May 05, 2024, 11:37:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1555660 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7800 on: November 26, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »

The mist was rolling in across the fields by the time I'd filled both sides of the roof & I had to cover it up again before it'd properly set. I spread plastic bin bags under the tarpaulin. Hopefully it won't freeze here tonight & it'll be O.K when I get back to it after work tomorrow.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Baychimp

« Reply #7801 on: November 26, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »

Makes you wish you could retire on a large pension doesn't it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7802 on: November 26, 2014, 08:14:52 PM »

Smiley The day Royal Mail offer it, I'll be gone Bob.
I decided fixing the roof took priority over fitting up the engine, but I want to get the motor water tight before the weather gets nasty. I've used the timing chain & water pump casings from the old engine so I'm currently swapping the mix & match collection of old rusty bolts for new bright zinc ones, (not keen on stainless steel any more after several instances of "galling," where stainless nuts & bolts seize together, usually in the most inaccessible places).

http://www.margnor-online.co.uk/thread_galling

Still got the Discovery rocker covers fitted at the moment, but these will be swapped for my finned ali' R & R Imports ones eventually. I've been perusing a few Discovery owners forums & chatting to a couple of guys on FaceBook & it seems my 9" diameter, 1 1/2" tall air filter could be a little restrictive. By chance there was also a thread on the Rods n Sods forum about it recently. General consensus seems to be 14" diameter & 3" tall. So I've just ordered a new one. If I'm running a rebuilt 3.5 motor, with 3.9 cam &, (eventually), 2" bore stainless exhaust, I may as well get it breathing correctly too. Of course, that'll mean relocating the fuel regulator valve, on it's nice new nickel plated bracket.
Still want to rub back the wrinkly black chassis paint & re-do it too. Although it looks fine here, it's not pretty & once the exhaust headers go on, it'll be difficult to reach.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:56:12 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7803 on: November 26, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »

Mr Loon's long term Rover P2 project, gaining fresh patina.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7804 on: November 26, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »

He's aiming for something like this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7805 on: November 28, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »

Today's job -collect my parts from the powder coaters.
I always use A & C Shotblasting in Newbury, Berkshire, cos they're quick, cheap & I've been going there for about 30 years. The last couple of jobs have been a little slower than usual though so maybe they're getting busier.
I dropped some parts off a couple of weeks ago & they'd normally be ready in a couple of days. So I drove over there after work this afternoon, just in time to get caught up in Newbury's well known evening rush hour mayhem. Took bloomin' ages to get to them.
Your 3 metal rods are done. That'll be a tenner please.
Erm, fine, but what about the other bits?
...what other bits?
Bugger.
I'd taken them the 3 connecting rods that form the steering linkage, plus the clips that hold the track rod ends & some spacers from the lever arm shock absorbers.
What did they look like?
A small plastic bag full of clips & spacers.
-half an hour of searching the workshop later & no sign of them.
They were cable-tied to the rods when I gave them to your mate.
Where was he when you gave them to him?
Sat in the forklift truck.
-Sure enough, there they were wedged in the footwell of the truck. So that'll be next week before they're done. Bugger.

But I did get home to find the new air cleaner had arrived.

the coppersmith

« Reply #7806 on: November 28, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »

Our local paint and shot blast shop has a container full of found bits, usually from the shot blast container. He just points and says "it may be over there" Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7807 on: November 28, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »

Grin I love the guys at A & C, (Albie & his son Craig. Albie used to work on the Scottish oil rigs & they still do a lot of oil pipeline fittings), cos they do a good, no nonsense job for real world prices. Their workshop's always full of interesting stuff -old Victorian radiators, Arga cookers, motorcycle frames, ornamental garden stuff etc. Today they had a chassis & a pair of "bomber" seats for a Riley engined hill climb car. God knows how they keep track of everything that comes in. 

Oh, I also had a litre of black paint mixed up at the paintshop around the corner from the shotblasters, to re-paint the Pop chassis.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:33:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7808 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:56 PM »

God knows how they keep track of everything that comes in. 

Erm - apparently they don't!    Wink

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7809 on: November 28, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »

Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7810 on: November 29, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »

Another heavy day at work -the pre Christmas rush has really kicked in now. Absolutely shattered by the time I'd finished & got to the workshop. Mr Loon was winding down for the day, so I tried the new air filter on my Holley carb.
The base has a very deep recess in it, so the filter sits low over the carb. I was worried it wouldn't clear the float bowls but it fits fine. Only problem is I'll have to remove it to adjust the mixture or tickover screws. I also need to resite the fuel regulator valve. This is the size recommended on all the Rover V8 forums I checked -almost twice the diameter & height of the one we ran last year. Maybe it'll run better with it, maybe it won't make any difference, but it certainly fills the engine bay.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7811 on: November 29, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »

Carburettor bling.

Mendalot

« Reply #7812 on: November 29, 2014, 08:07:20 PM »

Coming along nicely Andy ...... looks great Cool

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
the coppersmith

« Reply #7813 on: November 29, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »

Cool once you got it set up you wont need to remove it again Cool I love Rover V8's, something very, um, British? about them. So, is the bling the first step to "de-rattting"? Cool
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #7814 on: November 29, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »

Well, whilst I can see where you are coming from Mr. C, I feel that Buick might disagree some what!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.....

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: