with my body shell when I bought it. I bought fibreglass copies from Pop Browns but wasn't looking forward to trying to bond them to the doors, (I hate working with fibreglass), & needed extensive modifying anyway. These are steel, which means they can be cut & welded as much as necessary, then welded direct to the doors, which should help the little bit of flexing in the window frames.
The quarter lights are attached to the trims, rather than the door frame & will obviously need re-shaping, but will add an interesting detail to confuse other Pop owners & make cutting new door window glass easier. They wind open. The mechanisms are there but the little handles are missing, so I'll probably pick up a second hand pair of Pop window winders & cut them down. The door panels are due to be recovered so I can cut holes for the winding handles then.
No rush to work on the doors, but thought I'd grab these while they were for sale.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:04:16 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: