May 06, 2024, 09:06:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1556023 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7845 on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »

No we didn't! Took it into the workshop at work this morning & they checked it over for me. Spins fine. As you say, we hadn't energised the solenoid by touching a length of wire from the live terminal to the spade terminal. Mr Loon & I both assumed it would bypass the solenoid & spin. I've never worked on anything with a pre engaged starter before. Something new learnt.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:24:41 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #7846 on: December 17, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »

I have to admit I am also to blame here,  I assumed that connecting to the field coil connection should be enough to just spin the motor (but not to throw the starter gear). Huh
It did on every starter I've tested. 

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
kapri

« Reply #7847 on: December 17, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »

Pre-engaged type so solenoid energises and pushes a contact across internally. Without the starter solenoid energised there is no contact across the external terminals like on an inertia starter.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7848 on: December 17, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »

Well I know that nowCheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7849 on: December 18, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »

Olds

« Reply #7850 on: December 19, 2014, 08:11:09 AM »

Cheesy
 Think that may be the norm for home builds and a reason you see so many unfinished projects for sale         Just don't loose faith

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #7851 on: December 19, 2014, 08:41:18 AM »

Grin but, dry and sunny down here and heading your way!
kapri

« Reply #7852 on: December 19, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »

Cheesy
 Think that may be the norm for home builds and a reason you see so many unfinished projects for sale         Just don't loose faith

90% of projects NEVER get finished which is why I would never pick holes in anything that actually hits the road. Making it that far is a HUGE achievement.
hunter

« Reply #7853 on: December 19, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »

Same here lovely sunny day.

I
merv

« Reply #7854 on: December 19, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »

Same here lovely sunny day.

Same hear, nice sunshine

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Mendalot

« Reply #7855 on: December 19, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »

Love the graph.  We belong to the same club then Andy!!  2008 I started my Phaeton rebuild, only now am I nearing the end....... MOT by April 2015, weeeeellllllllll that's the plan Grin Grin

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7856 on: December 19, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

Andy, keep the faith! and anyway, you will only start something else when the Pop. is done,its what everyone does, isn't it? Huh Huh Huh Huh so, from someone just entering the fourth year of the three wheeler build!, might as well be this as Tongue............................................

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7857 on: December 22, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »

It's been very quiet on the projects front recently -anyone making progress or are we all too wrapped up in Christmas preparations?
Not much to see on the Pop at the moment, but I've been working on the roof again. Feels like I've thrown several hundredweight of filler on there already, but 80% of it gets sanded back off again. I've been using Mr Loon's surform, (a long, slightly flexible rasp), & it's very nearly there now. Just a couple of low spots to sort out. Still fighting the damp though -it's very depressing to pull the tarpaulin back & find the roof's covered in surface rust almost overnight. The sooner it's weather proofed the better.
Meanwhile I'm fitting various parts on the new engine. Loon & I nipped over to Jackhammer speed shop today where I bought a direct fit oil pressure gauge to match the water temperature one I bought a few weeks ago. These mount directly to the engine cos I didn't want any extra gauges in the new dashboard. Unfortunately when I got home I found it didn't read high enough so I had to turn round, go back & order another.
I've decided to dress the black powder coated steel wheels up with stainless "beauty rings" -polished rings that clip onto the edge of the rim in the same way hubcaps do. They're normally sold in sets of 4, but the Pop has 15" wheels on the front & 16s on the back. Fortunately Miles at Jackhammer sells them individually & had some 16s that match the 15s I've got left over from Tazet's Dodge Charger.
Miles sells coloured transparent fuel pipe & I've been looking at the green for a while now. I keep picking it up when I go there then putting it back. He had enough on the shelf to re-plumb around the engine bay, which I need to do to re-site the fuel regulator valve cos it fouls on the new air cleaner. He threw it in for free, so that's another job that needs doing now.
No photos today, but if it's still light when I finish work tomorrow I'll post some then.
Nothing to see here, move along please.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 04:17:44 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

kapri

« Reply #7858 on: December 22, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »

Have you thought of just rollering a couple of coats of high build over the roof to get rid of the bare metal? Not really ideal to be covering as that will also make it sweat under the filler. A touch of colour added to te primer will provide a waterproof coating until the weather turns and allows you to do it in better conditions. You don't really want to be redoing all the filler work if it microblisters Sad
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7859 on: December 22, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »

Yeah, really hoping to get it covered between Christmas & New Year, mainly cos I'm fed up with doing it now.

Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: